SOE 14: The Morning after Meltdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With the assumption (and probably closer to FACT) that no new music in 2016, what are the timelines for 2017?

Bono on Charlie Rose -- Tour in 2017
Bono & Adam at iHeart -- Tour in 2017
Adam at FanClub/Cleveland -- Tour 2017

Focusing on just the tour comments, when can we expect to see a tour announcement? If the tour resumes in Spring 2017, tickets seem like they'd need to go on sale January, possibly December correct?

Let's go with January, that gives us around 12 weeks of nothing. Most of December and early January are always vacation mode for the band (and why not, it's the Holidays and they are family men).

At this point I'm not banking on a new album, but I do think they'll go back on the road. Why? $

Focusing on just the tour comments, when can we expect to see a tour announcement? If the tour resumes in Spring 2017, tickets seem like they'd need to go on sale January, possibly December correct?

I'm gonna say November. My guess is they'll follow the model from two years ago in terms of ticket sales.

Wow, this place got CRAZY today at my expense! Haha, I love it!

As far as tour tickets on sale, it could be November, it could be after the new year. In my time as a U2 fan, U2 have put tickets on sale one month in advance (3rd leg elevation), or literally a year in advance (some of the later 2015 shows). But if the shows are in the spring, it'd most likely be between November and January.

Coldplay just announced a bunch of shows for 2017, some of which are literally a year from now. There is no set formula, really.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The Seattle Coldplay show is September 2017. The tickets go on sale next week. For those of you who might be math-challenged, that's 11 months in advance of the show.

Fuck off with that bullshit, Coldplay.

Pretty much just like today.

I mean, except for our new robot overlords. But other than that, nothing worth writing home about.

The world right now feels like a D.C. comic.. with killer clowns roaming the streets and villainous billionaires trying to run for president.

The Seattle Coldplay show is September 2017. The tickets go on sale next week. For those of you who might be math-challenged, that's 11 months in advance of the show.

Seriously! That's too much! So much can change in a year. A single person right now could be married with a 2 month old by the time the show rolls around!

I don't know but I think it was the last gig for the year. Unless they announce another in the next two months.

Now that they're doing the corporate gig circuit, any speculation on who U2 will play for next? Or was this more of a one time contractual thing since Salesforce sponsored the tour?

I know this corporate /charity gig has left a bad taste in your mouth. I was like WTF when I heard about it too but then found out about the charity aspect and thought that was redeeming.

I guess the question is, were they payed to play or did they offer their time for the charity?

At least U2's corporate gig was for charity. The Rolling Stones have played corporate gigs just for cash. I'm not sure how many $ it costs to book the Stones, but a couple million I'm sure.

Another band I at least used to follow, DMB, plays corporate shows all the time. Best Buy, Outback Steakhouse, even Phillip-Morris for fucks sake!

I guess the question is, were they payed to play or did they offer their time for the charity?

Someone asked a similar question in the Dreamfest thread and another poster (who is an employee of Salesforce) said they couldn't say much about it but that U2 did it for altruism.

I know this corporate /charity gig has left a bad taste in your mouth. I was like WTF when I heard about it too but then found out about the charity aspect and thought that was redeeming.

*paid

Well, there's still that U2start rumour about a live performance of TBT. If that live performance is simply Kygo playing the song a second time, then I suppose we'll hear nothing new from U2 in october / november. Maybe, huge maybe, a single and tour announcement in december. I don't think they'll announce the tour if the album isn't ready and they can at the very least release a single to create some buzz and fuel ticket sales. But that can happen in late 2016 or early 2017. That's based on the theory of a tour kickoff in spring 2017.

I'm sometimes math challenged, but banking all the ticket money for nearly a year collects a lot of interest that can pay a decent chunk of tour expenses.

It makes sense financially for the band and their promoters, not so much for fans.

There's no way U2, given who they are, could credibly have done this if it wasn't tied to charity in some way. And it did raise a lot of money, so that's great and they're covered on that score.

But it's sort of a grey area given how these corporate "partnerships" are set up. I don't mean to suggest U2 isn't a charitable band. Obviously they are, and have been. But they're also businessmen, and it's not a coincidence that Salesforce was (and presumably is) a sponsor of their tour, and no doubt this appearance was tied in some way to those agreements, for which the band has already received quite a bit of money. So in a way it's irrelevant if Salesforce paid them specifically for this gig...U2's been paid by Salesforce one way or another. This isn't like doing a one off concert or series of concerts for a specific charity where the band gets nothing. U2 has a continued and evolving relationship with this company.

So it's all tied together in a series of cross promotions, and it's nice that a very worthy cause is benefiting from it. And it's fine. Corporate sponsorship of rock tours is a reality of the business today. As I said I'm probably being too harsh on them about it, but the image of them doing one of these gigs for a bunch of lanyard badge wearing, and generally indifferent convention goers just sort of sits with me the wrong way. But it was just for the kids, after all, so it's all good.

Last edited:
I know everyone makes jokes about it and I never really bought into it but Bono is.....fat(for a rock star).

He has a noticeable belly and is starting to look like the Marlon Brando of Rock.

I watched the Gloria vid from Chicago iE Tour, which is a spectacular performance mind you, and Bono is really....uh.....robust looking.

Sxf,essssss

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using U2 Interference mobile app

I know everyone makes jokes about it and I never really bought into it but Bono is.....fat(for a rock star).

He has a noticeable belly and is starting to look like the Marlon Brando of Rock.

I watched the Gloria vid from Chicago iE Tour, which is a spectacular performance mind you, and Bono is really....uh.....robust looking.

Just more of him to love.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom