Stage Set-up For The Next Tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
catlhere said:
I found this in Bono's notebook, take it for what you will.

iaat.jpg

Date is probably subject to change. :shrug:

and comments posted sooooo VERY CLEVER and :laugh: :heart:

U2's fans are the BEST:hi5: :rockon:

i really like how, after a tour, if someone doesn't like something, they tell us that things will be different because of course U2 realizes, now, after the fact, that the poster's opinion was of course correct and they'll make duly deserved amends.

Irvine511 said:
i really like how, after a tour, if someone doesn't like something, they tell us that things will be different because of course U2 realizes, now, after the fact, that the poster's opinion was of course correct and they'll make duly deserved amends.

Yes, some people here are clearly deluded. :lol:

Infinitum98 said:
Did you guys really like the Vertigo tour better than the Elevation tour? I think the Elevation tour was a lot more intimate, IMHO. I think the Elevation version of "Streets" was spectaculor. In contrast, I didn't enjoy the Vertigo version because of the Africa theme and the lack of the red background which fits perfect with streets. I mean, its great that Bono is doing all this work for Africa, he is a good person, but I think that the Vertigo tour had too many of the peace issues such as the Africa speech in between Pride and Streets, along with the flags, the One Campaign Speech, the Human Rights Declaration, Coexist.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am all for peace and to bring an end to suffering, but because of that I didn't feel as much of an intimacy in the Vertigo tour as during the Elevation tour, especially during "Streets."

I think intimacy is an excuse for "poorer performances and terrible vocals."

The Elevation Tour by far is U2's worst tour.

Infinitum98 said:
Did you guys really like the Vertigo tour better than the Elevation tour? I think the Elevation tour was a lot more intimate, IMHO. I think the Elevation version of "Streets" was spectaculor. In contrast, I didn't enjoy the Vertigo version because of the Africa theme and the lack of the red background which fits perfect with streets. I mean, its great that Bono is doing all this work for Africa, he is a good person, but I think that the Vertigo tour had too many of the peace issues such as the Africa speech in between Pride and Streets, along with the flags, the One Campaign Speech, the Human Rights Declaration, Coexist.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am all for peace and to bring an end to suffering, but because of that I didn't feel as much of an intimacy in the Vertigo tour as during the Elevation tour, especially during "Streets."

I think for the most part, people are talking about stage design rather than the quality of the music or the performance...

In this case I agree with them, while Vertigo was very much a derivative of Elevation, I think it was much better executed.

Infinitum98 said:

Vertigo tour wasnt about intimacy it was about getting back to rock, and the Vertigo tour came up with the goods.

Outdoor shows rocked.

Am with Vaz on the outdoor shows part. Cant beat the vibe of an outdoor gig. Sod intamacy.....................push your way to the fekin front

Based on the the work they are doing in Morocco, I imagine the next stage to be a lot more organic and less techy like the Vertigo/PopMart/ZooTV stages have been. I dont know exactly what that would mean, but it would be a neat change.

Intimacy is great.... with another 70.000 people...

unless you've felt that, you haven't felt a thing

STADIUM TOUR FTW :up:

Fuck The What

Infinitum98 said:
Did you guys really like the Vertigo tour better than the Elevation tour? I think the Elevation tour was a lot more intimate, IMHO. I think the Elevation version of "Streets" was spectaculor. In contrast, I didn't enjoy the Vertigo version because of the Africa theme and the lack of the red background which fits perfect with streets.

While i would have liked the red screen etc for Streets, try seeing it with 40,000 people who haven't seen U2 in 13 years - if at all - and you'll find nobody gives a shit about the red screen.

Also one song does not a tour make.

Also Elevation sucked.

Bigger, let it be bigger, even bigger screen and more flash, a bit more Popmart into the mix.

Vertigo outdoors was already a step into the right direction.

personally, i really enjoyed the non-stadium vertigo tour. i caught shows in montreal & boston and thought the staging was fantastic - a great blend of the intimacy that we love and the 'huge experience' that we crave. :)

phillyfan26 said:

I think intimacy is an excuse for "poorer performances and terrible vocals."

The Elevation Tour by far is U2's worst tour.

Wrong.

I think he has a valid argument. Elevation was had tons more emotion then Vertigo. The whole African theme during Streets was a letdown..not to mention Bono's long winded speeches. I liked Vertigo...but felt more at Elevation.

Add me to an in-the-round bandwagon, which I thought would have been appropriate for Vertigo. I initially pictured a revolving center stage - you know, so the band might actually get Vertigo. How intimate would it be if Bono got dizzy and fainted or puked on the front row? :drool:

U2 used to be one of the leaders in stage design and production. Sadly, many bands have passed them in this regard, let's hope they get their creativity back for the next tour.

You really think so?!?!? Like Who?

I thought the Vertigo tour in the arenas was intimate. I'm not a fan of the stadiums.

Chill Mike D said:
I've only been to Popmart, and it was a fucking blast. If I pay $60+, I expect a show.

Couldn't agree less – it's not about "a show" as a big blast spectacle. It's about the music, it's about the songs, it's about the sounds – and around this as the centre piece of any U2 concert, you may think about the package with stage design, band looks etc.
That's why I go to U2 gigs in the first place: music. When U2 overshadowed their music with looks – aka POPmart– you get your "show", but U2 then tend to play staple set lists, standard show-lists (to fit with as many stage effects as possible.)
In the end, you'll have a tour with one of the greatest live bands on earth ending up in a Vegas style "We repeat the same stuff every night, so everyone will be able to see the same show" – that's what I call predictable, boring. So: No show, but a great rock concert!

The OOTS said:

Wrong.

I think he has a valid argument. Elevation was had tons more emotion then Vertigo. The whole African theme during Streets was a letdown..not to mention Bono's long winded speeches. I liked Vertigo...but felt more at Elevation.

I don't like to base tours on "intimacy" and "Bono's emotion." I prefer performances and vocals and the actual show.

Elevation was only good on the third leg. Vertigo was good throughout.

The OOTS said:

Wrong.

Exactly.

Intimacy is not about the vocals or performances.
Poor performances and bad vocals ? Yeah, sounds like Popmart, largely due to HeliumBono singing.
Elevation on third leg had the emotions going, but it got ripped apart for static setlists.

As with Vertigo, U2 set themselves up for trouble. If they go with a BIG stage again, comparisons with Zoo TV and Popmart (aka wannabe "Zoo TV put-to-shame" tour) will come. (remember outdoor Vertigo stage beig compared to Popmart ?) If they make a small stage again, there will be comparisons to stripped down Elevation. (remember the "Elevation part II" talk) It has to be said Vertigo worked in arenas as well as stadiums, which is a first for U2. (JT was more of a indoor show, and Zoo TV really worked better in stadiums)
I liked the screens being used, as well the eclipse/heart, but maybe it's time for something new.

Does anyone know if Willie Williams will be involved or did he quit permanently on Vertigo ?

phillyfan26 said:

I don't like to base tours on "intimacy" and "Bono's emotion." I prefer performances and vocals and the actual show.

Elevation was only good on the third leg. Vertigo was good throughout.

I see your point. But I think the best shows are the ones that have an overall great performance rather than just great vocals, or guitars, or song picks, etc.

Bono's voice during the Elevation tour may not have been as good as during Vertigo but I think the intimacy offered during Elevation versions of Where the Streets Have no Name, Kite, One, In a Little While, Bad and Walk On, all without any prolonged speeches by Bono, was unmatched by the Vertigo Tour. And at the same time Elevation also did have rockers such as one hell of a version of the Fly.

I guess if the question is which concert rocked more and had a better song selection, then the answer would be Vertigo because the band really kicked ass with the return of Electric Co., 40, Miss Sarajevo.

However, I do think that ZOOTV would eat Vertigo topped with Elevation for breakfast. :wink:

The OOTS said:

Wrong.

Ad second that opinion. Obviously i loved BOTH shows, but Elevation, for me, was a far more emotional experience due to the nature of the songs. Vertigo was more of an out and out rock show.

Last edited:
Dusty Bottoms said:
U2 used to be one of the leaders in stage design and production. Sadly, many bands have passed them in this regard, let's hope they get their creativity back for the next tour.

I think it's entirely possible that a band may have surpassed U2 in the stage design aspect, but from recent memory nothing seems to stand out as being especially interesting or ground breaking. Which bands were you thinking of?

The Sad Punk said:

I think it's entirely possible that a band may have surpassed U2 in the stage design aspect, but from recent memory nothing seems to stand out as being especially interesting or ground breaking. Which bands were you thinking of?

I agree, I wouldn't say that anyone else has done anything that mind blowing recently but U2 basically regressed with Elevation and then stayed pretty static with Vertigo.

IMO this puts most other bands on par with U2 in terms of stage design, which never used to be the case...

I dunno though, Muse's stage design looked pretty cool (although not altogether ground-breaking) and I haven’t seen what the Rolling Stones did for their latest...

I’d like to point out AGAIN that people are arguing in this thread over the quality of the performances of Elevation vs Vertigo when this thread is supposed to be a debate strictly on the design and aesthetic of the tours (at least I thought so)…

I'd personally like to see something more simple, more raw U2 if you will.

Yeah, uh, okay then, backin' off the debate... I think there should be escalators involved.

Also it isn't really a big thing but a pinata would be pretty good as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom