Spiderman Discussion - Part III

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what's the general consensus in this Rise Above song in here? I don't outright hate it but I'll never listen to it again and certainly wont download it. Very plain.

I dunno, for what it is it's quite entertaining, though the mashing of two styles together is kind of jarring, overall the actual song from the show, the ballad version with different lyrics is much stronger.

And you should riiiiiiiiiiise aboooooove (Scotty McCreery on the iTunes charts)...

EDIT: There's a pretty prominent ad for the song on the iTunes front page, so there's a decent chance it'll go higher than #30.

28! Blake Shelton, you're next.

What was the highest a NLOTH song made it on iTunes? That would be ironic...

I sat through the entire idol finale to catch the Bono and edge performance. I really loved the performance of rise above and thought Bono was in great form.

I was not expecting much from the song but I must admit I was blown away by the song. I love it! I have not heard the earlier version of this song but I like this one more than bffts. The song only makes me want a new u2 album even more. :sad: i think bono's voice sounds amazing in this song! I bought a copy on iTunes.

By the way rise above is number 1 on the U.S. iTunes rock chart and number 28 on the overall U.S. iTunes chart :applaud::applaud:

RA1 is currently back at #30 on the US iTunes chart. Seems pretty volatile at the moment, though, so that could change.

Great tweet from Reeve Carney last night before Idol aired: :cute:

reevecarney

Whoa! I just opened up my itunes and I'm on the dang front page! Haha in full Spider-Man garb at that! Haha

song is a grower for sure, still think they should not waste their time with that stuff, get that(those?) U2 album ready now, i wish they would focus more on the band...

both versions of Rise Above are terrible. It has the worst elements of U2s 2000s material, and Bono's voice is shot. It's dead! They guy has to quit smoking. This is the worst song they've ever written. Listen to any other U2 song (and Bono and Edge performing it makes it a U2 song; it's just as much "U2" as their acoustic duets) and you'll see that, to quote the great Sick Boy, it's just shite.

The slow version sung by Spiderman is a little better because it doesn't have that ultra lazy Edge riff. That guy...really? One of the best guitarists ever? Isolate the last 10 years, during which they've been more of a guitar rock band than in the 90s, and he doesn't rate at all. Having someone else sing the lyrics exposes how stupid they are.

Judging by the songs they've played since No Line came out, I think they're making the right decision by not releasing a new U2 record. The material is extraordinarily weak. I like Broadway and show tunes but this...well, I'm glad it doesn't have U2s name on it. Maybe Bone and Eddie gave Spidey leftovers.

That being said, I've got the fucking thing stuck in my head. Rihanna will get it out.

both versions of Rise Above are terrible. It has the worst elements of U2s 2000s material, and Bono's voice is shot.

Um... no. But thanks for playing. Parting gifts are in the back. :wave:

Judging by the songs they've played since No Line came out, I think they're making the right decision by not releasing a new U2 record. The material is extraordinarily weak. I like Broadway and show tunes but this...well, I'm glad it doesn't have U2s name on it. Maybe Bone and Eddie gave Spidey leftovers.

I challenge the notion that you've ever really listened to any Broadway music.

"Cats" has one big song in it - just one ("Memory"). And the "lead actress" sings it over and over. It's a good song, but hardly great. But it's perfect for Broadway.

Then go to "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" - the whole play is sung and as a result, there are tons of cheesy lyrics and melodies. But that's half the fun.

I can go on and on - for example, think about "doe a deer, a female deer" - is that a great lyric? No - but it fits with the play and is wonderfully catchy. But most of the songs in "Sound of Music" are rather cheesy ("you are 16 going on 17...").

In other words, when it comes to Broadway, one wants a song that soars and sticks in people's heads. It has to flow within the confines of the play, not be some artsy, super-alternative, avante-garde track. If that's what you want, then I'm surprised you even bother with U2.

That being said, I've got the fucking thing stuck in my head. Rihanna will get it out.

The fact that this song is stuck in your head already proves its power. It's doing exactly what any GOOD Broadway song does - it's a song you hum as you leave the theater.

And I'm sorry for your Rihanna habit. I'm sure a cure is forthcoming.

"Cats" has one big song in it - just one ("Memory"). And the "lead actress" sings it over and over. It's a good song, but hardly great. But it's perfect for Broadway.

Then go to "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" - the whole play is sung and as a result, there are tons of cheesy lyrics and melodies. But that's half the fun.

I can go on and on - for example, think about "doe a deer, a female deer" - is that a great lyric? No - but it fits with the play and is wonderfully catchy. But most of the songs in "Sound of Music" are rather cheesy ("you are 16 going on 17...").

In other words, when it comes to Broadway, one wants a song that soars and sticks in people's heads. It has to flow within the confines of the play, not be some artsy, super-alternative, avante-garde track. If that's what you want, then I'm surprised you even bother with U2.

The fact that this song is stuck in your head already proves its power. It's doing exactly what any GOOD Broadway song does - it's a song you hum as you leave the theater.

I have a feeling not many Broadway shows come to play under the bridges... :shrug:

not be some artsy, super-alternative, avante-garde track. If that's what you want, then I'm surprised you even bother with U2.

this is one of the things that always gets me about parts of this forum, and about the people who are big Pop fans in particular.

U2 really hasn't ever been truly artsy. they've done some artsy-ish things, and they've made some weird sounds, but it's always in the service of conventional, structured rock songs. :shrug:

i'd say they are consistently as creative as anybody out there, but that's quite different from being challenging.

(and a lot of that super-alternative stuff just isn't very much fun)

It's odd that you make assumptions about what I like and know. I am aware that show tunes, and songs in general should be catchy, but that's not a sign of a good song. If it was, then you wouldn't feel sorry for my Rihanna habit. You'd share it. Bono does, and chances are you follow him blindly. How's that for a baseless assumption?

As for avant garde whatever you said, I don't know why you'd think that's what I want. I wasn't expecting two hours of serialism and sprechgesang. However, it doesn't surprise me that you said that since it seems to be the standard flawed rebuttal to any criticism of U2 on this site. "Oh you're just a snob!" What, is this an Oasis site?? BTW, I love Oasis. They're in my top 10. And I'm pretty sure my favourites are the same as a lot of other people on this site.

U2 have made some super alternative avant garde tracks in their day, and had some arty tours, so there.

This is just a shitty song with a really lazy guitar line. Maybe it's good when surrounded by action, but on it's own it is very bad. And cheesy lyrics aren't by nature "bad." There are loads of great cheesy lyrics.

By the way, Doctor Who isn't the guy's name. He's just the Doctor. Matt Smith has been great. And Amy...yikes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom