Songs of Innocence downloaded 26 million times, 81 million 'experienced' songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The most surprising thing for me is it has 4 and a half stars on Amazon UK that's impressive

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

That's surprising indeed... Looks like the UK has forgotten about the band since the 00's..... Maybe EBW will break through the charts in the next few weeks. It's on the A-list of Radio 2. I hope they will make a video from that song that will be remembered.

This album was nowhere near the worst reviewed album of U2's career.

Id say that honor goes to Rattle and Hum, although over the years people have seemed to gain an appreciation for it.

This. POP was so poorly received that Bono had to grow his hair back!

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

And according to Bono " re apply" to be the best band in the world. So they wasnt the best when pop was out??is that what he was getting at???

This album was nowhere near the worst reviewed album of U2's career.

Id say that honor goes to Rattle and Hum, although over the years people have seemed to gain an appreciation for it.

If only internet had been around in the October days...

History of the Internet
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The history of the Internet begins with the development of electronic computers in the 1950s. Initial concepts of packet networking originated in several computer science laboratories in the United States, Great Britain, and France. The US Department of Defense awarded contracts as early as the 1960s for packet network systems, including the development of the ARPANET (which would become the first network to use the Internet Protocol.) The first message was sent over the ARPANET from computer science Professor Leonard Kleinrock's laboratory at University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA) to the second network node at Stanford Research Institute (SRI).

Packet switching networks such as ARPANET, Mark I at NPL in the UK, CYCLADES, Merit Network, Tymnet, and Telenet, were developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s using a variety of communications protocols. The ARPANET in particular led to the development of protocols for internetworking, in which multiple separate networks could be joined into a network of networks.

Access to the ARPANET was expanded in 1981 when the National Science Foundation (NSF) funded the Computer Science Network (CSNET). In 1982, the Internet protocol suite (TCP/IP) was introduced as the standard networking protocol on the ARPANET. In the early 1980s the NSF funded the establishment for national supercomputing centers at several universities, and provided interconnectivity in 1986 with the NSFNET project, which also created network access to the supercomputer sites in the United States from research and education organizations. Commercial Internet service providers (ISPs) began to emerge in the late 1980s. The ARPANET was decommissioned in 1990. Private connections to the Internet by commercial entities became widespread quickly, and the NSFNET was decommissioned in 1995, removing the last restrictions on the use of the Internet to carry commercial traffic.

Since the mid-1990s, the Internet has had a revolutionary impact on culture and commerce, including the rise of near-instant communication by electronic mail, instant messaging, voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) telephone calls, two-way interactive video calls, and the World Wide Web with its discussion forums, blogs, social networking, and online shopping sites. The research and education community continues to develop and use advanced networks such as NSF's very high speed Backbone Network Service (vBNS), Internet2, and National LambdaRail. Increasing amounts of data are transmitted at higher and higher speeds over fiber optic networks operating at 1-Gbit/s, 10-Gbit/s, or more. The Internet's takeover of the global communication landscape was almost instant in historical terms: it only communicated 1% of the information flowing through two-way telecommunications networks in the year 1993, already 51% by 2000, and more than 97% of the telecommunicated information by 2007.[1] Today the Internet continues to grow, driven by ever greater amounts of online information, commerce, entertainment, and social networking.

And according to Bono " re apply" to be the best band in the world. So they wasnt the best when pop was out??is that what he was getting at???

If Pop had sold 15m and won a sackfull of awards...yea he probably wouldn't have said all that "re-applying" BS. And he probably wouldn't remind us how "great" his songs are each time someone shoved a microphone under his nostrils either...tbh it's probably best to ignore virtually everything that he has spouted since 2000 onwards. He's simply become a pez dispenser for his own self-importance.

The huge majority of both the people irritated by it and the people regarding it as a bad album, already disliked U2, so nothing lost in there.

I believe that the overall balance was positive, even if they managed to move from some people's Ignore List to their Hate List. In other words, I don't believe they lost more fans than the ones they won.

Spot on. Brilliant marketing. *not perfect- but few things are.

SOI was more poorly reviewed than any of the band's 21st century records, but it's difficult to judge the full breadth of the critical consensus on October, R&H and Pop because there aren't as many contemporaneous reviews kicking around. I would guess SOI is right down there with those.

You're joking, right?

4 stars from RS
8/10 from NME
9/10 from Spin
4 stars from LA Times

Was it divisive? Sure. But the critical establishment for the most part appreciated what they were doing.

I'm sure I could find plenty of reviews that were poor if I cared enough... and U2 could put a pile of shit in a box and Rolling Stone would review it favorably.

Alas...

Pop was their most divisive record by far, mostly because they were still massive at that time.

Rattle and Hum got slammed, but fans still ate it up.

Songs of innocence has probably been even more decisive amongst critics, but far fewer people give two shits amongst the general population, so I can't put it up there against Pop.

And for the record I love Pop.

Of the few reviews at the time, that I read, Pop wasn't that badly received. But.. Am the reviews I remember reading came before the press conference and tour. So.. Eh.

SOI was more poorly reviewed than any of the band's 21st century records, but it's difficult to judge the full breadth of the critical consensus on October, R&H and Pop because there aren't as many contemporaneous reviews kicking around. I would guess SOI is right down there with those.

I would say its on par with the reviews for nloth. Some great and some really bad.

You have to remember u2 are there to be shot at by all the hipsters now. Its cool to knock u2,so some reviews will bear this in mind.

For the atyclb and htdaab era's u2 were a cool act(in the uk anyway) so some reviews would be good just to jump on the u2 ship!

I can't understand why people want to argue that Pop was so poorly received when it was released....ridiculous. On the contrary, in the US it was generally PRAISED, Discotheque was a Top 10 hit in the and was on the radio every 30 minutes (same with SATS), and the album was very well received by critics. I remember in a Seattle 107.7 was going on and ON about how incredible it was, and they were playing random (non single) tracks all the time.

Sometime around the release of LNOE, somebody somewhere decided that U2 was "too old" (or whatever their stupid rationale was) to be popular anymore and suddenly they were "uncool". From there, the album began to sour in the minds of critics and this bizzare transformation occurred where Pop got this "flop" stigma that still remains today.

I would argue that NLOTH is the worst received U2 album of all time, only because SOI was tarnished by the Apple debacle and very few critics have been able to separate the music from its release method (which shows you right there how worthless most music critics are). Just read the reviews...most aren't even reviewing the music at all. I argue that, had U2 made SOI free to download in the more "traditional" manner, most critics would be praising it. I also believe this is what they will do with SOE, and that album will redeem them in a sense.

Yeah, POP got good press. It just failed to connect to a wider audience. I just think they were out of place in a rapidly changing musical landscape in the late '90s is all.

POP was great then the shitty POP Mart Tour followed it with it's stupid fucking KMart release.

The Las Vegas opening night was a shit show and a lot of the opening dates were bad with Bono's voice going badly. By the time it hit Europe they were in form but it was too late for the U.S.

I even remember Craig Kilborn on the Daily Show making a joke about U2's career going crashing down like the of U2 spy plane with the tour.

Sent from my poop shoot

POP was great then the shitty POP Mart Tour followed it with it's stupid fucking KMart release.

The Las Vegas opening night was a shit show and a lot of the opening dates were bad with Bono's voice going badly. By the time it hit Europe they were in form but it was too late for the U.S.

I even remember Craig Kilborn on the Daily Show making a joke about U2's career going crashing down like the of U2 spy plane with the tour.

Sent from my poop shoot

This was my first U2 show and it was very.....grandiose. I did like the show in Giants Stadium but looking back, the Kmart announcement always had a very "tacky" feel to it. I remember skipping a class and going home to watch them announce live on MTV(imagine that, you couldn't watch something on YouTube) and it felt very "uncool". Then they performed a b-side.....IN Kmart....a b-side song in a b-side store :( (see what I did there). Then the whole muscle suits that they wore were NOT cool....very cheesy. I get that they were trying to go with a theme but it just failed for me.

Then there were so many low points for them.....

1-ABC special "A Year in POP" had horrible ratings (epically bad if I recall....like a 0.7).
2-Opening night in Vegas was a disaster. From not hitting the higher notes on Do you feel loved (voice cracks were really bad), to starting over If God Will Send His Angels and Staring at the Sun
3- Very poor ticket sales in the US
4-The album fell like a rock off of the charts. I believe it sold 1.3 million in the US during the "album boom" of the mid to late 90s)
5-They got stuck in the Lemon.....in the fucking mirror ball Lemon!
6-George Harrison's comments came out and you can say what you want about him (never carried for the Beatles myself) but he was a Beatle and it had an impact on U2(hence Bono reacting to it).

There were some big positive moments in between these issues like playing Sarajevo and Africa but those "wins" were few and far between. Not to mention Bono's voice was absolutely shot for the Sarajevo concert, so much so that he had to ask the crowd to song for him a couple of times(it did seem to get stronger as they show progressed).

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I can't understand why people want to argue that Pop was so poorly received when it was released....ridiculous. On the contrary, in the US it was generally PRAISED, Discotheque was a Top 10 hit in the and was on the radio every 30 minutes (same with SATS), and the album was very well received by critics. I remember in a Seattle 107.7 was going on and ON about how incredible it was, and they were playing random (non single) tracks all the time.

Yep. Critics loved the album until they started seeing the widespread fan reaction (especially in America) to the visuals. Kmart, Disco video and then POPmart's misplaced irony (and miscues at the start). Then there were revisions to reviews after that. 4 stars became 3 stars and so on.

Sent from my poop shoot

I remember Rob Lowe hosting a episode of SNL in '97 and made a joke about U2 of the '80s never selling out or something. It was a writer's pot shot at the grandiose nature of the Pop Mart tour.

This was always the point of the Popmart tour. It was taking the piss out of consumerism, however many didn't see the irony of them announcing the tour in KMart. I've never understood how the entire premise was overlooked.

Sent from down the rabbit hole

This was always the point of the Popmart tour. It was taking the piss out of consumerism, however many didn't see the irony of them announcing the tour in KMart. I've never understood how the entire premise was overlooked.

Sent from down the rabbit hole

Thats because it wasn't done very well

Back
Top Bottom