Songs of _________________; New album discussion #7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone answered the question that was asked earlier: what are the range of ticket prices for the book tour show?

I'm probably not going to even bother trying but just curious.

I don't think anyone answered the question that was asked earlier: what are the range of ticket prices for the book tour show?

I'm probably not going to even bother trying but just curious.

For Chicago at least, the back sessions we $58 and the front sections were over $250. Nah, I'd rather see a Bucks game.

I was able to snag one ticket for Boston today after getting shut out yesterday. Took about 15 minutes to get in and then another 15 minutes of dealing with "another fan beat you" until one finally went through. I think part may be worse than the actually queue but I do miss the old system as well.

Was in the queue long before start time and did not end up getting even a single one. Disappointing

Last edited:
Man I hate this Ticketmaster virtual waiting room/queue BS
1000x this. It's nothing more than a scam to control who is getting access first. This is why all the resale tickets will be up shortly at exorbitant prices. Shut out in the pre sale and shut out today from Toronto. Hoping for ticket drops.

1000x this. It's nothing more than a scam to control who is getting access first. This is why all the resale tickets will be up shortly at exorbitant prices. Shut out in the pre sale and shut out today from Toronto. Hoping for ticket drops.

Immensely disappointing

Finally reached general sale and there was only about 20 resale tickets, most going for thousands of dollars. A practice that legitimately should be illegal

hey guy - welcome to full stop.

first line of business - tell ryan tedder to go fuck himself. full stop.

I wonder how much managers have a say over creative decisions. I recall Noel Gallagher's manager told him when he first went solo to not release a collaboration album with Amorphous Androgynous that was ready to go (and has never seen the light of day) and instead opted for the dull meat and potatoes thud of his first solo album. There's absolutely no way Guy Oseary has any good artistic taste given the appalling work he's presided over (just look at the laughing stock of clients he manages).

I can probably gather he recommended Tedder, who needs to be told to fuck off good and proper. And the funny thing with U2 is that they don't even hire good industry songwriters. which suggests their tastes have deserted them too. And there are genuinely talented and musically gifted ones out there like Greg Kurstin or Jack Antanoff.

But U2 resort to utter shit which is the problem. It's so insincere, bloated and flat choruses that do not emotionally resonant, and is a haters idea of what a U2 song sounds like. That's Ryan Tedder. There's no undercurring melancholy or feeling in it, it's generic and boring and boorish.

Creatively bankrupt doesn't even just refer to U2's lack of inspiration in the songwriting department, it refers to their downright weird choice of collaborators these days. Surely managers have a duty to creatively push genuine artists like U2, akin to the way Jon Landau influenced the creative decisions of Bruce Springsteen?

Last edited:
Ultimately the creative direction rests 100% on the band. They picked Tedder, not Oseary.

You would hope that new blood would have the balls to tell them that it's a bad idea to continue down that road.

Alas - my assumption is that the album is already in (or near in) the can.

I think this move is 100% about wanting someone else to reset their image vs. the guy behind the Apple debacle.

Last edited:
You know what, I'd almost welcome a significant delay if it meant they scrapped work with Ryan Tedder and made something new from scratch with someone else.

Even if they wanted to make a straight up, unapologetic pop album, there are so many other producers they could work with.

... Not that I think scrapping work is at all likely to happen, nor would I want it to given they likely don't have a huge amount of time left as a band. But it's a good point that this change in management happened to coincide with all those album rumours going quiet/more pessimistic. Maybe tour plans have changed, pushing the album back?

I doubt they’re going to scrap something unless they plan on touring wholly behind their catalog (i.e. SOS or Zoo/U’23) for the second time in under a decade. They didn’t fire producers, they fired a manager.

Azoff is going to want them out and touring. That’s where the $ is and that’s where they stake their reputation, not some album that no one is going to pay attention to outside of the fansite echo chambers.

They’ve been actually playing the nostalgia card in a way (with new music) since SOI with Bono’s narrative of how he grew up, SOE, The Joshua Tree Tour and now his book/tour.

If new management means new music and moving away from this “songs of”, “stories of” stuff but we have to wait until later next year I’m all for it. To me they just seem like a band without ideas. “You glorify the past when the future dries up”.

New theme, new music, already, please.

Last edited:
The thing I’m hoping for with new management is an opening of the vaults re live music official releases - especially on vinyl, and not just the same shows as the dvds

The thing I’m hoping for with new management is an opening of the vaults re live music official releases - especially on vinyl, and not just the same shows as the dvds

I'm not sure why this would be something not discussed before with both O$eary and McGuinne$$, so why would Azoff & Co. be the ones to finally convince them?

Either they're waiting until the band is officially retired to do that kind of thing, or they're just not interested in it, period.

Meh, RHCP have sucked since the 90’s.

Overall though, I think U2 still exploring new sounds and trying to push the envelope is ok, but the songs have to be good. They’re not going to have a big single again period. I think that’s all we want, good songs that don’t try too hard.

Don’t forget the creative brave energy songs like troubles and crystal ballroom hold, future albums will be just fine if they just commit themselves to themselves..finish strong

“The Little Things…” showed they can still find the spark, and the raw live version is what should’ve been on record

jacknife lee might be on the new album - he played with bono last night and is presumably touring with him.

I can probably gather he recommended Tedder, who needs to be told to fuck off good and proper. And the funny thing with U2 is that they don't even hire good industry songwriters. which suggests their tastes have deserted them too. And there are genuinely talented and musically gifted ones out there like Greg Kurstin or Jack Antanoff.

There's definitely talented producers or songwriters out there, but it's easy enough to suggest someone without knowing if they'd actually fit in with whatever act is suggested. I like a lot of Greg Kurstin's work, but I see similar complaints about him on, say, Foo Fighters or Liam Gallagher discussions as I do with Tedder and U2. Some say Kurstin is "too pop" or strays these acts away from whatever fill-in-the-blank sound they want, and so forth.

But U2 resort to utter shit which is the problem. It's so insincere, bloated and flat choruses that do not emotionally resonant, and is a haters idea of what a U2 song sounds like. That's Ryan Tedder. There's no undercurring melancholy or feeling in it, it's generic and boring and boorish.

Truth be told, I never really had a huge problem with Tedder working with the band, as his manner of songwriting isn't that different from U2's. A lot of his M.O. is just writing decent melodies over I–V–vi–IV chord progressions within the pop-rock sounds. And U2's background was pretty much the same thing (see: Streets, WOWY, Mothers of the Disappeared, Ultra Violet, Miracle Drug, The Wanderer, In a Little While, etc.). So stuff like Every Breaking Wave, YTBTAM, and GOOYOW was pretty much par for the course in that respect anyway. And there's not too many people out there that think his changes on Every Breaking Wave made it that much worse for wear. For many out there - even the professional musicians like Brandon Flowers and such, it was the highlight of the album.

Don’t forget the creative brave energy songs like troubles and crystal ballroom hold, future albums will be just fine if they just commit themselves to themselves..finish strong

It's easy enough to say as a fan (and I do the same!) But after trying my own hand at (terrible) songwriting over the years, I have a lot more respect for the process of trying to find those diamonds in the rough, so to speak. Writing a song is easy enough, but getting one that sounds any good is incredibly hard to do. And you have to sort through dozens - hundreds? - of ideas just to find those that are worth releasing. Sometimes it's easier than others and sometimes it's not.

But the idea of whether an album is "strong" or not is going to depend on which fan you're asking anyway. Personally, I liked SOI quite a bit and those were two of the highlights for me. SOE was a little less so, but even then, I still find it a victory to find at least a few songs I'll listen to regularly from an artist I really like. It's tough for musicians to get to a point with most people anyway, so I'll take what I can get nowadays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom