So, Winter's been rerecorded (streaming link inside)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I find it funny how, before this version was heard, all comments were about how bad the Linear version was. Now people get to hear this one and it's all "it just doesn't compare to the original".

I like both in different ways and I'm happy we get to hear both.

interesting that U2.com says that Winter and Bad are on the soundtrack, yet the only soundtrack i can find anywhere is the original score.

I think Bono sounds good, the melody is a lot clearer but I miss the strings at the beginning and Edge's gorgeous part at the beginning. Don't understand the hate, they've released far worse songs than this.

Very disappointed. Just a flat piece of shit, like POE or COL. Why wreck such a good starting point with the original. Yes, this is just a short clip, but you can just tell its been ruined. The riff and whole atmosphere of the original got me so excited because i knew if they worked on it, it could be the new Bad. They have worked on it, and just completely ruined it. So pissed off atm, sick of this U2

Very disappointed. Just a flat piece of shit, like POE or COL. Why wreck such a good starting point with the original. Yes, this is just a short clip, but you can just tell its been ruined. The riff and whole atmosphere of the original got me so excited because i knew if they worked on it, it could be the new Bad. They have worked on it, and just completely ruined it. So pissed off atm, sick of this U2

not every song has to sound like "Bad". this sounds more like RTTS, The First Time, AIWIY.....also great songs.

not every song has to sound like "Bad". this sounds more like RTTS, The First Time, AIWIY.....also great songs.

I never said every song has to sound like Bad. But the original is so much better, this is just flat and no where near good vocally. The whole potential of a great song has been wiped out of the window. That riff in the original was the best riff ive heard in years in a song, and im actually pissed off atm its been scrapped.

I was wondering, do we know that this is a rerecorded/reworked version, and not actually an earlier version that was recorded for the movie from the beginning. Everyone is saying they ruined it etc but I just don't remember if they have actually said this is a later version.

hey I'm just wondering where everybody has heard the full song since half of you have written it off as a huge failure. last i checked we've only got 90 seconds of it?

Are you stating fact or opinon?

For what it's worth, I think this is the Eno version mentioned in the Q interview ("a lovely piano ballad with strings"-type quote, whereas the Linear version is likely to be an earlier "live in the studio" version.

:lol: at this thread

I think the people that are creating those facebook pages and blogs bashing U2 are coming here! Seriously!

And by the way, someone said it sound like One Step Closer... :scratch: wth?

I wasn't going to respond earlier, but you've posted this twice now, mikal. This 90-second clip of Winter sounds nothing close to RTTS, First Time, or AIWIY (I think you used 'Heartland' as a comparison earlier instead of AIWIY)...at least not to my "stupid" ears. It goes without saying that songs can be subtle in more than one way: 1) Made subtle so that credits can roll over the top of the song as an audience leaves a movie theater (this version of Winter, and I think Hands That Built America would fall under this same category); and 2) Subtle/ethereal in a way that the song paints a scene or a situation in vivid colors (mentally) without ever needing to be attached to a movie. RTTS definitely does the latter for me - and so did the version of Winter on Linear, based on its entire combination of music, lyrics, and Bono's delivery.

i think WINTER is one of their best songs ever...especially the new clean version.

:sexywink: sorry i'm only kidding:sexywink:

Sounds like it will fit the movie ending well, which is the point. Since this song probably won't ever show up on a U2 album, we might as well have a slower, acoustic version to go with the more rocking Linear version.

If you were hanging your entire fandom on the production of this one soundtrack song, well...

I like the first one waaaaaaay better. By a million miles. This just seems to be stripped of everything exciting that was on the Linear version. My opinion of course but it seems like they went too far in changing it.

Have you seen the movie?

Again, even if you thought the Linear version was amazing, the choppy transitions hurt the track and from what we've heard and read this new version certainly fixed that problem. And yeah, an 'exciting' song is not the way to end this movie (going by the 2004 Danish movie, I haven't seen Sheridan's yet but it appears to be a play-by-play remake).

I'm disappointed. The original version really effectively sets a complex mood that fits the theme of the song (the starkness of the original intro, Edge's Mercy-like guitar line driving the journey through a far-off land, Bono's great vocal delivery on the original version, including his narration of the young man's development into manhood using the Big-Jim voice, Edge's other guitar elements including the part where he simulates the helicopter in the desert using his guitar). For me, the original music and the story told by the lyrics go hand-in-hand (the music is not just incidental in this type of song). I actually just hoped they'd rerecord Adam for the song and leave everything else alone (I didn't like the original bass part; I hoped they'd maybe also replace those strings in the original intro with something different; but that's about it). This new version sounds like Bono programmed some simple chords and a drum loop on his keyboard at home and started singing over the top (before warming-up his voice). :down:

I still have issues with the original version, but this is a pretty great defense of it, and a quick distillation of why the new one sounds cheap. It may fit the movie better, but it's about as lifeless as the last song they contributed to a film. And it doesn't sound any more deserving of an Oscar.

Looks like I'll be doing a little editing on the beginning of my Linear rip of the original and making my own definitive version.

I never loved it..... The original was the weakest song we'd heard from the NLOTH sessions.... This sounds much better!

yes it does. I was just saying -after seeing the other thread about winter (linear version)- I'm surprised to see a lot of people saying they like original version when before it was just a sub-par song.

I'm not judging anyone :up:

Does anybody else hear the "Dallas" clip strings in the background when "Words would find me.." starts? or am I hearing that?

yes it does. I was just saying -after seeing the other thread about winter (linear version)- I'm surprised to see a lot of people saying they like original version when before it was just a sub-par song.

I'm not judging anyone :up:

Lol! There are also a lot of people who claim, despite the insanity of the remark, that Native Son would have been a better song than Vertigo.... People just like the "secret" "unknown" "non-mainstream" versions of songs because that's the fun thing to do, not because of the actual song quality...

Niceman,

Perhaps you're right about some people flip-flopping. I will point out though that I loved the Linear version from the start. I actually thought it was among the 2 or 3 strongest tracks I heard from the NLOTH sessions.

And for what it's worth, I thought Native Son paled in comparison to Vertigo.

Opinions are awesome aren't they?

I wasn't going to respond earlier, but you've posted this twice now, mikal. This 90-second clip of Winter sounds nothing close to RTTS, First Time, or AIWIY (I think you used 'Heartland' as a comparison earlier instead of AIWIY)...at least not to my "stupid" ears. It goes without saying that songs can be subtle in more than one way: 1) Made subtle so that credits can roll over the top of the song as an audience leaves a movie theater (this version of Winter, and I think Hands That Built America would fall under this same category); and 2) Subtle/ethereal in a way that the song paints a scene or a situation in vivid colors (mentally) without ever needing to be attached to a movie. RTTS definitely does the latter for me - and so did the version of Winter on Linear, based on its entire combination of music, lyrics, and Bono's delivery.

yes it does sound like those songs. i agree with your categories though.

Back
Top Bottom