Songs of Songs, Books & Fat Puns - New Album Discussion #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2025 sounds right. If Larry won’t be able to play live he probably won’t be able to put the hours in required to write & record.

So there are no plans, but there are all kinds of plans?
Got it.

No, you don’t got it. There are all kinds of things being discussed. The things being discussed are not yet plan - they’re doing what’s known as “planning.” Got it?

It stands to reason that if he can't perform live, then there's a good chance he can't spend hours jamming/writing/recording for an album either.

But we don't really know too much detail about these injuries or resulting restrictions, so there's at least the possibility that playing shorter, spaced out and controlled studio sessions is workable for him in a way that performing ~2 hour sets most nights for several weeks/months for a tour wouldn't be?

I guess we could know in a few months, as I believe Bono said they hoped to be back in the studio by Christmas. If we reach spring/summer and hear they haven't done any recording, that would indicate everything's on hold and any chance of new music in 2023 probably goes out the window.

Oh fuck not again.
Maybe once people learn to let others express their view without feeling the need to prove them wrong (without any proof ironically) then we can move on with some sensible discussions. As long as there are people out there who think how they interpret something is the only way of interpreting it or that what they think is right and others are wrong even when it can’t be proven then we might as well keep this facts and opinion bs going on a loop. Seriously, I mean it’s boring as fuck but if that’s how people on this site want to waste their time good luck to them. I’d rather discuss with fellow fans the possibilities and what we all take from news, rumours etc and be accepting of all views instead of trying to prove them wrong. Best bet if you don’t agree with me just ignore my comments in future and I’ll choose whether or not I want to ignore someone’s comments.

Again, this seems like a good opportunity to release Songs of Ascent.

An album of atmospheric, meditative, contemplative hymns probably wouldn't need the same kind of intensive drumming as a fuck off rock and roll record.

And it could be something they wouldn't need to tour as extensively as normal if it's not exactly stadium friendly music anyway.

(Though that assumes SoA is very 'uncommercial'; could easily be that it's not rock and roll but still very catchy, music maybe in the vein of ISHFWILF but more modern and atmospheric)

2025 sounds right. If Larry won’t be able to play live he probably won’t be able to put the hours in required to write & record.

I guess that's the bit which really is speculation as its a private medical issue.

For the initial Pop sessions he was laid out and literally couldn't sit at his drum stool for hours.

What he seems to be saying now is that its joint issues which are going to limit what he can do for a live tour - where he's basically giving it 100% each night on tour with no time to recover properly in between. Or it might be that it's just too painful and/or restrictive to allow him to perform like that at all.

But jamming/writing, even recording might easily be possible and manageable.

It does make you wonder why SOS hasn't come out now when the Bono book promo and hype is doing well and maybe even SOA next year with some low-key promo from even just Bono and Edge. Give Larry some time to do what he needs to do.

It stands to reason that if he can't perform live, then there's a good chance he can't spend hours jamming/writing/recording for an album either.

But we don't really know too much detail about these injuries or resulting restrictions, so there's at least the possibility that playing shorter, spaced out and controlled studio sessions is workable for him in a way that performing ~2 hour sets most nights for several weeks/months for a tour wouldn't be?

I guess we could know in a few months, as I believe Bono said they hoped to be back in the studio by Christmas. If we reach spring/summer and hear they haven't done any recording, that would indicate everything's on hold and any chance of new music in 2023 probably goes out the window.
U2songs believe that the brand new album is at the same sort of stage SOE was at in late 2016 when they decided to work on that further. Bono had to recover from a serious operation at the start of 2017 and then there was the JT anniversary tour. I think the amount of work on SOE would have been limited in that time and I think it will be the same with getting this new album right it’s probably mainly mixing and mastering left plus small details, I reckon the only thing stopping it being released in the next few months is just the band not being ready to tour yet, they’ll want to have all 4 band members in good health and raring to go to promote the new material and tour it. I think as the band are getting older the delays aren’t around getting the material ready but rather the band not being ready as individuals for various reasons. But admittedly there’s a lot of guesswork in a lot of that, just my thoughts.

OK so planning has nothing to do with plans. Now I definitely got it. In my opinion.

Lol, you still don't got it! You've gotta be fucking with me. Who said planning has nothing to do with plans? They are making plans. When they're done, there will be a plan. Do you think that when you're with a group of people trying to decide between going to a bar, movie, restaurant and staying in that you've already made a plan?

Maybe once people learn to let others express their view without feeling the need to prove them wrong (without any proof ironically) then we can move on with some sensible discussions. As long as there are people out there who think how they interpret something is the only way of interpreting it or that what they think is right and others are wrong even when it can’t be proven then we might as well keep this facts and opinion bs going on a loop. Seriously, I mean it’s boring as fuck but if that’s how people on this site want to waste their time good luck to them. I’d rather discuss with fellow fans the possibilities and what we all take from news, rumours etc and be accepting of all views instead of trying to prove them wrong. Best bet if you don’t agree with me just ignore my comments in future and I’ll choose whether or not I want to ignore someone’s comments.

Why don't you take a moment to self analyze. Why do you think you are involved in disagreements with the overwhelming majority of members here in multiple threads?

Its weird though because they said last year that they find it hard to write an album if they can't tour it.

But on the other hand they often say they're thinking about different ways to do things.

But they never do!

I'm sure it's not easy when there's four multi-millionaires in their 60s who all have different priorities in their work and personal lives though.

Why don't you take a moment to self analyze. Why do you think you are involved in disagreements with the overwhelming majority of members here in multiple threads?
Why? Because some of the people on here have likely been members for years and have became used to having their voice heard above other more recent members instead of letting a conversation take place and accept opposing views. But if you want to have a sensible discussion with me then that would be great. Do you not think Larry’s comments are open to interpretation and that the whole situation is open to interpretation given that we know how often and quickly the bands plans can change? Add to that we are talking about a venue that isn’t complete yet and at no point have any of the band claimed they would be the first to play vegas. Do you think the words can only be taken one way? If so we’re best just leaving it at that and not commenting on each others posts in general, if you can accept that people can take the words differently like I accept Dan’s and headache’s view on them then maybe future discussions could be had. I’d like to make that clear the opposing views to mine I accept completely whilst disagreeing but I don’t accept someone telling me/other fans we can’t possibly interpret the words different or suggesting that I/we are foolish for doing so.

Why? Because some of the people on here have likely been members for years and have became used to having their voice heard above other more recent members instead of letting a conversation take place and accept opposing views. But if you want to have a sensible discussion with me then that would be great. Do you not think Larry’s comments are open to interpretation and that the whole situation is open to interpretation given that we know how often and quickly the bands plans can change? Add to that we are talking about a venue that isn’t complete yet and at no point have any of the band claimed they would be the first to play vegas. Do you think the words can only be taken one way? If so we’re best just leaving it at that and not commenting on each others posts in general, if you can accept that people can take the words differently like I accept Dan’s and headache’s view on them then maybe future discussions could be had. I’d like to make that clear the opposing views to mine I accept completely whilst disagreeing but I don’t accept someone telling me/other fans we can’t possibly interpret the words different or suggesting that I/we are foolish for doing so.

Ok so you're talking about everyone else in your response, this is meant for you to self analyze. Why do you think this keeps happening to you in every thread?

Ok so you're talking about everyone else in your response, this is meant for you to self analyze. Why do you think this keeps happening to you in every thread?
I never said I was going to answer your question but since you’ve asked twice and seem keen for an answer I’ll give you it. I’m opinionated and don’t shy away from disagreeing with people, whilst others would let a fellow poster on here continuously put down other fans views and present their own views as if they were fact I like to call these people out. Me being opinionated doesn’t excuse people from not accepting other points of view though. If you look at all my posts I have always been accepting of other points of view as long as they are expressed as such and not as fact, it’s other people who haven’t been accepting of mine or other users. I think the real question is why do users think it’s acceptable to put down other peoples opinion and not accept other points of view? Would you be kind enough to answer that question? And would you answer my question in the previous post are the words/is the situation about the band open to interpretation? Maybe even room for some self analysing for you and a few other people on here as well.

Last edited:
I never said I was going to answer your question but since you’ve asked twice and seem keen for an answer I’ll give you it. I’m opinionated and don’t shy away from disagreeing with people, whilst others would let a fellow poster on here continuously put down other fans views and present their own views as if they were fact I like to call these people out. Me being opinionated doesn’t excuse people from not accepting other points of view though. If you look at all my posts I have always been accepting of other points of view, it’s other people who haven’t been accepting of mine or other users. I think the real question is why do users think it’s acceptable to put down other peoples opinion and not accept other points of view? Would you be kind enough to answer that question? And would you answer my question in the previous post are the words/is the situation about the band open to interpretation? Maybe even room for some self analysing for you and a few other people on here as well.

So if anything, it seems like 2 things going on.

1. You're very opinionated and a bit of a contrarian, which is fine. I have some contrarian friends.

2. You have a hard time accepting when someone doesn't agree with your point down to the T and you become very defensive, relying on semantics instead of coming to common ground to the point where people become so exhausted with you that it becomes comical to them.

I think if you can work on #2 a bit, you'll have a much better experience here. :)

i love how the "IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN" absolutists have changed into "maybe it will, maybe it won't," which was the entire argument against "IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN" yesterday, bringing them in complete agreement with the people they were arguing with yesterday, yet are somehow still finding semantical things to be contrarian back.

never change, interference. the rumors of your untimely death were greatly exaggerated.

So if anything, it seems like 2 things going on.

1. You're very opinionated and a bit of a contrarian, which is fine. I have some contrarian friends.

2. You have a hard time accepting when someone doesn't agree with your point down to the T and you become very defensive, relying on semantics instead of coming to common ground to the point where people become so exhausted with you that it becomes comical to them.

I think if you can work on #2 a bit, you'll have a much better experience here. :)
Not a contrarian at all, their are plenty of opinions I have that are shared by the majority of people, but if I have a minority view I still share it and debate it because a minority opinion doesn’t make it a wrong one. I don’t mind if people disagree with me completely, couldn’t care less. Just don’t suggest that you’re right and I’m wrong because the truth is most of the time whether we’re right or wrong is in itself open to interpretation. But in this particular point today and yesterday all you need to do is look around online and on here and there are several different interpretations of Larry’s words. Dan and headache’s views I completely accept as I’ve already explained so I don’t have a problem with their views and perhaps others I haven’t mentioned but I do have a problem with some of the patronising, sarcastic language on here which is aimed at putting down opposing views and suggesting people are wrong. Please look back at the comments and tell me is it me who can’t accept Dan’s views or is it Dan trying to tell people we are wrong to interpret Larry’s words different to how he interpreted them? But the point of view that the band might play without Larry whilst I disagree I’m 100% happy to accept. Others just need to learn to accept the opposite view.

i love how the "IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN" absolutists have changed into "maybe it will, maybe it won't," which was the entire argument against "IT'LL NEVER HAPPEN" yesterday, bringing them in complete agreement with the people they were arguing with yesterday, yet are somehow still finding semantical things to be contrarian back.

never change, interference. the rumors of your untimely death were greatly exaggerated.
Any quotes to back yourself up here or just talking BS?

Not a contrarian at all, their are plenty of opinions I have that are shared by the majority of people, but if I have a minority view I still share it and debate it because a minority opinion doesn’t make it a wrong one. I don’t mind if people disagree with me completely, couldn’t care less. Just don’t suggest that you’re right and I’m wrong because the truth is most of the time whether we’re right or wrong is in itself open to interpretation. But in this particular point today and yesterday all you need to do is look around online and on here and there are several different interpretations of Larry’s words. Dan and headache’s views I completely accept as I’ve already explained so I don’t have a problem with their views and perhaps others I haven’t mentioned but I do have a problem with some of the patronising, sarcastic language on here which is aimed at putting down opposing views and suggesting people are wrong. Please look back at the comments and tell me is it me who can’t accept Dan’s views or is it Dan trying to tell people we are wrong to interpret Larry’s words different to how he interpreted them? But the point of view that the band might play without Larry whilst I disagree I’m 100% happy to accept. Others just need to learn to accept the opposite view.

It really comes down to whether or not you decide to change your approach and how you respond to others that have opposing points of view. If you continue with your current approach, this is going to happen in every thread and not only lessen your experience on this site but everyone else's experience as well.

It really comes down to whether or not you decide to change your approach and how you respond to others that have opposing points of view. If you continue with your current approach, this is going to happen in every thread and not only lessen your experience on this site but everyone else's experience as well.
Well I’m happy to lessen everyone else’s experience in order for certain individuals to go through an education that when they believe something it doesn’t necessarily make it true and to accept other people’s views without putting them down. Happy to go round in circles, my patience is pretty good, a lot of the chat becomes boring including my own posts admittedly but better than letting someone think they can dictate a conversation. Accepting other people’s point of view is the only way of moving forward.

Well I’m happy to lessen everyone else’s experience in order for certain individuals to go through an education that when they believe something it doesn’t necessarily make it true and to accept other people’s views without putting them down. Happy to go round in circles, my patience is pretty good, a lot of the chat becomes boring including my own posts admittedly but better than letting someone think they can dictate a conversation. Accepting other people’s point of view is the only way of moving forward.

So that's a pretty selfish way to look at it and it appears that you are not willing to change even the slightest to achieve more friendly conversations here. The "education" comment is a contradiction to your original point of people accepting others' opinions.

Again, the ball is in your court to change your demeanor.

So that's a pretty selfish way to look at it and it appears that you are not willing to change even the slightest to achieve more friendly conversations here. The "education" comment is a contradiction to your original point of people accepting others' opinions.

Again, the ball is in your court to change your demeanor.
The ball is in the court of the people posting on here that have to resort to snide remarks and sarcasm when they don’t agree with someone. It’s really easy, put a point of view across and accept alternative views respectfully without suggesting they’re wrong, really easy.

Boy does that come off as condescending and a know-it-all attitude.

Just my opinion.
I know that you can’t have sensible discussions/debates with people when they don’t respect/accept opposing views or have to resort to sarcasm/snide remarks or patronising comments.

The ball is in the court of the people posting on here that have to resort to snide remarks and sarcasm when they don’t agree with someone. It’s really easy, put a point of view across and accept alternative views respectfully without suggesting they’re wrong, really easy.

So what are you going to change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom