Star Wars Episode VIII: A New Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I mean, if Darth Maul can still be alive...

My honest guess is that Palpatine, Yoda, Luke, Anakin, etc. all appear as Force Ghosts at the end as Rey faces off against Kylo once and for all. Or maybe Palpatine just appears privately to Kylo earlier. I think having him not actually dead after what happened in ROTJ would be all kinds of idiotic and send fans into an uproar. It would reduce Vader’s sacrifice and taint the whole saga.

It would reduce Vader’s sacrifice and taint the whole saga.

the filmmakers clearly don't care about this because it was already done with the whole "hyperspacing through a ship to destroy it" thing.

i really wish i was more excited about this. i'll most likely still go to see the movie because it's star wars, but the last two movies do not have me hopeful for this one at all... :|

I mean, if Darth Maul can still be alive...

My honest guess is that Palpatine, Yoda, Luke, Anakin, etc. all appear as Force Ghosts at the end as Rey faces off against Kylo once and for all. Or maybe Palpatine just appears privately to Kylo earlier. I think having him not actually dead after what happened in ROTJ would be all kinds of idiotic and send fans into an uproar. It would reduce Vader’s sacrifice and taint the whole saga.

Or... or Kylo is Rey’s father.

How about that for a plot twist eh?

the filmmakers clearly don't care about this because it was already done with the whole "hyperspacing through a ship to destroy it" thing.

i really wish i was more excited about this. i'll most likely still go to see the movie because it's star wars, but the last two movies do not have me hopeful for this one at all... :|

I try not to get hung up on that kind of stuff as much; I'm more concerned with the integrity of the characters and their arcs.

it's pretty hard not for me to get hung up on that stuff - once i gave it two seconds thought it literally ruined the entire saga that had come before it, for me. it made every single death in the entire series quite literally pointless and in vain, and instantly turned every person in a command position on both sides of the war(s) into reckless murderers of their own people on a scale that is several orders of magnitude worse than the worst generals of world war one.

if you're the kind of person who can suspend disbelief to that extent then i am honestly jealous of you. i will still watch it, of course, because it's a new star wars movie. i just hope there's some sort of explanation that reconciles the ending of the last jedi with the laws of the galaxy that worked pretty well before episode 8.

sending your entire starfighter crew out on what amounts to a suicide mission that requires a precision strike with near-zero odds (and getting all but two of them killed), when you apparently had the option all along to line up a dozen old unmanned y-wings, point them at the death star and hit the hyperspace button, and achieve the exact same outcome with zero casualties is absolutely unconscionable and would make sir douglas haig blush.

and then they did the same thing again! "the shields are down! let's hyperspace-fire some old b-wings at the reactor core because obviously they can easily pierce through that half-constructed shell, admiral ackbar!" "no, better to pin our hopes on this mercenary pilot's ability to thread 5000 needles while being shot at the entire time on what is almost certainly a suicide mission. sending manpower needlessly to their deaths when we have other, safer options, is how we, the vastly outnumbered rebellion, are gonna win this war" wow what a great admiral. at least he's good at spotting traps i suppose.

Last edited:
I mean if you’re struggling with suspension of disbelief maybe start at rebuilding the Death Star that fast because they blew up the last one

i could have started with the point that nobody in their right minds would ever build a ruinously expensive blue-water-style navy with dozens of ship classes requiring millions of crew and then send the entire thing out more or less permanently on strike patrol missions in this universe in the first place, i suppose. there would be zero point to building anything other than gunboats full of kinetic missiles with hyperdrive engines in them. why the fuck would you need lasers and manned starfighters and huge defensive platforms if every ship in the galaxy can be destroyed by a simple hunk of metal with an engine strapped to it?

Are we done with the military fanatic take on Star Wars?

Maybe we can get a astrophysicist in here to tell us that the entire saga is invalid. I mean, how do they have gravity on any of those larger ships?

Oh we're talking over here.

Anyways, as I said, this is the most excited I've felt over the new saga period. I got this excited about Rogue One, maybe, but that's it. I'm thrilled and really ready to close this up.

Are we done with the military fanatic take on Star Wars?

Maybe we can get a astrophysicist in here to tell us that the entire saga is invalid. I mean, how do they have gravity on any of those larger ships?
Seriously. My goodness, those are some of the worst posts I've ever read.

giphy.gif

screen-shot-2019-04-12-at-18-24-17-1555089991.jpg

i saw the death star get fucking pulverized. no way a chunk that big lands on endor or whatever fucking planet their on.

not even seeing this sham of a movie. fucking abrams

giphy.gif

screen-shot-2019-04-12-at-18-24-17-1555089991.jpg

i saw the death star get fucking pulverized. no way a chunk that big lands on endor or whatever fucking planet their on.

not even seeing this sham of a movie. fucking abrams

I am assuming the Death Star we are looking at is from ANH that you included the helpful gif of it being "fucking pulverized" which I have to say is just an assumption on your part. Sure it was a great big explosion but the fucking thing was the size of a small moon, to think that there were no large sections that survived the explosion and crashed into nearby planets is almost as silly as being angry enough not to watch the movie because of it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom