Spider-Man 2.0 discussion...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No way is this better than The Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack. None of these songs hold a candle to:

The Ground Beneath Her Feet
Stateless
Falling at Your Feet
Never Let Me Go

Honestly, the only song from Spiderman that is memorable after listening to the recording is Boy Falls from the Sky and maybe Rise Above, and even then they aren't particularly amazing and sound like U2 on autopilot.

I'm sorry, but these songs from the Spider-Man musical are absolutely grating. Awful! I'm getting to the point where I don't care if U2 releases another album. Leave it alone and retire, guys. What happened to my favorite band? If you think these songs are great, you're kidding yourself.

I'm sorry, but these songs from the Spider-Man musical are absolutely grating. Awful! I'm getting to the point where I don't care if U2 releases another album. Leave it alone and retire, guys. What happened to my favorite band? If you think these songs are great, you're kidding yourself.

I feel like we are so starved for new material that we force ourselves into liking something that's apparently mediocre. At least we can be thankful that this isn't an actual U2 album.

pssst. these aren't U2 songs. they're Boner and Edge songs. written for Broadway. it's not meant to be the next U2 album.

cheer up.

I know, but it is a reflection of the band's lack of direction. So commercial, predictable, bland. I fell in love with a U2 that was idealistic, angry, experimental, and poetic. Bono (and by extension, U2) have become Boyonce with electric guitars. At least, Achtung Baby is being re-released this year. "We glorify the past when the future dries up."

Reeve Carney

Still here on the rooftop set for @SpideyOnBway's #RiseAbove1 music video shoot with Bono and @theedge360! Not gonna get much sleep tonight

I know, but it is a reflection of the band's lack of direction. So commercial, predictable, bland. I fell in love with a U2 that was idealistic, angry, experimental, and poetic. Bono (and by extension, U2) have become Boyonce with electric guitars. At least, Achtung Baby is being re-released this year. "We glorify the past when the future dries up."

This is throwaway material written several years ago on hiatus from U2, don't take it as any sort of indication of where they are now. Also, I don't think U2 was ever 'angry' they have had inflamed passions politically, but they've always been an optimistic band, which has been the case even more so in all their material after Pop.

The poetic, idealistic and experimental U2 is still there, they're just gunshy nowadays, just look at the 'unreleased' material we've heard over the past decade.

No way is this better than The Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack. None of these songs hold a candle to:

Stateless
Falling at Your Feet
Never Let Me Go

Honestly, the only song from Spiderman that is memorable after listening to the recording is Boy Falls from the Sky and maybe Rise Above, and even then they aren't particularly amazing and sound like U2 on autopilot.

I totally agree with you!!

Reeve Carney

Still here on the rooftop set for @SpideyOnBway's #RiseAbove1 music video shoot with Bono and @theedge360! Not gonna get much sleep tonight

Oooh they're shooting a video? :hmm: Neat! I wonder if Bono and Edge are there as directors or if they're gonna be in the actual video.

bicyclejoe said:

So you want them to write dark and angry songs for a broadway musical? Hmm oh and i actually do like a couple of the songs (not all) so please dont tell me i am kidding myself, thanks

So you want them to write dark and angry songs for a broadway musical? Hmm oh and i actually do like a couple of the songs (not all) so please dont tell me i am kidding myself, thanks

I never said anything about dark.

As far as "never being angry," apparently you folks have never seen the performance of Sunday Bloody Sunday in Rattle and Hum or understood the pain and deep heartbreak in songs such as Bad and Bullet the Blue Sky.

I just paid $250 to see them in Seattle. The show was so contrived, predictable, corporate and, like I said, Boyonce with electric guitars.

They have such a deep catalog, but don't have the courage to explore it live.

Then I read that they're working with Will.I.am on new material. I'm sorry, but the Black Eyed Peas are a plague on pop culture. If they really wanted to kick the darkness until it bled daylight, they would hook up with one of the hot new indie producers out there who have given us Arcade Fire's work or any of the excellent albums from The National.

I know there is no convincing the fanboys out there that these
Guys can do any wrong, but I personally don't care if they never release another album.

As far as "never being angry," apparently you folks have never seen the performance of Sunday Bloody Sunday in Rattle and Hum or understood the pain and deep heartbreak in songs such as Bad and Bullet the Blue Sky.

I just paid $250 to see them in Seattle. The show was so contrived, predictable, corporate and, like I said, Boyonce with electric guitars.

Then I read that they're working with Will.I.am on new material. I'm sorry, but the Black Eyed Peas are a plague on pop culture. If they really wanted to kick the darkness until it bled daylight, they would hook up with one of the hot new indie producers out there who have given us Arcade Fire's work or any of the excellent albums from The National.

Guys can do any wrong, but I personally don't care if they never release another album.

Well good for you, i really dont get what you are still doing here, do you expect everyone to bow to your opinion?, i really dont appretiate you trying to tell people what they should or shouldnt like, so you seen Zooropa live? seems like a pretty obscure none predictable song to throw into a show,

and i do care if they release another album, as i still enjoy there music.

A reminder for some folks:

It's a fucking BROADWAY show. And it's NOT U2!!!

If you don't understand that, you're not going to understand a lot about life.

I think it should be obvious that I'm addressing more than the Broadway show, unless you haven't bothered reading the thread.

Stateless
Falling at Your Feet
Never Let Me Go

Disagree.

Except for Never Let Me Go, I'd rate about 6 songs from Spiderman ahead of those. But, to me, it's like comparing Patsy Cline to the Clash. I love them both, but how does Walking After Midnight rank next to Clampdown? God, who knows. :hmm:

Truth be told, I love that U2 (excuse me, Bono and the Edge) continue to piss off so many people. From Achtung Baby to Passengers to Broadway, continuously changing and challenging the expectations of their core audience. Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse, but it's usually interesting.

bicyclejoe said:
If they really wanted to kick the darkness until it bled daylight, they would hook up with one of the hot new indie producers out there who have given us Arcade Fire's work or any of the excellent albums from The National.

I LOVE Arcade Fire and The National. I saw AF play at a bar about the size of my kitchen when Funeral first came out. I've seen them 4 or 5 times since. Great, great band, but if this is your standard for "kicking the darkness," I just have to shake my head. Great writers, but let me know when they've re-invented themselves even once. They're about where U2 was after War. I'm sure they will reinvent themselves. They're too smart not to. But just like U2, they're going to lose a lot of fans like you as a result.

You'd rate about 6 songs from Spiderman ahead of Stateless/Ground Beneath? Wow. I don't think I could count six U2 songs from the last decade that are as good - let alone better - than those two. (Subjective! IMO! Blah Blah!)

Reeve Carney

Well, that explains why they aren't on Leno tonight.

I respectfully disagree. I was at that Seattle show and thought it was incredible. The band was ON that night. If someone had told me I would hear All I Want is You, Stay, Even Better Than the Real Thing, Zooropa and Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill me in the same show I'd have gotten their head examined. Those songs are not predictable at all.

As for new producers, I agree, and I for one am positively giddy that they are working with Danger Mouse. I can't wait to hear what they come up with.

Hey bicyclejoe, what the hell is your problem?! You've seen one U2 show and that makes you an expert? If you don't care if they make more albums than go away. Leave the appreciation for U2 for the REAL fans.

Actually, I've seen 10 U2 shows dating back to 1987. The last two, both 360 tour, bored the hell out of me. My problem is that my favorite band seems to be phoning everything in these days. I'm sorry, I thought this was a fan forum where people were free to openly and honestly debate this great band and their music. I missed the disclaimer about "only positive, unquestioning posts by swooning fanboys allowed." My apologies.

Hey bicyclejoe, what the hell is your problem?! You've seen one U2 show and that makes you an expert? If you don't care if they make more albums than go away. Leave the appreciation for U2 for the REAL fans.

this doesn't seem a helpful response at all.

Well, that explains why they aren't on Leno tonight.

I respectfully disagree. I was at that Seattle show and thought it was incredible. The band was ON that night. If someone had told me I would hear All I Want is You, Stay, Even Better Than the Real Thing, Zooropa and Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill me in the same show I'd have gotten their head examined. Those songs are not predictable at all.

As for new producers, I agree, and I for one am positively giddy that they are working with Danger Mouse. I can't wait to hear what they come up with.

Unless you've followed the tour on the web and read the set lists. They're playing nearly the identical set lists every stop. I'd seen them play every one of those songs better in the past. So I was bored with them. Why aren't they courageous enough to try out some of their new material, like they did earlier in the tour instead of force-feeding use Pride and WOWY yet again? Take a band like Pearl Jam. I saw them three times in the same week in 2009 and the set list each night hardly repeated the one the night before. U2 is putting on a Broadway show while other bands are still putting on a rock and roll shows. I just can't defend them any longer to my friends who broke up with them after Pop. The magic's gone.

Maybe it's not constructive, but I just don't understand why people get on U2 sites and just trash them. If you don't like the music or the direction they go in, then why be part of these kinds of places to begin with.

Unless you've followed the tour on the web and read the set lists. They're playing nearly the identical set lists every stop. I'd seen them play every one of those songs better in the past. So I was bored with them. Why aren't they courageous enough to try out some of their new material, like they did earlier in the tour instead of force-feeding use Pride and WOWY yet again? Take a band like Pearl Jam. I saw them three times in the same week in 2009 and the set list each night hardly repeated the one the night before. U2 is putting on a Broadway show while other bands are still putting on a rock and roll shows. I just can't defend them any longer to my friends who broke up with them after Pop. The magic's gone.

I've seen 6 shows on 360, 3 on this leg and I really don't have an issue with the static setlists. Seattle and Anaheim 1 were identical and I loved both of those shows. I follow the setlist from night to night and when I'm online I might get annoyed with certain songs coming up over and over, but then I get to the show and it doesn't matter, I'm still dancing, singing and loving every moment of it. Also, I could never get bored hearing Streets, Pride, One or Until the End of the World.

The thing is as a die-hard fan, I understand that U2 isn't Pearl Jam or Springsteen. They don't shuffle setlists wildly and I'm fine with that even with seeing multiple shows on a tour.

newbie fight!

michael-jackson-popcorn.gif

Back
Top Bottom