The Edge to be on 102.1 the Edge / Alan Cross Reviews 'Get On Your Boots'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something is out of place here; he is already posting a review of the finished song and U2.com still uses Bomb visual identity...

I thinks it's fairly common these days for bands to relaunch their websites only a matter of days before the album launch. The bands/record company execs don't want to give away too much regarding the album's style/concept/artwork.

I've seen it a lot lately with other bands I follow closely (Smashing Pumpkins, Killers, Cure, Snow Patrol, James Reyne, Muse, Dear Leader etc). The usual practice with those bands has been to close their site except for the title page - then relaunch with a 30 second loop of the single followed by a full relaunch when the album drops.

So I expect we have another week or 2 to wait.

BUT, I am astounded with the amount of information in Q and Rolling Stone compared to the lack thereof on U2.com . We REALLY should have tracklistings for both the single and album by now - but we don't even have an official confirmation of the first single :(

First Review of GOYB

Here is the Alan Cross blog we've all been waiting for.

The Music Geek Blog - Explore Music

"Get On Your Boots” – A First Listen
Sunday, January 11, 2009

"Got it. 3pm?"

That was all, Paul, the record rep from Universal and fellow U2 fan, had to say. A highly-encrypted, heavily watermarked digital copy of the first single from No Line on the Horizon had arrived in Canada.

For the last 20-plus years, a first listen to anything from a U2 album has always been surrounded by much ritual and security. The first place I got to hear The Joshua Tree in 1987 was at the now defunct McLaughlin Planetarium in Toronto.

As the opening drone of “Where the Streets Have No Name Swelled,” the lights went down and the stars came out. When the Edge’s guitar began to chime, the whole sky started to rotate. It was a spectacular introduction to what would become a career-defining introduction.

Achtung Baby was a more low-key affair with a record company representative came in and played it for everyone—but not before we are treated to pizza and beer. “The Fly” kind of confused us at first.

This was the same band that gave us The Joshua Tree? What’s with all these new sounds? It took a little while to get used to this version of U2, but now many (including me) believe that Achtung remains the band’s best record.

Zooropa arrived with no notice whatsoever. It just…showed up on day in May 1993. Bands and labels could pull those kinds of surprises before the Internet. Funny that I can’t remember the first single. I think it was “Numb,” but I’m not sure.

The unveiling of Pop was a much bigger deal with a satellite-delivered press conference from (of all places) a K-Mart in NYC. But all the hype couldn’t convince us that “Discotheque” was what all had been waiting for.

U2 fans hoped that there’d be something better on the album. There wasn’t. At least the PopMart tour was interesting.

Just after Labour Day 2000, Paul brought in “Beautiful Day” from All That You Can’t Leave Behind on a CD-R, something that was still kind of new. I remember being relieved that U2 had decided to sound like U2 again.

I didn’t like “Vertigo” the first time I heard it. It was late August 2004 and Paul brought the CD-R to an industry golf tournament. He made me wait all eighteen holes before we sat in my car and listened to the song four times in a row.

It took another month before I began to get it. It’s now one of my three all-time U2 favourites (for the record, the other two are “Zoo Station” from Achtung Baby and the live version of “Bad” from Wide Awake in America. The long version of “All I Want Is You” and “40” aren’t bad, either.)

Now it was time to hear where the band was going in Year 33 (!!!) of their career.

Paul showed up in the office holding an unassuming, unlabeled CD-R at 3:01. By 3:04, we had all heard the first sample of U2 v2009.

I only got to hear “Get On Your Boots” (NOT “Sexy Boots” or “Get Your Boots On,” as reported earlier) so forgive the lack of detail. But here’s what I can tell you:

There are some new sounds that could only come from an Eno/Lanois production, which left me with a feeling similar to what I experienced when I heard “The Fly” for the first time.

This is NOT a back-to-basics guitar/bass/drums track like “Vertigo” or even “Beautiful Day.” There’s some definite sonic evolution going on here.

It does rock. To find the last time a first single was a ballad, you have to go all the way back to “With Or Without You.” That worked out all right, but I can’t imagine U2 doing that again in the prevailing musical environment.

Bono manages to rhyme “submarine” with “gasoline” and says something about “don’t talk to me about the state of nations.”

There’s a portion of the melody that somehow reminds me of the cadence of the verses in Elvis Costello’s “Pump It Up,” but as I write this, I’m not completely sure. Still, part of the song reminded me of…something else.

Did I like it? I didn’t hate it—but I need to hear it more before I really make up my mind about what I think about….anything to do with the song.

Like so many U2 songs—especially ones produced by an Eno/Lanois/Lilywhite nexus—it’s filled with far more subtleties and complexities that anyone can hear with one listen. I need to examine it, ponder upon it and otherwise live with it.

But that’s the cool thing about U2. There’s just so much THERE there that it can take a while to sort through it all. Suffice it to say, however, that if you’re a U2 fan, you’ll be pleased.

If the song isn’t on the radio by the end of this week, I’ll be shocked. I first heard bits of “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb” from a broadcast on a Croatian radio station. There was a leak at the record pressing plant and somehow this dude got himself a big scoop.

Tomorrow, I’ll tell you why that was a dumb, dumb move.

Alan sent me an email where he said he wanted to post on interference, but didnt know what thread. So I'm guessing it was him.

In any case, he's only heard one song, and by his last report only once, so it's not as if he has a superinside scoop on the album.

What astounds me is that we have NO official information about the album. Forget u2.com, there's been no press release about the album or the single. Which is ridiculous given that for both HTDAAB and ATYCLB, there was an official news release almost 3 MONTHS before the release date, stating title and tracklisting. I'm reasonably sure there was a similar horizon for Pop as well.

And the single's supposed to be out in a week? There's been absolutely NO fanfare, no announcements, nothing! In a sense, it's nice because there's been no feverish annoying anticipation and build up, but something just feels weird...

Simply awesome. :drool:

I like the sound of this. :hyper:

Like The Fly, a feeling like it, god, superb!

reading that entry definitely piques my interest. i'm trying to remain neutral on the song as well as the album as a whole only because i don't want to set some ridiculously high expectations for the album that couldn't be met. but reading his description of the song makes me happy.

it always amazes me that some threads get 300 people just waiting for some news that is a 10% of showing up, but the first review of GOYB has 26... (i know its early, and bad times for some etc..., just makes me laugh)

More sonic than Vertigo is all I needed to hear.

I've never even seen a Sonic, let alone eaten at one. I have had bouts of Vertigo, though.

As for the "review".......color me slightly encouraged.

Interference is a nest of insanity, but, lately, despite the chaos, it's reminded me of how very much I love the band and how fucking excited I'm getting over the album/tour.

Thanks for posting something concrete!

That wasn't one of your better merges, Khan. I give it a 5/10. Get your shit together. Oh, and ban NSW.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom