Summary - Barcelona I - What did you like? What did you not like?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kooky Kath

Babyface
Sorry guys and gals if this has already been done - but I just thought it would be cool to kinda summarize what y'all liked and didn't like about the opening show... what you think the band needs to change or ditch and what you think they should keep! :D

So I'll give you all my 2c...

Keep or Change

First song. I don't think Breathe will stay as the opener for too long - simply because NLOTH is too weak a song to follow it... people are still hyped with the band walking on the stage and can quickly forgive and forget a weak song. I think NLOTH should open and Breathe should follow it.

GOYB - visuals weren't powerful enough from the clips I saw on the tube... Just as Vertigo was complemented by the fab light show during the last tour, I think this is a song that most people are, obviously, a bit indifferent too... a stunning visual effort would surely help what is a hard sell.

Magnificent - maybe Axver can answer this - but when is the last time U2 opened a show with FOUR straight songs from their latest album? I understand with sluggish sales they want to promote the new songs - but it will end up getting the "i'm here to hear the hits" people disinterested right away. I think Magnificent and Beautiful Day should swap places.

Unknown Caller - stick with it guys! Sure - Edge flubbed up his solo - but the whole band had a nervous night.. this song has awesome potential live... again something a bit more striking with the visuals could've helped this take off.

Unforgettable Fire - well of course they're keeping that - great to hear it again!

COBL/Vertigo - not uncommon for U2 to bring a 'combo package' from the previous tour - and I think this works well again - the visuals for COBL were awesome - but Willie.. what happened to the screen for Vertigo? Nothing happening and it just lacked that extra power that the visuals delivered last time around.

Crazy Tonight Remix - :drool::drool::drool::drool: YESSSSSSS!!! More of this please lads!

MLK into Walk On - works for me!

Streets - Okay. I'll come back to this in what I want ditched, but the intro to streets would work soooooooooooooooooooooo much better if the 'never walk alone' snippet at the end of Walk On were to segue into streets. Give it a listen, spine tingling!

Ultraviolet - :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: first show jitters aside, this can evolve into a tour highlight.

Moment of Surrender - rehearsals, rehearsals, rehearsals! :doh:

DITCH!

Still Haven't found - sorry guys... yaaaaaaaaaawn
Angel of Harlem - didn't work in a stadium setting for me
In a little while - likewise
Sunday Bloody Sunday - overplayed
Pride - likewise
One - likewise
With or Without You - likewise!

Thanks for letting me have my little say guys and gals - I'd love to hear yours! :applaud:

Kath.

Sorry guys and gals if this has already been done - but I just thought it would be cool to kinda summarize what y'all liked and didn't like about the opening show... what you think the band needs to change or ditch and what you think they should keep! :D

So I'll give you all my 2c...

Keep or Change

First song. I don't think Breathe will stay as the opener for too long - simply because NLOTH is too weak a song to follow it... people are still hyped with the band walking on the stage and can quickly forgive and forget a weak song. I think NLOTH should open and Breathe should follow it.

GOYB - visuals weren't powerful enough from the clips I saw on the tube... Just as Vertigo was complemented by the fab light show during the last tour, I think this is a song that most people are, obviously, a bit indifferent too... a stunning visual effort would surely help what is a hard sell.

Magnificent - maybe Axver can answer this - but when is the last time U2 opened a show with FOUR straight songs from their latest album? I understand with sluggish sales they want to promote the new songs - but it will end up getting the "i'm here to hear the hits" people disinterested right away. I think Magnificent and Beautiful Day should swap places.

Unknown Caller - stick with it guys! Sure - Edge flubbed up his solo - but the whole band had a nervous night.. this song has awesome potential live... again something a bit more striking with the visuals could've helped this take off.

Unforgettable Fire - well of course they're keeping that - great to hear it again!

COBL/Vertigo - not uncommon for U2 to bring a 'combo package' from the previous tour - and I think this works well again - the visuals for COBL were awesome - but Willie.. what happened to the screen for Vertigo? Nothing happening and it just lacked that extra power that the visuals delivered last time around.

Crazy Tonight Remix - :drool::drool::drool::drool: YESSSSSSS!!! More of this please lads!

MLK into Walk On - works for me!

Streets - Okay. I'll come back to this in what I want ditched, but the intro to streets would work soooooooooooooooooooooo much better if the 'never walk alone' snippet at the end of Walk On were to segue into streets. Give it a listen, spine tingling!

Ultraviolet - :drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: first show jitters aside, this can evolve into a tour highlight.

Moment of Surrender - rehearsals, rehearsals, rehearsals! :doh:

DITCH!

Still Haven't found - sorry guys... yaaaaaaaaaawn
Angel of Harlem - didn't work in a stadium setting for me
In a little while - likewise
Sunday Bloody Sunday - overplayed
Pride - likewise
One - likewise
With or Without You - likewise!

Thanks for letting me have my little say guys and gals - I'd love to hear yours!

Kath.

Great analysis! Spot on! Couldn't agree with you more...:up:

this is what i posted in another thread:

here's my track by track review of the bootleg:

Breathe - the song works well live, but i'm unsure about this as the opener. i still think Magnificent would work better, and GOYB to a lesser degree.

No Line On The Horizon - i was a little underwhelmed by the live version, but i think some of this is due to the quality of the original recording, where the guitars aren't very prominant. sounds like the crowd was pretty into it, so i'll assume it worked well.

Get On Your Boots - LOVE the intro. WOW! as usual, this song kicks major ass.

Magnificent - as i said earlier, this song should open the show. even though it flopped as a single, it's still more familiar than Breathe to the casual fans.

Beautiful Day - works perfect here and that new intro is . hope they add the Blackbird snippet.

Still Haven't Found... - played well, one of those songs that don't really excite you when reading setlists, but it always feels good in person.

Angel Of Harlem - one of those songs that made me cringe when i saw they were rehearsing it, but it worked really well last night, and those MJ snippets were done very well.

In A Little While - sounded great. good song. just not sure it fits this spot or the show though. it pains me to say that too.

Space Chat - it's a cool concept, i just hope that going forward, they shorten this up a little. a couple reports say that it killed the momentum.

Unknown Caller - talk about getting the momentum back! this is one of the new songs i really wanted to hear live, and it didn't disappoint. The Edge will be fine, and the outro works so well!

Unforgettable Fire - :drool: :drool: :drool:

City Of Blinding Lights - completes the best trio of the show, though i wish the band would find a way to segue UF into COBL. it would only add more emotion.

Vertigo - sounds as energetic as ever. great performance. like Edge's guitar tone at the beginning.

Crazy Tonight - for me, one of the early highlights. it's just so dark and different from the album version. i sure hope they don't drop this by the time Chicago comes around.

Sunday Bloody Sunday - yeap. it was played well. one of those songs that i'll enjoy when i'm in person.

Pride - see "Sunday Bloody Sunday"

MLK - great singing Bono!

Walk On - other than the whole mask thing, the song sounds great. the outro is very cool.

Where The Streets Have No Name - love the fact that the red lights are back. i do wonder if the Desmond Tutu speech is just a Europe thing, and US will get something different?

One - oops! LOL! i'm sure this song will be fine. Bono, just keep the speeches under 20 minutes, ok?

Ultraviolet - see "Unforgettable Fire"

With Or Without You - i really do hope the band learns to play this song with emotion again some day.

Moment Of Surrender - i know some people said it was a little flat as a closer. personally, i thought it sounded fine, and i do believe it will only get better with age.

Overall, i give the set a B-. i believe the band will only get tighter, and they'll start figuring out the right transitions and flow. this definitely has the making of a great set!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom