The Octagon Bar - get your rocks off honey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a dream about Edge last night, totally random. I was at a show, in the front row (ah, the memories :drool:, lol), and afterwards all these people were getting pulled up on stage and he and Bono were signing autographs. Everyone was making a beeline for Bono (of course) but I went right up to Edge and said, "Hi, Edge!" like a complete dork. :der: He took the Achtung Baby album that magically happened to appear in my hands and signed it. Funny thing about this dream, he looked like he did back during Lovetown. :scratch:

OK, that is all. :shifty:

hi folks :wave:

:kiss: Pax

hi Laura, tell us all about your holiday NOW!!! umm, please. it's not disrespectful to what's happened in London, it's the opposite...lets not let the murderers get what they want - disruption to our freedom and our normal way of living. i want to hear all about Prague.

just seen your photos, particularly like 'Flaming Tourist' :lol: and 'Eric and the Alpendohlen' :lmao:

ok here goes nothing.

After a long flight (where i couldn't sleep) we arrived in Berlin. Our group had 17 people including the 2 teachers, and we met up with two other groups that had about 10 each. We checked into our hotel and had free time until dinner. So, on our very first day in Berlin, my friends and I were wandering around the neighborhood all on our own! None of us could believe that we were actually in Europe. I didn't find it too hard to adjust to the different language. The people seemed to speak very clearly so I could understand what they were saying here and there.

So we went to dinner and then had more free time after. There was a big gay festival going on down town and we figured that would be fun to go to. Several had already left, so four of us decided to meet them there. We took the overground and got off at the wrong stop, wandered around for miles until we found ourselves at the Brandenberg Gate. So here were four of us teenagers, our very first night in Berlin, sitting around at the Brandenberg Gate. It was amazing. So then we wandered around some more trying to figure out how to get back to the hotel. Each time we would ask someone directions they would tell us something different, so we ended up taking a taxi.

The next day we did a bus/walking tour of the city. We saw the Berlin Wall, Checkpoint Charlie, and other such landmarks. In the afternoon we had more free time so a group of us walked around with our teachers and went up into the big TV tower, that was cool. I started getting sick because of jetlag and allergies from a moldy hotel room, so i stayed in the second night.

(april if you want to see my photos tell me your e-mail and i'll send you an invite)

The next morning we left for Prague, and on the way we stopped in Dresden, Germany. This was a beautiful old town, all the ancient architecture was fascinating, especially to an American who never sees anything close to that old.

After spending an hour or two touring Dresden, we headed off to Prague again. At this point I had developed a fever, so as soon as we got back to the hotel after dinner I went straight to bed and slept for 11 hours, and when I woke up the next morning I was doing just fine.

That morning we had a walking tour, and that was when I fell in love with the city. Its freakin BEAUTIFUL!!! Everywhere we went there was some new thing that made us just drop our jaws. The Charles Bridge of course was the most beautiful part. The view of the city was amazing. In the afternoon we had free time again and just wandered around the streets going in and out of various shops. That evening we partied in the hotel, i had my first sip of Sambuka (i think that's how its spelled). It tasted good but it burnt like fire, so I didn't have any more.

U2democrat said:
(april if you want to see my photos tell me your e-mail and i'll send you an invite)

The next morning we left for Prague, and on the way we stopped in Dresden, Germany. This was a beautiful old town, all the ancient architecture was fascinating, especially to an American who never sees anything close to that old.

Your Dresden pics were my favorites. :up:

So, the next morning we left prague and headed down to munich. We were excited to be heading back to germany so we could at least understand some of the language, as opposed to czech. To me, munich was the most livable city, I can definitely see myself living there one day. The city is gorgeous and the lifestyle is so much more laid-back. We went into the square that had the giant glockenspiel, that was cool to see. There were all sorts of different people and goings-on in the square, including some creepy mimes. That night we went to dinner, and then, to the Hofbrauehaus, the great beer hall. All I had was a few sips of my friend's beer and I was instantly drunk for my first time!!! I was a very giddy drunk, everyone was patting me on the back and trying to take incriminating pictures to send to the washington post :lol:. It didn't take me long to sober up though, and we continued to have fun until about one in the morning. That was a great night. The hotel people didn't appreciate us though :uhoh:

oh i left out dachau! how could i do a thing like that?

the day of the hofbrauehaus a group of us went to dachau, the concentration camp. words can't really describe what that place was like. look at the pictures, that's the only way to convey the feeling. very somber.

after munich we left for luzerne, switzerland. we did a quick stop for lunch in innsbruck, austria, and took another pitstop in liechtenstein. and of all places where i learned about sandra day o'connor's retirement, i was in a hole in the wall ice cream shop in liechtenstein!!!! :lmao:

so then we made it to luzerne, a BEAUTIFUL place! our hotel had the most amazing views of the lake and the surrounding mountains (as you will see in my photos) when we got to the hotel i was flipping through the channels and live8 was on 3 different stations so we all watched it (i started scaring people when they showed U2 perform 'one' :lol: ) It was too expensive to go into town so we just decided to hang out at the hotel that evening and enjoy the environment. The next day we did some touring of the city, which was, as you guessed it, beautiful. We also did a boat ride across the lake and went up mount pilatus. Check out the photos for that, some are really funny. That evening we went to a bar about a mile or two from the hotel (we walked) and after awhile we realized that it was a gay bar. It was funny watching the guys squirm.

The next day we left for Zurich, with all day to kill before the night train. We did a walking tour of the city with the CRAZIEST tour guide. He was fun though. Zurich was a cool city, except at one point me, two or three other students plus the two teachers were walking through a park together. We saw a homeless man bent over with his pants down, and at first we thought he had his head between his legs...then we realized it wasn't his head....he had elephantitis....:yuck::barf::crack:

hey Pax, Laura was in our spirtual home of Liechtenstein! :lol:

So finally night came around, and so did the train to go to Paris. Our compartments were teeny and uncomfortable...but oh it got worse, much worse.......(if you get easily queasy you better skip this part).

I woke up in the middle of the night feeling like i was about to vomit, but i was eventually able to calm myself down and get back to sleep. We arrived in paris at about 6 a.m., when we found out that 3 or 4 of the guys in the compartment next to us had been throwing up all night long. Some had missed around the toiled on the train. While I was out in the hall getting ready to get off the train, another guy walked out in the hall struggling to pull down the window, but he couldn't do it in time so he barfed all over the window and onto the floor. We all got off the train as quickly as possible, and as we were gathering out on the platform more guys continued to run to the side of the tracks and puke. We made it to the bus and were heading to breakfast, when we had to keep the doors of the bus open so one guy could puke out the bus as we were heading through the streets of paris. Finally we made it to the restaurant for breakfast, and more and more people kept filing outside to sit in the fresh air. The rest of us were getting extremely nervous, wondering who was next. We were supposed to go on a bus tour because we couldn't check into the hotel until AFTER DINNER. So our tour guide called the hotel and they were able to get two rooms ready for the sick people. At this point 2 girls, and 6 boys including one of my teachers were sick, so they made it into the hotel. That afternoon we went to the Louvre, and then out to dinner. More people got sick and started puking. At this point about half of the group was sick. It was crazy.

*end of the disgusting stuff*

So the next day, our last day in Paris, many decided to stay in while the rest of us wandered about the city. That evening those who had been sick were much better, and we went up to the top of the eiffel tower. It was magnificant. After that we took a boat ride to see the city lit up at night. The next morning at 6 a.m. we left for the airport and got safely home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom