Songs of Innocence downloaded 26 million times, 81 million 'experienced' songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 were successful in getting noticed with the free download.
The iTunes or iPhone users who do not typically listen to this specific genre of music were probably irked with this gift the same as someone who gets irked getting junk mail in their inbox or mailbox. Media hoopla aside, I personally have not heard one complaint from anyone I know who uses an iPhone or iCloud.
I use an android phone, and iTunes on my computer didn't automatically download the album. I had to find it and download it into my iTunes library manually.

Too bad Bono apologized for this.. an apology wasn't necessary whether someone claimed it rude or not. The way I see it, it's rude to reject a gift.

I have been saying this all along, and I have an iphone4 and still had to download it myself. Even though it showed up in my iTunes, I had to download it first in order to listen to this great album. A public apology was not necessary

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Billy braggs comments

He also discussed U2'S recent decision to release their latest album for free to every iTunes user: "Like me, U2 probably sell records to U2 fans. How do you get beyond that? If Apple come along and say, 'How much did you make from your last record? We'll pay you that, and a bit more and just send it to everyone' - of course you would do that."

Very true

38 / 35
week 10U2 - Songs Of Innocence
Island / Interscope - 44.000

Little rise in sales and its still in the top 40 worldwide.

I was keep count but i stopped a couple of weeks back,its got to be close to 700k now.hopefully it gets to a million,which would be great

38 / 35

I was keep count but i stopped a couple of weeks back,its got to be close to 700k now.hopefully it gets to a million,which would be great

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

With a hit and some US promotion, touring the album should have no issue in reaching 1 million however it will be hard to calculate after the album falls out of the top 40 worldwide.

Originally Posted by AllIWantIs View Post
The iTunes or iPhone users who do not typically listen to this specific genre of music were probably irked with this gift the same as someone who gets irked getting junk mail in their inbox or mailbox. Media hoopla aside, I personally have not heard one complaint from anyone I know who uses an iPhone or iCloud.
I use an android phone, and iTunes on my computer didn't automatically download the album. I had to find it and download it into my iTunes library manually.

Too bad Bono apologized for this.. an apology wasn't necessary whether someone claimed it rude or not. The way I see it, it's rude to reject a gift.

I have been saying this all along, and I have an iphone4 and still had to download it myself. Even though it showed up in my iTunes, I had to download it first in order to listen to this great album. A public apology was not necessary

:up::up::up:

38 / 35

If one goes back to each week on the mediatraffic charts and totals the weekly sales it's about 617k. In the first few weeks of its physical release it was about 300k I think.

I had a fellow long-time U2 fan tell me they question such a high number.
Is mediatraffic a reliable source? Should I be proving these numbers by another/better source? These mediatraffic numbers are sales - physical and digital- since the album was available for sale in October. Correct?

Does Billboard do a similar accounting of overall album sales?

Thanks!

If one goes back to each week on the mediatraffic charts and totals the weekly sales it's about 617k. In the first few weeks of its physical release it was about 300k I think.

I had a fellow long-time U2 fan tell me they question such a high number.
Is mediatraffic a reliable source? Should I be proving these numbers by another/better source? These mediatraffic numbers are sales - physical and digital- since the album was available for sale in October. Correct?

Does Billboard do a similar accounting of overall album sales?

Thanks!

Media traffic is a good source but i think it only cover's about 90% of the market so its probaly done around 700k by now.

It's selling 40k a week and has done for a while,its still in top 40. If it can stay in the top 40 until the end of January it should have done a million WW

Media traffic is a good source but i think it only cover's about 90% of the market so its probaly done around 700k by now.

It's selling 40k a week and has done for a while,its still in top 40. If it can stay in the top 40 until the end of January it should have done a million WW

I'll be looking forward to that! :up:

The Ten Best Rock, Folk and World Records of 2014 | New York Observer

Songs of Innocence was not on this list until my grandmother passed away this past week. And then it clicked: a powerful and poignant collection of memories — the first time you heard your favorite band, met your first love, said your last goodbye. It’s the ghostly voices, just out of reach, that open “California,” reassuring: “There is no end to love.” When Bono implores his mother who died nearly 40 years ago to “hold me close and don’t let go” you almost think she will. U2’s ability to turn tales of loss — of youth, of parents, “of stolen days” — into affirmations of hope is a true blessing.

Originally Posted by AllIWantIs View Post

But they weren't noticed for the high quality of music. SOI was noticed for annoying a hell of a lot of people, and that's it. It's the worst reviewed album of their career, and has had nothing even approaching a hit. They were probably expecting people to be happy to get a free U2 record and to be amazed by how great it was. Neither happened. People were irritated, and it's regarded as being a bad album. The release was a complete failure, and they'd have been better off releasing it normally. Their ego prevents them from knowing how low their standing is, and their idealism prevents them from knowing that people's ears and minds have been closed by received wisdom and preconceived notions.

But they weren't noticed for the high quality of music. SOI was noticed for annoying a hell of a lot of people, and that's it. It's the worst reviewed album of their career, and has had nothing even approaching a hit. They were probably expecting people to be happy to get a free U2 record and to be amazed by how great it was. Neither happened. People were irritated, and it's regarded as being a bad album. The release was a complete failure, and they'd have been better off releasing it normally. Their ego prevents them from knowing how low their standing is, and their idealism prevents them from knowing that people's ears and minds have been closed by received wisdom and preconceived notions.

Exactly this. They're preoccupation with causing a cultural splash led to the music being almost completely eclipsed by the delivery method. They certainly did make a cultural splash, but not quite the one they had in mind...

People were irritated, and it's regarded as being a bad album.

The huge majority of both the people irritated by it and the people regarding it as a bad album, already disliked U2, so nothing lost in there.

I believe that the overall balance was positive, even if they managed to move from some people's Ignore List to their Hate List. In other words, I don't believe they lost more fans than the ones they won.

The huge majority of both the people irritated by it and the people regarding it as a bad album, already disliked U2, so nothing lost in there.

I believe that the overall balance was positive, even if they managed to move from some people's Ignore List to their Hate List. In other words, I don't believe they lost more fans than the ones they won.

You are spot on. They didn't lose fans, the people who didn't like them now hate them more.

The reviews I have seen on iTunes and Amazon have been very positive(once you look past the "I'm rating this 1 star because they forced it on me and I refuse to listen to it" reviews). We are even seeing them on several "best of 2014" lists. If it was considered a bad album, we wouldn't hear anything.

I think it's funny that when Rolling Stone says it's the best album of he year, some dismiss it as "they are in U2s back pocket and being biased". When they get a Grammy nod for best Rock album, some dismiss it as the academy throwing poor U2 a bone.

It's like anything positive that comes from SOI is faux.

Too bad, cause it is a superb album!

The most surprising thing for me is it has 4 and a half stars on Amazon UK that's impressive

Back
Top Bottom