Songs U2 should NOT play live

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

communist

The Fly
I was trying to get everyone's opinions on songs that U2 should not play live, cause the CD version of them sounds better!

Here is mine:

The Fly (Vertigo Tour version, Bono cant sing the same way live as he did in the CD)

Mysterious Ways (CD version sounds way better, and I hate it when Bono talks instead of singing the words, like in the ZOOTV Sydney video).

New York (live its horrible, too many effects running at the same time on the CD)

These are all that I can think of. Unfortunately the Fly and Mysterious are part of this tour, I love those songs, but live they slow them down and they dont sound that good.

I assure you: I'm not trying to be disrespectful or anything, and I do agree with your overall claim that "New York" shouldn't be played live (although I don't at all understand what you're talking about by criticizing the CD version)...but is you on crack???

I occasionally find the live version of New York tolerable. Don't get me started on the CD version.

Not sure about the others you named but I do love the intro of The Fly on the current tour. :drool: And I just put on one of the LA boots and it seems like B has learned the words again. :shifty:

So is this criticism based on listening to bootlegs or attending the concert? Why can't people just have fun and enjoy the concert experience U2 provides instead of treating it like a recording session for your bootleg listening pleasure? Come on! The Fly and Mysterious Ways are incredible to see performed live, it's hard to imagine a U2 fan not enjoying themselves while at the show during these performances.

A little bit of miscommunication here... I love U2 live... no matter what they perform.

I just prefer the CD version of the Fly and Mysterious Ways... Bono sings with some sort of vocal effect on the Fly in the CD version, which he does not do live...

Mysterious ways... I have seen that song live twice, and both times he starts talking instead of singing...

However I love the extended jam session they have in the end... that more than makes up for it!

New York, I love the song on the cd, just live there are a lot of the effects missing...

No offence intended to anyone, just my opinion, was curious to know if others agreed or disagreed!

wow. i've never actually heard anyone say that the album version of Mysterious Ways is better than the live version before. i just don't see it.

next thing you'll hear in this thread is that the album version of where the streets have no name is better than the live version LOL.....seriously though , I think If god will send his angels is a perfectly good example.

cheers

* One
*Bullet
*Sunday Bloody Sunday
* Pride
and finally, if they continue to do streets with the African flags, I would rather see that one go to until they replace the flags with the red.

mikal said:
wow. i've never actually heard anyone say that the album version of Mysterious Ways is better than the live version before. i just don't see it.

simple answer to your question... Bono's voice... he mostly talks in the live version of mysterious ways... in the cd version he actually sings in a really nice tone!

coach said:
next thing you'll hear in this thread is that the album version of where the streets have no name is better than the live version LOL.....seriously though , I think If god will send his angels is a perfectly good example.

cheers

Nope... nothing can beat Streets live... I am as big as a fan as any of you guys out here, but I think the cd versions of some songs are much better than the live ones! Specially from the Acthung era!

um..at anaheim2, people had to be picked up from the floor because 'The Fly' kicked their ass..it was awesome....then i listen to it on bootleg, and its good, but not as powerful..well duh...thats why we go to conerts no?
BTW MW also rocked..and New York was brilliant live on the elevation tour. just my opinion.

With Or Without You should be sent to the burial ground of songs that are never ever to be resurrected live.

It was one of the best songs EVER when performed on the JT, Lovetown, and ZooTV tours. The Popmart and Elevation performances were nothing but an insult to that majestic song. Bono can't sing it.

Besides that, everything's great. Even Pride's sounding good nowadays. I'm amazed by that.

The OOTS said:
MW and The Fly are two of U2s best live songs!!

New York can just plain disappear though...

Totally agree!
Now my choices are:

New Year's Day (ALWAYS sounds the same, always!!!)
With or Without You (exactly what Axver said above)
Acoustic Angel of Harlem/Desire (oh please)
whole ATYCLB :p (mayby except Kite)
Acoustic Wake Up Dead Man (if U2 will play one song from Pop, please let it be no that one!)

Songs U2 should not play live... OK, nice thread, there could be some good points in there. And then I see...
THE FLY?!
MYSTERIOUS WAYS?!!!
WTF?!!!
One of the best live songs U2 has and you say U2 should not play them?

The Vertigo version of the Fly is just amazing. That intro is so cool. And they can't drop New Years Day! It's. . . New Years Day! I mean, it wouldn't be a U2 concert if there was no NYD!

Most every u2 song sounds better live than the album version

The new Vertigo Tour version of The Fly is just amazing - listen to the San Jose Bootleg - if only for what The Edge does alone:drool:

communist said:

simple answer to your question... Bono's voice... he mostly talks in the live version of mysterious ways... in the cd version he actually sings in a really nice tone!

the album version doesn't have the extended guitar solo, which is the reason why the album doesn't even compare to the live version.

They will never do Acrobat or RHMT because they simply cannot reproduce them live in a quality form (regardless of how many petitions and whining they get)

Well I guess i am the only one who thinks that Mysterious Ways sounds better on the CD, than live... except for the exntended solo... love that solo bit! Anyways guys its an opinion! so no harm, no foul!

communist said:
Well I guess i am the only one who thinks that Mysterious Ways sounds better on the CD, than live... except for the exntended solo... love that solo bit! Anyways guys its an opinion! so no harm, no foul!

It's not just the solo... Adam's bass is more prominent, that beautiful Edge riff after the solo, Bono's falsetto vocals on ZooTV, Larry's intense drumming during the bridge, Edge's infectious riff at the beginning of the Elevation versions...
This song has evolved so much that I don't listen to the studio version anymore... Too bland for me, after hearing the amazing live versions.

Tie me Kangaroo Down, Sport
Save all your kisses for me
Do, do, do the Funky Gibbon
Uptown Girl
I will always love you
Toxic
Anything by Christina Aguilera

and definitely NO "Bohemian Rhapsody"!
:mad:

Right, now we've got that sorted........

Back
Top Bottom