Songs of _________________; New album discussion #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh, RHCP have sucked since the 90’s.

I find it endlessly amusing that grown adults are still listening to this band and discussing them seriously. Like, they have a place in rock history, and their music was entertaining enough for a while, but being on tenterhooks with every new release and using them as a gold-standard stick to beat U2 with is quite the choice.

And there's not too many people out there that think his changes on Every Breaking Wave made it that much worse for wear.

:wave:

Watered it down (no pun intended) by removing that raw guitar. The album version is way too slick, esp on the chorus. My least favorite track on the album.

And then there's those piano-only live versions where Bono thinks he's Adele. No thanks.

There's definitely talented producers or songwriters out there, but it's easy enough to suggest someone without knowing if they'd actually fit in with whatever act is suggested. I like a lot of Greg Kurstin's work, but I see similar complaints about him on, say, Foo Fighters or Liam Gallagher discussions as I do with Tedder and U2. Some say Kurstin is "too pop" or strays these acts away from whatever fill-in-the-blank sound they want, and so forth.

Truth be told, I never really had a huge problem with Tedder working with the band, as his manner of songwriting isn't that different from U2's. A lot of his M.O. is just writing decent melodies over I–V–vi–IV chord progressions within the pop-rock sounds. And U2's background was pretty much the same thing (see: Streets, WOWY, Mothers of the Disappeared, Ultra Violet, Miracle Drug, The Wanderer, In a Little While, etc.). So stuff like Every Breaking Wave, YTBTAM, and GOOYOW was pretty much par for the course in that respect anyway. And there's not too many people out there that think his changes on Every Breaking Wave made it that much worse for wear. For many out there - even the professional musicians like Brandon Flowers and such, it was the highlight of the album.

It's easy enough to say as a fan (and I do the same!) But after trying my own hand at (terrible) songwriting over the years, I have a lot more respect for the process of trying to find those diamonds in the rough, so to speak. Writing a song is easy enough, but getting one that sounds any good is incredibly hard to do. And you have to sort through dozens - hundreds? - of ideas just to find those that are worth releasing. Sometimes it's easier than others and sometimes it's not.

But the idea of whether an album is "strong" or not is going to depend on which fan you're asking anyway. Personally, I liked SOI quite a bit and those were two of the highlights for me. SOE was a little less so, but even then, I still find it a victory to find at least a few songs I'll listen to regularly from an artist I really like. It's tough for musicians to get to a point with most people anyway, so I'll take what I can get nowadays.

Totally agree, I admire them deeply for even getting to a tune like Crystal or Troubles. Their much better than they were given air to preform and see. Endless kudos to them for even trying that hard still

I find it endlessly amusing that grown adults are still listening to this band and discussing them seriously. Like, they have a place in rock history, and their music was entertaining enough for a while, but being on tenterhooks with every new release and using them as a gold-standard stick to beat U2 with is quite the choice.

People are on tenterhooks because John Fruaciante is back in the band.

Their new album is better and more ambitious than anything U2 have done in 25 years, but it's not fair to compare them to U2 because their genius guitarist keeps taking extended breaks, which keeps things fresh. And they're all virtuosos, so they have more avenues of expression available. And they're not chasing hits...

U2 don't deserve kudos for trying, or for still being around. They deserve kudos for good music. They don't hold themselves to a lower standard because they're old, and neither should we.

People are on tenterhooks because John Fruaciante is back in the band.

Their new album is better and more ambitious than anything U2 have done in 25 years, but it's not fair to compare them to U2 because their genius guitarist keeps taking extended breaks, which keeps things fresh. And they're all virtuosos, so they have more avenues of expression available. And they're not chasing hits...

What is Anthony Kiedis a virtuoso of, exactly? Certainly not lyrics or singing.

Kiedis aside, the Peppers are making great music.
"Eddie" off the forthcoming album is a phenomenal track. One of the best songs they've ever done IMO.

Fair enough, but it's worth noting that RHCP's bar is considerably lower than U2's. The former has never scaled the heights that the latter has. They're competing with Under the Bridge and Give It Away, U2 is competing with Streets, Acrobat, A Sort of Homecoming.

I think No Line is a very ambitious album compared to what they had done earlier in the decade. That it was compromised is unfortunate but we can't act like the band have been taking it easy doing only generic material for 20+ years. And even on SOI and SOE they're trying sounds and styles not common to them. I wish there were more of it, but they haven't totally lost their sense of discovery or experimentation.

“It’s not a traditional rock and roll memoir in that sense,” he said. “And it’s a love story; it’s a pilgrimage. The pilgrim’s lack of progress would be a better title.”

How long has he been using this “pilgrim’s lack of progress” line? I feel like he’s been dropping that line into interviews, thinking it’s clever, since 2002-2003.

Fair enough, but it's worth noting that RHCP's bar is considerably lower than U2's. The former has never scaled the heights that the latter has. They're competing with Under the Bridge and Give It Away, U2 is competing with Streets, Acrobat, A Sort of Homecoming.

I think No Line is a very ambitious album compared to what they had done earlier in the decade. That it was compromised is unfortunate but we can't act like the band have been taking it easy doing only generic material for 20+ years. And even on SOI and SOE they're trying sounds and styles not common to them. I wish there were more of it, but they haven't totally lost their sense of discovery or experimentation.
What this guy said.

I thoroughly enjoyed going to see them last month. And yes, musically they're very talented - but they're not exactly breaking new sonic ground, nor have they ever.

And that's perfectly fine - it's just really odd to use them as a comparison point to U2, specifically around the band's respective ambition and experimentation.

agreed. I think anyone who isn't a big fan of RHCP pretty much think that all the songs are a slight variation of Give it Away or Californication. My appreciation for music and artists has always been emotionally driven, and the Peppers just don't hit that in any way for me. A lot does have to do with the singer. There is so much emotion tied to the vocal and I don't find it in Kiedis.

Also great point about the bar for them and for U2. It's not even in the same neighborhood. I think it's cool that they are still putting out decent quality music this many years on, and I think not having a bar set by several classic albums and expectations of drastic changes in sound make the road for RHCP much easier to travel than U2's. Oh and they didn't put their album on peoples phones.

If we're comparing U2 to RHCP, then we know standards are really really poor.

Awful band, technically gifted for sure but utterly destroyed by that tool of a frontman who can't sing, write, perform or do anything remotely talented.

Give It Away

u2-apple.jpg

Welp...

--the stress of seeing their legacy permanently damaged by a technical issue
--really bad dye jobs
--new york city pavement to the cranium at 40 mph
--the worldwide closure of sizzler
--two kilotons of Guinness

I think the others are ageing more in-line with movie stars and the mega rich, but poor Bono has had a hard time of it. That said, there's not nothing at all wrong with him ageing gracefully and showing his years, but man he needs to drop those round sunglasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom