Someday U2 will have a new album. Today is not that day. discuss.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Eh what? What does that have to do with anything I said? :huh: the Grammy's can do whatever the hell they want, I just don't put any value to it like some people here apparently do.

And if the award is given to an album you really like, I guess then you put value to it?

Most bands (including U2) still put a lot of value on Grammy decisions, as do directors and movie producers on decisions of the Academy for the Oscars. There has to be some kind of indication for "quality" in the business (define it like you want it), otherwise all awards could be abolished all together.

What on earth gives you that impression... :huh: What part of I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT AWARDS SHOWS do you not understand? Whether it's negative or positive, I.do.not.care.
No, Galeangirl--and perhaps I shouldn't speak for Last Unicorn--I think he was asking how you REALLY feel.

Speaking of awards shows, did you ever see this Bono speech at the '93 Grammys? This might shed some light on why U2 always want to be part of the mainstream, and, yes, why they always wanted to be a part of award shows like this:

Bono Accepts Grammy for Best Alternative Act - 1995 - YouTube

Why is that relevant to how I feel.

Why are you people trying to convince me to care for these award shows? Because Bono cares I should care too? I'm not some blind fucking sheep that does everything he says. :lol: Sorry if I'm dissappointing you with that, but I don't care whether or not Bono endorses anything I do.

What on earth gives you that impression... :huh: What part of I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT AWARDS SHOWS do you not understand? Whether it's negative or positive, I.do.not.care.

I do understand, no need to be rude. Not everyone here is an idiot because they question your comments. Just speak for yourself and don't tell other people how they should feel about an album getting or not getting an award. Maybe there are people who care about their bands getting awards. Saying they don't mean anything in general is just wrong, IMO, that's not how the music industry works.

And no, it's not just Bono wanting a Grammy.

Loris, I'm a SHE, unicorns are female :)

And Alan Cross strikes again. Not really any new rumours, just twitter rehash:

Alan Cross - A Journal of Musical Things - Is the New U2 Album Out?Yet?

I do understand, no need to be rude. Not everyone here is an idiot because they question your comments. Just speak for yourself and don't tell other people how they should feel about an album getting or not getting an award. Maybe there are people who care about their bands getting awards. Saying they don't mean anything in general is just wrong, IMO, that's not how the music industry works.

And no, it's not just Bono wanting a Grammy.

Loris, I'm a SHE, unicorns are female :)

And Alan Cross strikes again. Not really any new rumours, just twitter rehash:

Alan Cross - A Journal of Musical Things - Is the New U2 Album Out�Yet?
My apologies, Last Unicorn, I should have known better -- especially since The Last Unicorn was one of my favourite movies when I was little. Did you get your name from that movie, by the way? Such a sad movie for a young audience. Now that I'm older, I can see that. Loved that movie. My sister used to have nightmares about the "Red Bull". That movie really resonated with me for some reason. There was a lot of depth there, I think....though I haven't seen it since I was a kid, so I'm just going by child-memory.

Why? I mean, I've been away a few days but in trying to catch up I haven't seen anything so far that disputes March 2014 ;)

jeesus didn't your sources tell you that the band have split up?!?!?!!!!!11

jeesus didn't your sources tell you that the band have split up?!?!?!!!!!11

funny-photo-ech6eirjt8-OMG.jpg

Can anyone help confirm a 'rumour' (damn things) I've just heard.

Apparently Sam O'Sullivan has mentioned that Larry & Bono aren't seeing eye to eye over the new material in a fairly big-ish way.

In anyone can help deny/confirm would be great

Come on. How the heck would anyone here be able to confirm or deny that?

otherwise all awards could be abolished all together.

And they could be. They could all be gone tomorrow and nothing changes. Awards like the Grammys are merely popularity contests. Just like the singles charts. Objectively, both are TOTALLY worthless as a measurement of quality.

I honestly can't think of an award that makes any difference to me. Film, music, TV, novels, etc. The whole process is so political in the entertainment industry and there is so much trendiness that takes place, I honestly can't think (off the top of my head) of a single award worth a damn. Least of which, the Grammys.

Can anyone help confirm a 'rumour' (damn things) I've just heard.

Apparently Sam O'Sullivan has mentioned that Larry & Bono aren't seeing eye to eye over the new material in a fairly big-ish way.

That would be nothing new at all.

Well, the way I'm interpreting this is that Larry (& I'm guessing the others) are 'up' for the new new material & Bono is not. Which 'could' in-turn be a reason for the delay/new studio sessions.

That would be entirely new and unique.

As Jeevey said, the other way around is almost always true. Bono vs the rest. Bono is the one that wanted to do Songs of Ascent. Along w/Edge, he was the main force behind making Zooropa and then making it a full album. The camps used to be the Bono/Edge vs Larry/Adam but my impression over the last many years is that the last guy in U2 really pushing for more...arty stuff - is Bono. The other three + Paul all see it the same way.

Which is why it was so stunning that Larry said they were thinking of two albums. And now they can't even agree on enough tracks for one, I guess.

The U2 Facebook page just posted an audio clip of... "Kite" from ATYCLB!!!! Yes, there is so much NOT happening with the new album that they've resorted to promoting ATYCLB all over again.

They have posted clips from TUF and Zooropa recently too. That's what it's come to.

The product is us? I agree with your previous post about them not just being musicians, but this doesn't make any sense.

That was a short way of saying, what they are really working to produce is an emotional response in the audience, us. That ecstatic, orgasmic stadiumful of God-walks-into-the-room that happens at a great U2 show? I'm pretty sure that's what it's all about for them, that the ability to do that thing is the standard by which they judge their music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom