SOE 32: let there be no leak puns..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm honestly wondering if it was a mental health issue. That kind of thing is still so stigmatized, I can see why he's keeping it so private. Would also explain why he seemed to be able to bounce back physically for the tour. I can't see him keeping cancer private, I can see him urging people to get their annual checkups, etc. And if it was just a false positive, that's really eye opening, but not a brush with death.

Having suffered major depressive episodes and panic attacks myself, I interpret Little Things as being about a mental health crisis. But we all interpret things differently.

It's really none of my business. I just hope he's ok!

I have also experienced panic attacks, and the lyrics of Little Things really do describe a panic attack, especially the ending and the way it slowly swells. "The end is here". I remember my first panic attack. I was stressed out. Busy at work, brand new baby, 30 right around the corner. I was driving a semi down the road, and suddenly it hit me. I pulled over. I just remember thinking "the end is here". It felt like I was dying... death was happening to me. Then it stopped. I thought I had just had a heart attack at 29 years old.

I still struggle with it occasionally, but now I can sense them coming and know what they are, and how to work through it. Still scary though.

Recently, Bono has been worried about how he will be remembered when he dies. “The loss of David Bowie affected me profoundly,” he says. “And Leonard Cohen, who I didn’t know as well as David, but I knew Leonard.” Both singers were given a vibrant sendoff, and the tributes were 99% positive. That won’t happen for Bono.

completely untrue - the writer is a fucking moron!! plus Bowie was no saint and avoided tax for years in Switzerland... this writer is disgusting - if i were B-man i would refuse to do any more interviews and tell the press to go fuck themselves

completely untrue - the writer is a fucking moron!! plus Bowie was no saint and avoided tax for years in Switzerland... this writer is disgusting - if i were B-man i would refuse to do any more interviews and tell the press to go fuck themselves

I think that part is accurate.

There are things an interviewer does to interpret what is said, and unsaid in an interview. I dont think this writer is pulling this out of thin air. It's probably what Bono believes.

I have also experienced panic attacks, and the lyrics of Little Things really do describe a panic attack, especially the ending and the way it slowly swells. "The end is here". I remember my first panic attack. I was stressed out. Busy at work, brand new baby, 30 right around the corner. I was driving a semi down the road, and suddenly it hit me. I pulled over. I just remember thinking "the end is here". It felt like I was dying... death was happening to me. Then it stopped. I thought I had just had a heart attack at 29 years old.

I still struggle with it occasionally, but now I can sense them coming and know what they are, and how to work through it. Still scary though.

Glad you found ways to work through it! I did the same and I do my best to head them off before they happen and if they do, I at least know what's happening now. Take care of yourself!

Most high profile musicians and celebrities are glorified in death to some extent, even when they are seemingly undeserving of it - Lou Reed and John Lennon were by all accounts very abrasive personalities and treated people badly and they are still thought of as Gods.

Bowie's reasons for living in Switzerland were more complex than that and had a lot to do with a manager who fucjed him over (with his consent, but still). Also Bowie wasn't an activist and perceived to be a hypocrite, so he was held to a different standard. It's true though that Bono won't be remembered as fondly as Bowie and Cohen because U2 are much more divisive and didn't have as big if an impact as those two.

I think there will be a loooot of hypocrites out there changing their tune once he's gone though, just like Michael Jackson went from being a crazy, washed up child molester to a great artist (as though one can't be both) as soon as he died.

I thought that Times article was quite good.

regarding Bono's recent scare...we've all touched on the possibilities but perhaps it was simply just the plane scare he had somewhere over europe when the luggage door opened...could have been a lot scarier than they let on. I dunno.

That was years ago, the scare seems to have occurred about a year ago

I think it was probably more summer 2016 because they put the breaks on in September to the ramp up for release, and I saw on one of these interviews that the band went into the studio w/o Bono for a couple of weeks around then (August/September).

Seems like this thing happened about a year ago, whatever it was.

I don't think it was a heart issue or anything like that... i don't think he would have this big incident that shook him to his core that involved a heart attack, but then he'd be off drinking it up with Liam Gallagher a few months later

I don't think it was a heart issue or anything like that... i don't think he would have this big incident that shook him to his core that involved a heart attack, but then he'd be off drinking it up with Liam Gallagher a few months later

Noel

I'm not so sure about that... My brother had a heart attack a couple of years ago - doctor said he was lucky it wasn't worse with the blockage - anyway they put a couple of stents in, and he is pretty much good as new, and didn't have too much downtime. He quit smoking, lost weight and exercises more, but I think he drinks a bit more now than before the heart attack, lol.

Bowie's reasons for living in Switzerland were more complex than that and had a lot to do with a manager who fucjed him over (with his consent, but still). Also Bowie wasn't an activist and perceived to be a hypocrite, so he was held to a different standard. It's true though that Bono won't be remembered as fondly as Bowie and Cohen because U2 are much more divisive and didn't have as big if an impact as those two.

I think there will be a loooot of hypocrites out there changing their tune once he's gone though, just like Michael Jackson went from being a crazy, washed up child molester to a great artist (as though one can't be both) as soon as he died.

I thought that Times article was quite good.

Off topic I know, but just wanted to highlight the point you made in red above . As someone who very closely followed the Michael Jackson case, the verdict reached during his trial was 100% the correct one.

But eccentric to say the least though!

Yeah, I don't know what he did, but the public seemed certain of it and now it's like it never happened

Yeah, I don't know what he did, but the public seemed certain of it and now it's like it never happened

Yeh agree with that. Loads of hypocrites jumping on the bandwagon.

TBH if i hadn’t followed it closely I may have thought he was guilty. That’s the problem with sensationalist headlines.

Going back to interview talk, here's one Edge and Bono did back in Sao Palo... I know it's a little older but I just now saw it. Pretty good stuff all around, and Bono seems like his normal self.

Bono: "I had to make some changes about the way I was living my live, or else I might not be around."

Also: "As it happens, I think we will have a lot more to say"

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom