Still Pretty Much the same set (will that affect your concert choices?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clerks

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Not that I'm disappointed as we U2 fans seem to forget that most people only go to 1 concert during a tour, but it seems like the set list is pretty much the same in Europe as here.

They've switched it up a bit, but mostly the same. Still no POP (unless you count snippets) or ZOOROPA.

Anyway, I still have tickets to 12 shows or so. Probably will end up selling 4 or 5 of them though is my guess as other expenses have come up.

My thoughts are, if they did the same set everytime it's still a great show, but maybe I don't need to see them as many times as I thought I wanted to before this tour started if they aren't going to switch it up as much.

This isn't a complaint thread.

Just curious if anyone else might REVISE their tour plays due to U2's small catalog of songs actually played during the Vertigo Tour?

No, I only have tickets to two shows, and if I could get more I would. Even if they played the exact same setlist every night (which they're not, they ARE mixing it up somewhat, or at least they were here, in Europe not as much).

A follow up, do you think the 3rd leg will be the most open set lists since they already did a leg here?

Should we expect more of the same or something special?

I assume mostly the same except in Boston and NY since they have so many shows.

I believe they're just starting in Europe, getting used to the bigger stage and the b-stages.

At some point they'll start changing the setlists like they did in the US.

Can't wait to hear what songs they play at the Dublin gigs.

*says another desperate prayer for 'Until The End Of The World'* :wink:

how anyone can afford tickets to 12 shows is beyond me.

and no, I wouldn't go see them 12 times with the same setlist.
I probably wouldn't go 3.

I think we should get used to the notion of a fairly stable setlist with only occasional changes.

The only reason we can get upset at that is if we go to several shows----which it seems the band doesn't want to see (they've got several quotes about how they disliked seeing the same people in the front at every concert; most recently quoted about the "row" with fans at Elevation video shoot in Boston).

To be honest, I can't say I blame them. It's easy to have fun playing the same set if you get to see new reactions on new fans' faces each night.

I wanted to see them play Whos gonna ride your wild horses as I have NEVER seen them play that live before but they never played it at Manchester 15th. I have seen all the other songs played live except for the new album stuff that is. Is Who's gonna ride your wild horses played as full band version or is it just an acoustic version when they have done it the past couple of shows? Anybody know?

I saw them 3 times on the first leg, have tickets for 1 show on the third leg, and am planning on trying to see 1 or 2 more shows.

It has nothing to do with the setlist. It's because I love going to U2 concerts.

I went to four shows in the spring. The times u2 did change it up much, I wasn't attending. I saw basically the same 4 setlists for my shows.

It was an experience I'll never forget, never did anything like that before. But I wouldn't do it again for the same setlist, now if they changed it up.....

I got two shows in the fall, I thought in the beginning I would have to get more but I'm sticking with 2 (NY and DC)

I still think that in cities where they are going to play multiple shows you're gonna hear some different things come night 4 (or 5!) If you're looking to maybe hear something different I'd look into shows in Chicago or NYC or Boston.

That said, I still plan to go to multiple shows on the third leg even if they play the same set. And I plan on loving every minute of them.

I can't afford 12 shows. I bought them, but shouldn't have. I just have a huge credit card bill. But at least I was smart enough to get a no interest card until like feb 2006.

I know I'm not the only nut to spend $4000 bucks on tickets. I'd go to every show if I could.

You only live once. And I know that the hard way.

clerks said:
A follow up, do you think the 3rd leg will be the most open set lists since they already did a leg here?

Should we expect more of the same or something special?

I assume mostly the same except in Boston and NY since they have so many shows.

I look forward to a more open leg.....and a 3rd leg t'boot....

Just curious if anyone else might REVISE their tour plays due to U2's small catalog of songs actually played during the Vertigo Tour? [/B]

Um... ZooTV, Pop and Elevation had less variation than this, so I'm not sure why you're surprised.

If you want to see multiple shows in Europe with variable setlists, I think you should go to either Dublin or Amsterdam. These are the cities with three shows. Besides, Amsterdam has a roof. City of blinding lights, which is now song number 9 in the show (because of the daylight affecting the effect of the videowall) could be played earlier, creating space in the encore for different songs.

What you see now is that U2 plays a straightforward 8 songs of hits in the first part of the show... I can't blame them for doing so; they're dealing with a stadium full of people. A small percentage will be diehard fans. The greater part of the people will be folks who like U2, but are not diehard fans...

you know u2 has so many hits that they could relearn more of them and rotate those in and out, so there would still be variation, but also lots of "hits" for the non diehards

Chizip said:
you know u2 has so many hits that they could relearn more of them and rotate those in and out, so there would still be variation, but also lots of "hits" for the non diehards

You've got a point there..
U2 seems to choose the uptempo rock songs for the first half hour of the Euro shows.. I was impressed by the first 6 songs in Brussels (vertigo, until the end...., Electric Co., Elevation, New Year's day, Beautiful Day).. It would be cool to see U2 putting in other songs, but I don't want them to play, let's say "stuck in a moment.." as a second song.... I like the concept of opening with 6 straightforward songs.. It gives the crowd a boost.. As I said I was impressed, eventhough it was the 16th time I saw the band..

now that i think of it, i might try for a couple more shows. If I do, I'm going to go for the last night in Chicago or NY or Boston, something like that. Seems like the last night is when they mix it up.

It's still u2.

RademR said:
now that i think of it, i might try for a couple more shows. If I do, I'm going to go for the last night in Chicago or NY or Boston, something like that. Seems like the last night is when they mix it up.

It's still u2.

Looking at the statistics, the last night is the show to go to when you want to see, hear and experience a different setlist..
:yes: :yes: :yes:

Radem---see you in DC! Woo-hoo! I'll be in the GA line for the 19th, then up in the 200 section for the 20th.

wtonis said:
If you want to see multiple shows in Europe with variable setlists, I think you should go to either Dublin or Amsterdam. These are the cities with three shows. Besides, Amsterdam has a roof. City of blinding lights, which is now song number 9 in the show (because of the daylight affecting the effect of the videowall) could be played earlier, creating space in the encore for different songs.

What you see now is that U2 plays a straightforward 8 songs of hits in the first part of the show... I can't blame them for doing so; they're dealing with a stadium full of people. A small percentage will be diehard fans. The greater part of the people will be folks who like U2, but are not diehard fans...

I'm still amazed by the idea that anyone managing to get a ticket here would be a casual fan. Its not like there were plenty left or still available. They were gone within an hour and it took real commitment to get some.

Unless casual fans are the ones buying overpriced tickets from touts and Ebay.

Probably will affect the NUMBER of shows that I go to. I've already got six shows lined up. Already gone to two on the first leg, and will be going to another four where they're more likely to change up the setlist (last two MSG in Oct. and last two Philly shows). If the setlists don't change a whole lot that'll probably be it for me. That's already a lotta shows anyway.

U2 seems to choose the uptempo rock songs for the first half hour of the Euro shows
Yip and thats a prob .
For me the show really comes alive in the lastter half with the angst ridden,powerful songs.
Too many of the earlier songs are fluff.
I will see the tour twice.
Once in Manchester, and once in Dublin.
That will do me fine.
I think the tour is like a circus.
Its the same in every town it goes to.

rjhbonovox said:
I wanted to see them play Whos gonna ride your wild horses as I have NEVER seen them play that live before but they never played it at Manchester 15th. I have seen all the other songs played live except for the new album stuff that is. Is Who's gonna ride your wild horses played as full band version or is it just an acoustic version when they have done it the past couple of shows? Anybody know?

full band in glasgow

It's weird hearing people moan about them playing similar setlists. I don't think the band are there to cater exclusively for people who see follow them to more than one show. Most people like myself have just gone to one show. I would be gutted if they missed out WOWY etc and replaced with less well known tracks just to please "diehard" fans. Glasgow had a good mix of classics, new ones and ones they don't play all the time (like who's gonna ride your wild horses). I think you have to accept that 80 per cent of each night is going to be made up with the same songs and I personally am glad of it.

I have been to the same show a few times for different act's and even if its the same set list the show can be different in other ways i.e the vibe! I think a few fans have said the Glasgow show was better than Twickenham2 and they were pretty much the same setlist.

I think as U2 fans, we get spoilt as we know the set list may change. I think it just add's to the excitment, not knowing what they will play.

Its better than acts like Madonna who has the setlist printed in her tour programme, so you know it's gonna be the same everynight.

I hope that the next few U2 shows I see they don't open with Vertigo again, but if they do, not a problem I will still be happy to see them again

Lemonfix said:
RadamR have I mentioned how much I LOOOOVE your avatar?

Where is that pic from?

I'm not sure. It's a pic of Adam during the POP era I believe. Liked it myself so I thought it would be a cool avatar.

Utoo said:
Radem---see you in DC! Woo-hoo! I'll be in the GA line for the 19th, then up in the 200 section for the 20th.

definetly...i get nosebleeds for the 19th. I think for the 20th I am going to go early in the morning and try and get GAs when they release them. They were doing that for most of the shows I heard.

Back
Top Bottom