Some personal thoughts on No Line On The Horizon, 6 months after release

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No, he's not lying - he's fucking with you!!!!!! :wave:

(Otherwise he would have re-recorded his vocal for the single release....)

He wanted to re-record it but decided against it because he doesn't want his fans to think he's ashamed of his performance, just yet. Said he'd rather wait until the next greatest hits cd where the band will record the "new and improved" versions like they did with the POP tracks.

He wanted to re-record it but decided against it because he doesn't want his fans to think he's ashamed of his performance, just yet. Said he'd rather wait until the next greatest hits cd where the band will record the "new and improved" versions like they did with the POP tracks.

Oooooh please please don't bring up that painful memory! If I've ever been ashamed of U2 it was then...... :(

They took out the Boom-chas and couldn't resist mutilating even Mysterious Ways..... :O

Oooooh please please don't bring up that painful memory! If I've ever been ashamed of U2 it was then...... :(

They took out the Boom-chas and couldn't resist mutilating even Mysterious Ways..... :O

You mean the part on Mysterious Ways where he goes "and she goes whoa and uh when she goes uh wiiiild" instead of "she sees the man inside the child"?

You mean the part on Mysterious Ways where he goes "and she goes whoa and uh when she goes uh wiiiild" instead of "she sees the man inside the child"?

"And no question she knows why..."

I hear next he'll be changing the line in One from "We hurt each other" to we "we spend a lovely day shopping but spend too much.." :doh:

Yes. Der Kommisser wasn't much better and Jeanny or whatever was atrocious. Frankly, his music epitomizes everything I'd love to forget about the 80s.

JEANNY WAS FUCKING EPIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish there was one song on the last two outings of U2 with such a fantastic chorus. :up:

Well, they're uh....both slow. Good observation, Gabe. By this criteria, it bears resemblance to:

The Ocean
Scarlet
Drowning Man
The Unforgettable Fire
Promenade
Bad
MLK
WOWY
RTSS
Love Rescue Me
Heartland
AIWIY
One
So Cruel
TTTYAATW
Love Is Blindness (this would be my choice, personally)

etc. etc.

Nice try. Ever compare the beats? I don't think there's another U2 song with the same beat at that similar of a tempo.

Also, what's with the delayed response time on my part? That was 12 pages ago! :lol:

you would be 10000047% right werent it for the fact that if someone is negative about something U2 do or have done their opinion IS 99,99% wrong in the eye of the interference public.

It's more like 99% of U2's output in the 00's is wrong in the eye of interference public.

Fact: if you like something U2 does, you will think that 99% of Interference is against you.

Fact: if you don't like something U2 does, you will think that 99% of Interference is against you.

I definitely don’t think they should have released MoS as the first single. Maybe Magnificent, but to be honest, I don’t think there’s any potentially earthshaking single on there, and I think U2 are probably beyond having them, to be honest.

What I do think they should have done is let MoS ‘leak’ out there as the first song to be heard from the new album, before Boots, but with no hype at all. It wouldn’t be something that’s going to get picked up by radio as BIG NEW U2 SINGLE! but something that’s going to get passed around and talked about all over music forums and blogs the world over. That would have gotten them a far, far better initial reaction from a more… shall we say… discerning music buyer.

I don’t mean that a cool/hipster/whatever crowd is important, I just mean the first wider buzz would have been very different. I think if MoS were the first thing to be heard, it would have given pause to the haters, whereas Boots was a quick one to shoot down as more of the same Bomb-esque stuff. Reading around the internets when it came out, it was immediately clear it was a tanker, and that does set up the album for a fall. MoS would have been undeniable as at least, if not considered great by absolutely everyone, a sign that deeper, more interesting things were coming from Camp U2.

Isn't that the problem with NLOTH? There is NO good first single. Hey, I love this album front to back, but unfortunately today you need a big, radio-friendly lead single to make your album sell and be seen by 90% of the mindless masses as a "good album". NLOTH doesn't have any good radio single on it. Maybe the closest is Crazy Tonight, but even that one I don't think would have been a good lead single. A band this age needs something with a punch a la Vertigo, Beautiful Day.

I think HTDAAB was U2's worst album by far, but look what a radio-friendly lead single did for that album. Most casual radio listeners don't know anything else off that record. But they know Vertigo, and that was enough to make the album sell and be seen by the masses as a good one.

It sucks, but that seems to be the way it works.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom