Songs of Songs, Books & Fat Puns - New Album Discussion #8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bono is an amazing speaker, story teller, and wordsmith. Anytime he’s given a speech i feel he knocks it out of the park.

But i still long for the days when he would say less in his songs.

Both he and edge have an amazing way to incorporate spacing with guitar and vocals.

Tho Edge has disappeared on SOE, i think less lyrics would help bring his playing out more

Who knows how much he even played. Every song has multiple people contributing additional guitars and synths. The guitars - whoever played them - could be just as prominent as they were on Achtung if the album wasn't mixed with such a heavy focus on the vocals. But that's how pop music is mixed, and they wanted pop hits...

The loudness of his vocals in the mix seems to have started around HTDAAB

It’s about the time Bono commented how he finally learned how to sing after his father passing.

You go back to pre 2004 albums and it’s so striking how loud his singing is compared to past mixing.

I will say the one bonus to the current mixing standard is Larry has never sounded better. So clear and crisp. Where Those past albums i always found i had to really focus in on just his part if i wanted to catch his playing.

But maybe that was part of the plan too. It meant going back to the album to listen again and again. Each time picking one instrument to pay attention to. Not sure I’ve done that in a long time

So when are we expecting the album announcement of it is happening soon?

On release day? Friday to give it a few days to breathe?

If it’s release day, what sort of time are we expecting? Midday UK? 9am NA east coast?

My bet is Friday - 2 weeks before the release.

Amazon in the UK now saying the book isn’t being delivered until 8th Nov, and the CD audiobook just says deliver date pending?

So when are we expecting the album announcement of it is happening soon?

On release day? Friday to give it a few days to breathe?

If it’s release day, what sort of time are we expecting? Midday UK? 9am NA east coast?

My bet is Friday - 2 weeks before the release.

The current rumour is announcement tomorrow, but I agree Friday would make more sense to give the book room to breathe.

I reckon they'll tease an announcement tomorrow ("and stay tuned over the next few days for something"), and then announce on Friday.

The big question for me is whether they'll do a lead single, or if this album is meant to be a more muted release that will just come out without much fanfare.

If yes to a single, I think we'll get one either tomorrow or Friday - but I doubt we will get one, as I reckon it would've been picked up by U2songs etc by now.

The audiobook contains snippets of the new songs and info on the album (thought Maybe not a release date) but it’d be weird thing not to acknowledge the album tomorrow. Of course, u2 is weird

I wouldn't be surprised if it was late in the week mostly because Bono wouldn't want this project overshadowing his book. Unless the plan all along was for the album to help market the book, but it doesn't appear that way.

Amazon in the UK now saying the book isn’t being delivered until 8th Nov, and the CD audiobook just says deliver date pending?

I cancelled my Amazon order for the book as we get a couple with the tickets for the gigs, but I've no idea when they'll show up.

I just assumed they'd bring it up in the interviews that they'd also re-recorded new versions of the songs which were also chapter titles. Seems utterly bizarre to not mention it? But then this is U2 I guess...

Anybody have an idea if the audio will be available at midnight on Amazon? Was clueless how these things worked since I never read for fun.

Remarkable full interview on NPR, all these interviews are really wonderful and in-depth and the young lad has turned into quite the old sage.

Build the right YouTube playlist and you don’t even need to go to the book tour show

They'd be mad not to make the most of the attention the book is getting surely?

The audiobook contains snippets of the new songs and info on the album (thought Maybe not a release date) but it’d be weird thing not to acknowledge the album tomorrow. Of course, u2 is weird

all of the talk before the book has been about the book, not the album.

so i have to imagine that they'll talk about the music now. i can't imagine they'll let the Colbert appearance go by Thursday without saying something about the album.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was late in the week mostly because Bono wouldn't want this project overshadowing his book. Unless the plan all along was for the album to help market the book, but it doesn't appear that way.

I just assumed they'd bring it up in the interviews that they'd also re-recorded new versions of the songs which were also chapter titles. Seems utterly bizarre to not mention it? But then this is U2 I guess...

They’re dumb.

So basically the clips of the songs are short vignettes played over the lead ins to each chapter. LOH and OOC are very acoustic, quite bright and sparse. Not like they’ve done acoustic before though. The intro to the book seemed to be read over Wild Horses and it was very much the same.

In the LOH chapter you heard something that sounded more lush in the same melody popping through, and the OOC chorus has some interesting vocal stuff.

I’m all, it will disappoint some if this is the style for every song, but it’s also refreshingly different for their acoustic work, and refreshingly raw for them to put out.

I cancelled my Amazon order for the book as we get a couple with the tickets for the gigs, but I've no idea when they'll show up.

This is what it says on Ticketmaster page for Boston:

Each ticket purchased comes with a copy of Bono's forthcoming book, Surrender, to be released on November 1, 2022. Please note that books will not be shipped in advance, and instead will be available to pick up upon entry night of show.

So, I am expecting to be handed a copy of the book Friday night, we'll see.

Iris is a live version as the lead in. And Bono talks about panicking about how soft and raw and emotional the song is and it’s why the release was in jeopardy - he wanted to pull it a few days before the apple thing.

So basically the clips of the songs are short vignettes played over the lead ins to each chapter. LOH and OOC are very acoustic, quite bright and sparse. Not like they’ve done acoustic before though. The intro to the book seemed to be read over Wild Horses and it was very much the same.

In the LOH chapter you heard something that sounded more lush in the same melody popping through, and the OOC chorus has some interesting vocal stuff.

I’m all, it will disappoint some if this is the style for every song, but it’s also refreshingly different for their acoustic work, and refreshingly raw for them to put out.

ahh you're a star.. thank you for sharing

Was wild horses a new recording or the original studio?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom