The National

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
True, I didn't look to see if it was the whole thing. Still, better than nothing. Those behind the scenes clips are all pretty interesting. They're totally nerdy and normal. I like them.
I liked when she said he was good at "being debonair" and he immediately goes "Right!"

Trust me, I want to, but I think I'll hold off for now until the full show goes up (if it ever does). I'd like to see it all for the first time at once. Since I've never seen them live, and they don't have any shows planned for here yet, this show may be as close as I get for a while. If it goes another week or two, I'll just break and watch what we have.

If they release the whole show with those clips included, it would be cool as shit. But they edited those clips to make Anyone's Ghost look like the opener, when Mistaken for Strangers was, so they might have just straight up shortened that shit. That means songs like Little Faith, Lemonworld, and Conversation 16 all got cut.

well i can't really say i'm a big fan of this band. i really enjoy their more upbeat, rockier numbers, and there's a few of those of High Violet, but too many of their songs do absolutely nothing for me.

moving on...

People who like The National only for the fast songs are the saddest thing. There's like two an album.

I kind of agree though, in High Violet's case. Boxer, as much as I adore it, is a niche record for me, and High Violet has become one as well. It's just too fucking moody, and I wish they would show off their range a bit. Alligator was indigo, Boxer was navy blue, and High Violet is, well, you know. On the other hand, Bloodbuzz is pretty much the song of the year for me, or one of them, and The National still kind of rocks at not rocking.

All I know is, it would be a damn shame if The National didn't play at or near dusk in their upcoming festival performances.

I've heard it thrice now. Still need to find a new record player before I can give that sweet-ass vinyl a spin, but I've cashed in my mp3 download. Anyways, I'm still not sure if I like this album as much as I think I like it, if that makes sense. I want to love it, and I feel like I'm forcing that love, which was the problem I had with NLOTH last year. Once I got over the fact that it was a new album by one of my favorite bands, I was able to enjoy it a lot more. I think once I get over that hump with High Violet, I'll feel a lot better about it. For now, the jury's still out on this one.

Hey, guess who hasn't been ambulatory for a few days....

And you know what not being able to place an ounce of pressure on your right foot means, right?

I get to miss The National tonight. Yay!!! This is like the 1,845th concert I've missed in my life due to bullshit like this.

I'm not bitter, though.

I do at least get to see them in August, so there's that.

did you burn it in a George Foreman grill?

People who like The National only for the fast songs are the saddest thing. There's like two an album.

I kind of agree though, in High Violet's case. Boxer, as much as I adore it, is a niche record for me, and High Violet has become one as well. It's just too fucking moody, and I wish they would show off their range a bit. Alligator was indigo, Boxer was navy blue, and High Violet is, well, you know. On the other hand, Bloodbuzz is pretty much the song of the year for me, or one of them, and The National still kind of rocks at not rocking.

All I know is, it would be a damn shame if The National didn't play at or near dusk in their upcoming festival performances.

meh :shrug: Bloodbuzz Ohio is great.

To piss off NSW again for some reason:

I agree 100%. And this is why Sad Songs rocks. There's more variety and range on that and Alligator - you have your share of moodiness, rockiness, darkness, lightness, crazy unexpected screaming, even some electronica (Patterns of Fairytales) - and the Berninger sarcasm and wit has never worked better.

Not to say I dislike Boxer and High Violet - I'm a fan, but it's like they've decided not to take that many left-turns as before. I remember listening to Abel for the first time on Alligator and being positive this is not the same band as on the previous 9 songs. You have your share of gentle, baritone singing and then some crazy fool comes in, screaming hysterically how his mind's not right. :D Love it.

Hey, guess who hasn't been ambulatory for a few days....

And you know what not being able to place an ounce of pressure on your right foot means, right?

I get to miss The National tonight. Yay!!! This is like the 1,845th concert I've missed in my life due to bullshit like this.

I'm not bitter, though.

I do at least get to see them in August, so there's that.

"If your foot causes you to miss a concert, cut it off." I think one of yours said that.

Anyone's Ghost is the best song to promote the album on the talk show circuit. Really compact, great beat, chill vibe that works for nighttime listening. I think the album version is a little drab though, so Bloodbuzz is still a stronger single choice IMO. The National is typically really good at picking singles, and it's absolutely crucial now that they're reaching out to the stations where such things matter.

I would absolutely love to hear Conversation 16 on the radio sometime.

9/12 - Music Fest Northwest, Portland, OR
9/24 - Wellmont Theater, Montclair, NJ
9/25 - Carnegie Library Homestead, Pittsburgh, PA
9/27 - Brown Theater, Louisville, KY
9/29 - Uptown Theater, Kansas City, MO
9/30 - The Pageant, St. Louis, MO
10/02 - Murat Egyptian, Indianapolis, IN - pre-sale at 10 am on 6/4.
10/03 - Ryman Auditorium, Nashville, TN (this show is not on sale yet, please check back following Bonnaroo)
10/04 - Memorial Hall, Raleigh, NC
10/05 - Fox Theater, Atlanta, GA
10/06 - House of Blues, Orlando, FL
10/08 - House of Blues, Houston, TX - pre-sale at 10 am on 6/2
10/09 - House of Blues, Dallas, TX - pre-sale at 10 am on 6/2
10/10 - Austin City Limits Festival, Austin, TX
10/13 - Rialto Theater, Tucson, AZ
10/14 - Marquee Theater, Tempe, AZ
10/16 - Fox Theater, Pomona, CA - pre-sale at 10 am on 6/4
10/18 - Fillmore Auditorium, Denver, CO

Decisions, decisions. Hold out for an Austin aftershow, or try to hit up Dallas and/or Houston. But there's certainly a gap in between Tucson and the ACL date for them to play a true show in Austin... right?

They really hate this place, and their hate makes me hate this place. Are all of those shows with Okk Riv? EDIT: Never mind, Owen Pallet.

They're with Owen Pallett, whose latest I never actually got around to listening to.

Yeah, I edited that into my last statement.

I may have to make a road trip to see them, as they're one of the very few bands I've loved for years and never seen.

Worth your trouble. I'm definitely not going to ACL, so that date's out, but I'm absolutely going if they do an aftershow, which wouldn't surprise me. I'd also entertain the idea of going to the other two Texas shows. Could be a pricey weekend, but it'd be worth the trouble. They're one of maybe two bands (Radiohead the other) I'd follow around like that.

Back
Top Bottom