Songs of Innocence - Album Discussion Pt.2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oh look big mac is here
everyone see

cvjgm_zps99296cde.gif

Just bought the physical deluxe version (will post photos when I go home).

Couple of interesting points:

1. The digipack is so glossy that even clean hands leave oil residue that is quite off-putting. First world problem, but still.
2. The booklets resemble the digital booklet from the iTunes release – it folds out into one long portrait-oriented booklet for the production notes and Bono’s essay, as well as another booklet for the lyrics (will update David’s fine effort on the bonus tracks soon)
3. It is a very sleek package, looks beautiful, and is a great addition to the collection. The standard CD was just a plain jewel case – nothing particularly exciting there.
4. The Busker version of The Miracle is in the acoustic sessions (I assume, can’t listen at work – alternatively, this could be the retailer bonus in the select US stores?)
5. Production for the bonus disc:

Lucifer’s Hands – Produced by Declan Gaffney and Paul Epworth
The Crystal Ballroom – Produced by Danger Mouse
Acoustic Sessions – Produced by Declan Gaffney (additional piano by Terry Lawless which explains his cancelled gigs)
The Troubles (alternate) – Produced by Danger Mouse
SLABT (AP mix) – Produced by Danger Mouse

Acoustic Sessions – Produced by Declan Gaffney (additional piano by Terry Lawless which explains his cancelled gigs)
Good stuff. :up:

Ok, so I took some (very bad) photos of the deluxe packaging. The gloss is so shiny it was impossible to do without significant reflections.

Front:
IMG_4188.jpg

Spine:
IMG_4190.jpg

Inside:
IMG_4193.jpg

Disc 1 Insert:
IMG_4195.jpg

Disc 2 Insert:
IMG_4196.jpg

Disc 1:
IMG_4197.jpg

Back (including fingerprints - so hard to keep it clean!):
IMG_4191.jpg

I haven't heard the new songs yet, but for those who have, is it surprising that Epworth has a credit on Lucifer's Hands?

Also, TERRY LAWLESS IS IN THE BUILDING.

I haven't heard the new songs yet, but for those who have, is it surprising that Epworth has a credit on Lucifer's Hands?

Not really - It was the least Danger Mouse-y of the bonus disc. Gaffney adds the balls to the song, Epworth makes it clean and marketable.

Have been saying for year, I would love U2 to do an album just with Declan. And have a bonus disc where every song gets a 'Fish Out of Water' remix.

Yes, actually, largely because Return Of The Stingray Guitar is clearly a song they worked on during the initial Danger Mouse sessions, way back on the last European leg of 360... so I figured that was at the very least worth a partial production credit.

But it doesn't ooze Danger Mouse the way Crystal Ballroom does. If that wasn't pure DM I would have been flat out stunned.

Just bought the physical deluxe version (will post photos when I go home).

Couple of interesting points:

1. The digipack is so glossy that even clean hands leave oil residue that is quite off-putting. First world problem, but still.
2. The booklets resemble the digital booklet from the iTunes release – it folds out into one long portrait-oriented booklet for the production notes and Bono’s essay, as well as another booklet for the lyrics (will update David’s fine effort on the bonus tracks soon)
3. It is a very sleek package, looks beautiful, and is a great addition to the collection. The standard CD was just a plain jewel case – nothing particularly exciting there.
4. The Busker version of The Miracle is in the acoustic sessions (I assume, can’t listen at work – alternatively, this could be the retailer bonus in the select US stores?)
5. Production for the bonus disc:

What about Invisible ? Danger Mouse ?

It does surprise me that Epworth was on Lucifer's Hands because he let them leave in that horrible bridge!! Not what a pop producer should let by.
I cleaned this song up with a few mouse clicks and outdid Epworth.

U2 will be contacting me for SOE I would assume. :wink: :D

Yes, Invisible is a DM production. It was declared when the song was released to iTunes.

Thought so. Given it's exactly the same with some slightly extended bits, another producer wouldn't be credited - maybe someone else assisting on mixing, but that's it (even then, no, probably not).

Ok, so I took some (very bad) photos of the deluxe packaging. The gloss is so shiny it was impossible to do without significant reflections.

Front:
IMG_4188.jpg

Spine:
IMG_4190.jpg

Inside:
IMG_4193.jpg

Disc 1 Insert:
IMG_4195.jpg

Disc 2 Insert:
IMG_4196.jpg

Disc 1:
IMG_4197.jpg

Back (including fingerprints - so hard to keep it clean!):
IMG_4191.jpg

Don't worry about the quality of your pics - that album cover looks bad no matter how good the photography. [emoji107]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The cover, to me, looks, just fine. It's grown on me and I've gotten over it. But The stuff that comes with it doesn't look very deluxe. I actually downgraded my order to the normal CD (as well as the LP) after hearing the songs. Those booklets look like some types them up on Word '95. And I agree on the glossiness. It shouldn't be a crime to pick up or touch the case.

Guess what guys? Glenn hates the cover. Just in case any of you missed it the first 3 times.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I just spent 2 weeks listening to EVERYTHING U2 has done in chronological order and it only confirmed what I previously thought.

The 80s and 90s work is all fantastic, and Pop continues to be criminally underrated by the general public, even if it is a middle of the pack album for me.

Then I got to the 00s. The first half of ATYCLB is unbelievably brilliant and among their best work, but the second half sucks (at least by U2 standards). And while I do like HTDAAB and NLOTH, they seemed like a slog to get through compared to their 80s and 90s work.

Then I finally got back to SOI after not hearing it all for 2 weeks. It is as good as their 80s and 90s output. Probably my #5 album after AB, JT, UF and Zooropa which I don't think can be topped. But just fantastic overall, and I did not expect that from U2 again. I'm happy.

How hilarious would it have been if Steve Lillywhite had been given sole credit for The Crystal Ballroom?

I just spent 2 weeks listening to EVERYTHING U2 has done in chronological order and it only confirmed what I previously thought.

The 80s and 90s work is all fantastic, and Pop continues to be criminally underrated by the general public, even if it is a middle of the pack album for me.

Then I got to the 00s. The first half of ATYCLB is unbelievably brilliant and among their best work, but the second half sucks (at least by U2 standards). And while I do like HTDAAB and NLOTH, they seemed like a slog to get through compared to their 80s and 90s work.

Then I finally got back to SOI after not hearing it all for 2 weeks. It is as good as their 80s and 90s output. Probably my #5 album after AB, JT, UF and Zooropa which I don't think can be topped. But just fantastic overall, and I did not expect that from U2 again. I'm happy.

I recently did something quite similar. Strangely I did not enjoy War as much as I used to. But yes, SOI, fits nicely in the upper middle of the pack for me.

Great stuff. And now with CB added as my second track, well. Boom! even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom