The "I hate...." Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nathan1977 said:
^ Welcome to the cost of sacrifice, I guess....

nah.

welcome to the sadistic mind of Mel Gibson who made little more than a grotesquely bloody snuff film who's centerpiece (the scouring) isn't even mentioned in 3 of the 4 gospels. and, as i mentioned, you'd be dead or in a state of extreme shock and far, far too weak from bloodloss to even begin to think about carrying a cross. and where in the bible does it mention a crow pecking out the eyes of one of the criminals also being crucified that day?

the only explanation for the level of violence (that really has no historical basis) is easy cinematic emotional blackmail. Gibson needs his money shots.

it's a film that no child should see. i'd rather a 10 year old sit through "Saw" than "the Passion."

i suppose i was most disturbed by the fact that many people obviously felt there was something spiritually exalting about such extreme, gratuitious violence. in general, i found it to be a repulsive masochistic fantasy with a worldview fixed firmly in the 12th century.

i dunno. i always thought that crucifixion was a terrible way to die, but it was a rather commonplace practice. the point wasn't that that Jesus suffered more than any human being ever has on a physical level, but that his suffering was profound and voluntary.

but that's not gonna get you $300m in domestic box office.

(/rant off)

i cant watch that movie again. it was horrifying. i wont even allow my daughter to watch it.

This is obviously a side track - but talk to a historian and a doctor regarding the practices of scourging and crucifixion, and my guess is that you will find the movie's depiction horrific, yet accurate.

i hate:
people who call u2 (my mates)
people who call larry gay (my mates again)
when chelsea loose
people who have tons of money and dont give any to charity
TEACHERS!!!
the dentist
walking to school on my own
washing up

and above all, my dads attitude towards me!!:mad:

nbcrusader said:
This is obviously a side track - but talk to a historian and a doctor regarding the practices of scourging and crucifixion, and my guess is that you will find the movie's depiction horrific, yet accurate.

and my understanding, based on doing some reading, is that the movie is inaccurate. only one of the four gospels mentions the scourging. yes, both were common practices, but one would essentially prevent the other from happening since you'd be dead after the scourging depicted in the film.

again: the crow picking out the eyes? the dislocating of his shoulder? the focus ONLY on blood at the sake of everything else? the devil children who chase Judas? the androgenous satan character? the snarling Jewish high priest caricatures with several shots of their hook noses?

i repeat the point: Jesus did not suffer more than anyone ever (as the film would have you believe). Jesus did suffer voluntarily.

i hate when people have expectations of me to change my beliefs because its the "politically correct" thing to do.

Irvine511 said:

and my understanding, based on doing some reading, is that the movie is inaccurate. only one of the four gospels mentions the scourging.

And knowing the co-writer of the film, and the research he did, I am confident saying you're wrong.

But this isn't what this thread is about. So la la la...

nathan1977 said:

And knowing the co-writer of the film, and the research he did, I am confident saying you're wrong.

But this isn't what this thread is about. So la la la...

well, during the scourging scene Jesus is nearly flayed alive, back and front by whips embedded with shells, glass and nails. my understanding is that the Gospels (and i think only one of them, and it's more implied) state only that he was scourged, which is to say beaten, not flayed, and Jewish law at the time would have limited it to 39 lashings.

this is not to say it wasn't terrible. it is to say that Gibson is taking questionable dramatic license.

and knowing Gibson as a director, and his fascination with violence, and particularly the ending of Braveheart, it all makes much more sense.

and, still:

the dislocating of the shoulder?
the crow pecking out the criminal's eye?

I hate
-having diabetes
-not feeling in control of situations
-myself, some days.
-Rush Limbaugh
-homophobics
-violence
-The O.C.(the show, not the area :wink: )
-smoking
-how religion seems to divide people more than unite
-high gas prices

Irvine511 said:

well, during the scourging scene Jesus is nearly flayed alive, back and front by whips embedded with shells, glass and nails. my understanding is that the Gospels (and i think only one of them, and it's more implied) state only that he was scourged, which is to say beaten, not flayed, and Jewish law at the time would have limited it to 39 lashings.

this is not to say it wasn't terrible. it is to say that Gibson is taking questionable dramatic license.

and knowing Gibson as a director, and his fascination with violence, and particularly the ending of Braveheart, it all makes much more sense.

and, still:

the dislocating of the shoulder?
the crow pecking out the criminal's eye?

The Jewish law of 39 lashing was set because they felt that a person could survive 39, but not 40. Of course, since the Romans are the culprits here, I'm not sure if they cared.

Mel Gibson didn't do his homework, though. Even the crack-pot scientists on all those History Channel, Discovery Channel, National Geographic channel shows about the crucifixion admit that a man could not walk as many miles as Gibson had Jesus walking with a cross. On the most recent Science of the Bible about the crucifixion, they actually have a guy try to carry a cross and he couldn't move it an inch. Then, they had him carry just a cross beam, and he could carry that less than a quarter-mile. The actor had not been victim of the cat of nine tales either.
Most scholars now believe that the cross actually was a T. In fact, the earliest artifact depicting Jesus being crucified shows him on a T instead of a t.

I hate Mel Gibson's work. His new movie looks like it's going to find blame within the Aztec community for their demise, not the Catholic missionaries who butchered the indigenous people. A really interesting book about that time is Broken Spears. It's a collection of writings from the indigenous people about the missionaries. The writings are all from after the invasion, so they couldn't write anything overtly negative about the Spaniards. What they did write is incredible though.

Illumination70 said:
Oops, I almost forgot another one. I hate people who will use pregnancies or their children to control others.

That just reminded me of something else I hate: I hate the leashes some mothers use on their children. Your child is a human, not an animal!

I hate people with superiority complexes who seemingly have nothing better to do than to display them, I also hate when people can't recognize that quality in their friends.

I hate it when people play games

I hate myself some days too, I hate it much more when I let other people make me feel badly about myself

I hate it when I think someone is wonderful and it turns out I was wrong. I hate when my instincts are wrong and it causes me pain. I also hate it sometimes when they're right.

I hate the fact that I have crawled back into my shell in order to avoid being hurt, but I love it too-it's comfortable.

I hate that I am afraid to tell some people what I really think, and what I really think about them. I hate that I am still a people pleaser in many ways.

I hate days when everything goes wrong and you should have just stayed in bed, which is the kind of day I am having today. I'm afraid of what could go wrong next :uhoh:

I hate falling asleep before Boston Legal is over and not taping it :angry:

MrsSpringsteen said:
I hate days when everything goes wrong and you should have just stayed in bed, which is the kind of day I am having today. I'm afraid of what could go wrong next :uhoh:

I hate falling asleep before Boston Legal is over and not taping it :angry:

You would've loved it....lots of shirtless Brad.

I saw the first shirtless Brad, there was more? I missed the kissing too, they showed more kissing in the commercial. I know she said she would be FWB w/ him, sounds like a good plan to me :wink:

And my loyalty remains w/ Spader, no matter how many times Brad takes his shirt off

blueyedpoet said:

A really interesting book about that time is Broken Spears. It's a collection of writings from the indigenous people about the missionaries. The writings are all from after the invasion, so they couldn't write anything overtly negative about the Spaniards. What they did write is incredible though.

And how do you know THAT'S accurate?
It sounds like you might be a little bias???

MrsSpringsteen said:
I think she was just giving me a hug, I don't think she hates me :wink:

Thanks Golightly Grrl

You're very welcome.

I hate that since I was mugged and beaten last year, I have grown more fearful and less self-confident. My self-esteem is in shreds and sometimes the tears are too close to the surface.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom