That's it, i am never having a Wedding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
if and when i find my future husband, he and i are flying to Vegas and getting married without a single member of our families there.

good grief, my brother's wedding has created so much damn drama in my family. it is not even funny anymore. i am not even part of the tangled feuds that are taking place right now, but it is starting to piss me off and i am very close to telling my sister-in-law to fucking grow up and to grow a spine.

i have never seen one wedding go off without families fighting. my poor brother, he is in California and has no idea how immature his family here at home is behaving.

:tsk: all the parties who are fighting should be very ashamed of themselves.

so yeah whoever i end up marrying will be happy to know we are sure as hell are not having a formal wedding, we are doing it Vegas style and will not even tell our families about it until after the rings and vows have been exchanged. :mac:

Last edited:
MissVelvetDress_75 said:
if and when i find my future husband, he and i are flying to Vegas and getting married without a single member of our families there.

:lol: :up:

I am having no problem with being in a long engagement...planning a wedding freaks me out. :reject: I already have stacks of wedding magazines and some books, just to read up on things...and it's overwhelming.

Eloping is sounding better and better.

i think i'll do the vegas thing too if it so happens i find the man of my dreams.

hey...i just remembered...my mom's getting hitched in vegas, she tells me. bg i should drop by for a visit:sexywink:

:hmm:
The only question that remains in this thread, is..
are any of the respondents going to be able to wear white on the day of their wedding in Las Vegas?:angry:

thank u
diamond
:sexywink:

The easiest way to avoid the fighting and childish behavior is for the bride and groom to plan and pay for the entire wedding themselves.

We didn't ask anyone's opinon on a single thing. A month before the wedding, I took my mom and Grandma to the dress shop and said "this is what color I want you to wear" and I gave the tux shop all the men's names and said "this is what color I want them to wear." I took the flower girl shopping for her dress ALONE and picked out the bridesmaid's dresses ALONE and told them where to go and buy them. If they were out of town, they sent me their measurements and I had the dresses made. I got their shoe sizes and bought them all myself.

No arguments, no fighting, no butting in.

The only thing my family and Rick's family knew about the wedding ahead of time was the date and location. I didn't tell them who I was inviting or not inviting. All they had to do was show up and be happy for us.

And I proudly wore white as my 2 kids walked me down the aisle :angry:

Last edited:
Bono's American Wife said:
The easiest way to avoid the fighting and childish behavior is for the bride and groom to plan and pay for the entire wedding themselves.

We didn't ask anyone's opinon on a single thing. A month before the wedding, I took my mom and Grandma to the dress shop and said "this is what color I want you to wear" and I gave the tux shop all the men's names and said "this is what color I want them to wear." I took the flower girl shopping for her dress ALONE and picked out the bridesmaid's dresses ALONE and told them where to go and buy them. If they were out of town, they sent me their measurements and I had the dresses made. I got their shoe sizes and bought them all myself.

The only thing my family and Rick's family knew about the wedding ahead of time was the date and location. I didn't tell them who I was inviting or not inviting. All they had to do was show up and be happy for us.

:applaud::up:

i love threads with las vegas in them

icelle said:
bg i should drop by for a visit :sexywink:

i'm counting the days. :yes:

actually, a las vegas wedding can be quite posh nowadays. those new hotels are so elegant. for those in a hurry, though, there is still the drive-through wedding chapel...

:applaud: BAW :D

We did a similar thing. Except there was no secrets, so it wasn't really similar at all :D
Hub and I found a great reception venue which provided an excellent deal. They gave in the package, the cake, an MC, a DJ, unlimited use of the grounds (meaning we were able to have the ceremony there as well after the church refused to marry us :mad: but we took a minister there, so stick that up your kyber, Roman Catholic ...... :angry: ) they also gave us a Mercedes limo to take us where ever we wanted once we were done, which was absolutely brilliant. Saved a lot of stress. As a surprise, they gave us a holiday in Bali during part of the ceremony. All drinks were included, so we knew EXACTLY how much this was gonna cost before the day.
Our photgrapher was exactly the same. We went to a couple and were extremely worried until we met Greg. Greg was the ultimate in cool. As soon as we sat down he asked us simply what we wanted and laughed when we asked if he was going to keep the negatives (as all of them had stipulated before then) His response was "No offence guys, but why would I want your negatives? I'll ask you if I think I might want them for advertising"
My dress was the very first one I tried on. By chance. So the others I tried on didn't matter. But that was all luck.

As for family...ha. Mum tried getting cranky cos there was nothing left for her to do as the MOB. But she had nothing to complain about. She wasn't with me when I picked the dress, but the best argument is "You should try being happy for me instead of complaining" Works a treat. Nothing like inflicting guilt on troublesome mothers. :up:

If you all want a vegas wedding, thats fantastic, but if you're doing it out of fear of the preparation, give it some more thought. If you are organised and more importantly decisive enough, the family can't do a fat lot of good having their whinges. They will whinge no matter how you do it, but if you stay in control of it, hide from them. Ignore them. Thats what I did, and it worked well overall.

Bono's American Wife said:

:applaud:

I should add that I did let my grandmother give me a list of people she wanted me to invite...I just didn't tell her who I ended up leaving off the list. :uhoh:

Angela Harlem said:
(meaning we were able to have the ceremony there as well after the church refused to marry us :mad: but we took a minister there, so stick that up your kyber, Roman Catholic ...... :angry: )
you should have kicked him in the nuts :mad:

Angela Harlem said:
:applaud: BAW :D

We did a similar thing. Except there was no secrets, so it wasn't really similar at all :D
Hub and I found a great reception venue which provided an excellent deal. They gave in the package, the cake, an MC, a DJ, unlimited use of the grounds (meaning we were able to have the ceremony there as well after the church refused to marry us :mad: but we took a minister there, so stick that up your kyber, Roman Catholic ...... :angry: ) they also gave us a Mercedes limo to take us where ever we wanted once we were done, which was absolutely brilliant. Saved a lot of stress. As a surprise, they gave us a holiday in Bali during part of the ceremony. All drinks were included, so we knew EXACTLY how much this was gonna cost before the day.
Our photgrapher was exactly the same. We went to a couple and were extremely worried until we met Greg. Greg was the ultimate in cool. As soon as we sat down he asked us simply what we wanted and laughed when we asked if he was going to keep the negatives (as all of them had stipulated before then) His response was "No offence guys, but why would I want your negatives? I'll ask you if I think I might want them for advertising"
My dress was the very first one I tried on. By chance. So the others I tried on didn't matter. But that was all luck.

As for family...ha. Mum tried getting cranky cos there was nothing left for her to do as the MOB. But she had nothing to complain about. She wasn't with me when I picked the dress, but the best argument is "You should try being happy for me instead of complaining" Works a treat. Nothing like inflicting guilt on troublesome mothers. :up:

If you all want a vegas wedding, thats fantastic, but if you're doing it out of fear of the preparation, give it some more thought. If you are organised and more importantly decisive enough, the family can't do a fat lot of good having their whinges. They will whinge no matter how you do it, but if you stay in control of it, hide from them. Ignore them. Thats what I did, and it worked well overall.

:ohmy: I'm getting married in Oz!! Did your photographer take that GORGEOUS picture that you posted in LS a while back? If not, let me know who did because they're taking my wedding pictures. Whether they like it or not. :angry:

My husband and I eloped, and I highly recommend it. We ran off to a b and b/lodge in the mountains, and because it was a weekday, we had to place all to ourselves. We played pool the night before, and in the morning, we had a chef make a wonderful breakfast for us. Then we drove down the mountain, he in his leather jacket and me in my red velvet dress, we got married at the courthouse, ate gyros and pizza for lunch, and took a nap. It was great! No one there but us.

I have seen so many people get caught up in the planning of their weddings and the wasting of thousands of dollars (someone I know getting married soon is spending around $40,000). For us, it was about two people, no distractions, no stress. Just a private celebration. Even a religious wedding can be small and private.

Just my personal experience and two cents. :)

Really Meggie? :hyper:
He's a brilliant photgrapher!

[start rave]
He'll do WHATEVER you want him too, he doesn't charge exhorbitant prices either. He took so many fantastic pics and then when we went to pick them up he asked us to pick out our favourites to make sepia and black and white 8x10's for an extra photo album which he can include in the price. He must have taken a couple of hundred pics on the day and set up the album beautifully. If you are genuinely planning on a wedding in Oz, make sure your photographer signs a contract saying you will keep the negatives. We were surprised at the the number who said they wont. Infact Greg was the only one we spoke to who didn't want to keep them. Its even more important for you guys as you wont be living here. I can seriously give you the number and his address if we are both still around these parts when it comes time for your day. After our wedding, he did a friend of my husband's, and they were thrilled too. The best reference a photgrapher can give, is a guarantee from someone you know who used their services. We were paranoid we'd end up on A Current Affair with one of those "My photographer ran off with our money and wedding photos" stories.

I'll scan more pics if you ever want to see them! :D

[/end rave]

:heart: Greg :heart:

I just remembered a funny thing that we heard happen recently. My husband used to work at this company and there was one woman there who was kinda friendly, but a bit up herself. She finally hooked one of the directors of the company and they are now planning the wedding. Correction, SHE is planning the wedding. Anyways, she has decided the Sydney Opera House should be the venue for the reception. Fine! Great! Except she is inviting 500 guests and they charge $200 a head per guest. So thats $100,000 just for the reception. Her dress is costing $14,000. Her cake is going to be about $3000 as it needs to be about 28 stories high and is as extravagant as her other weird and over the top plans. We're finding out slowly about the rest of the plans from a girl that still works there and keeps in contact with my husband still. The rate they're going, they could have gotten a small country out of international debt witn this kind of cash.

This wedding is killing me :lmao:

:applaud: BAW and HeartlandGirl! Great examples of how to do it your way.

I doubt I'd do Vegas (never say never, though) but something along the lines of what HG did sounds about right. But getting me to tie the knot at all is the challenge.:huh:

A friend of mine is in the midst of wedding-planning hell. We had lunch yesterday and she kept saying things like, "I don't want so & so at the wedding, but I have to invite him." That's the kind of thing I don't understand. Maybe I'm just a bitch, but I have no trouble saying things like, "Yes, I want you to come to my wedding but you can't bring your husband because, frankly, he's a raging alcoholic and I don't want that at my wedding and furthermore, he's not welcome in my home either. Sorry." Setting boundaries is my specialty.

joyfulgirl said:
Maybe I'm just a bitch, but I have no trouble saying things like, "Yes, I want you to come to my wedding but you can't bring your husband because, frankly, he's a raging alcoholic and I don't want that at my wedding and furthermore, he's not welcome in my home either. Sorry." Setting boundaries is my specialty.

:lmao:!!!!! how about telling a guest "your girlfriend dresses like a two bit whore. i don't want mini skirts and fishnet stockings at my wedding!"

haha! my ex boyfriend's mother had a guest show up with his girlfriend dressed just like that. needless to say she was the talk of the evening.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

:lmao:!!!!! how about telling a guest "your girlfriend dresses like a two bit whore. i don't want mini skirts and fishnet stockings at my wedding!"

haha! my ex boyfriend's mother had a guest show up with his girlfriend dressed just like that. needless to say she was the talk of the evening.

:lmao: Ah, but you see that would amuse me at my wedding. Bring on the minis and fishnets! Tatts, body piercings, purple hair, also welcomed at my wedding. But not sloppy drunks.

;) but the drunks could be fun too. you know let them grab the mic and make a complete ass of themselves. there is always one. :laugh: at least weddings bring out the juicy gossip. you can always spot the gossipers at weddings. they are all at table or huddled in a corner whispering and making faces at others, while the drunks and two bit whores are on the dance floors having fun!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom