The National

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Dead Weather debut at #5.

If the number of units sold doesn't undermine the significance of The National's accomplishment, this does; I honestly didn't hear a word about Sea of Cowards in any mainstream publication, and the word of mouth hasn't been terribly persuasive either.

Kind of psyched for them anyways. Plus, it feels good to see extremely good music crack Billboard. Between Justin Bieber and MGMT, High Violet stands out like a sore thumb.

The National has no one even remotely as popular as Jack White. Even if they're not in the mainstream, Jack White's got fans in a lot of places.

The National has no one even remotely as popular as Jack White. Even if they're not in the mainstream, Jack White's got fans in a lot of places.

This is a good point. I've had people at work ask me about Dead Weather, people I never would have expected. When I saw them live, I was shocked how many people were there, and how essentially everyone crapped their pants every time Jack White decided to play guitar or sing. I guess there's a lot of White Stripes fans with money.

is that heap of shit in the upper reaches of the Billboard charts?

Congratulations actually debuted higher than High Violet will, without the benefit of a strong single or critical support, but with the benefit of Kids and Time To Pretend.

The drums in Sorrow are killing me right now. Fucking love that little off-kilter rhythm. Definitely one of my favorites on the album.

Also been listening to Apartment Story a lot recently.

stay inside 'til somebody finds us
do what the fuck ever the TV tells us
stay inside our rosy minded fuzz

High Violet is an awesome amazing album. I really want to get ACL tickets this year, mainly to see The National.

Also, it appears that it's actually going to be #3, according to someone from Beggars. Officially, Billboard updates tomorrow at noon, but that's the word.
It should be noted that even though it's number three on the Billboard 200, this does mean that in the United States, the number one rock album, the number one independent album, the number one alternative album ... High Violet.

And to self-answer my question about how tall those guys are, my conclusions:

Bryan Devendorf is 6'6", Matt Berninger is 6'3", Scott Devendorf is 5'11", and the Dessner twins are 5'8".

I actually think Bryan might be 6'7", but an article somewhere put him at 6'6", so I guess that's reliable. Berninger is taller than Letterman, who is 6'2". The other ones are just guesses.

And to self-answer my question about how tall those guys are, my conclusions:

Bryan Devendorf is 6'6", Matt Berninger is 6'3", Scott Devendorf is 5'11", and the Dessner twins are 5'8".

I actually think Bryan might be 6'7", but an article somewhere put him at 6'6", so I guess that's reliable. Berninger is taller than Letterman, who is 6'2". The other ones are just guesses.

Bryan's the only one I haven't actually met, so it's hard to say. Only slyly (from a yard away) observed him warming up on a practice stool or whatever drummers call it, so sitting down doesn't lend toward guessing his height. Scott's about my height, so six even, and MB definitely had a bit on me, let's put it at 6' 2". The Dessners are a bit shorter than the rest, probably 5' 10".

High Violet is an awesome amazing album. I really want to get ACL tickets this year, mainly to see The National.

Don't do it, man. From one Austinite to another: wait for the inevitable aftershow. It'll happen. Too lucrative for it to not happen. Don't support C3 bringing shit lineups to their hometown festival while breaking the bank in Chicago.

I say this while fully aware that C3 also (mostly) puts on the aftershows.

I find the height interesting simply because most bands are composed of really short people. If I join a band, I would maintain that stereotype.

I finally bought High Violet today. Favourite song early on has got to be Afraid of Everyone.

I'm not usually one to make predictions like this, but I'll be highly surprised if this album does not end up as my choice for album of the year. There's a somber atmosphere about it that is maintained brilliantly throughout, and "Bloodbuzz Ohio" is Ohio put to song, a perfect distillation. That song is how it feels to live in Ohio.

Is that concert available to watch yet?

How dare this band not provide me with free entertainment?!

Although, they now have "director's cuts" up with funny clips before them, I think from video shoots. Like Bryan being worried about poison ivy and everyone making fun of him.

Well, that's not all the songs. That's like half of the concert.

True, I didn't look to see if it was the whole thing. Still, better than nothing. Those behind the scenes clips are all pretty interesting. They're totally nerdy and normal. I like them.

Back
Top Bottom