so, who all here has stayed at The Clarence?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Twice. My husband also worked there for a few months.

Also used to drink there a few days a week (the barman was a great laugh).

Saw some interesting people hanging around. :wink:

Agreed. Brekkie is brilliant.

I took pix of my DD at the front door, walked in and studdered all over the people at the front desk. We walked down the hall to look at the menu (the prices!) and slunk out the back door.

Does that count? Is there a shame-faced emoticon?

gman said:
Am i the only one who finds it a bit sad if the ONLY reason ppl stay there is because of the u2 link?

Why is that sad? This is a U2 board.

Also, the Clarence is an enormously expensive hotel. I doubt most people would spend that kind of money unless there were a pretty compelling reason.

I'm sure if they were worried about it, they wouldn't have bought a hotel in the first place.....:shrug:

I hope to visit there sometime soon too....

gman said:
Am i the only one who finds it a bit sad if the ONLY reason ppl stay there is because of the u2 link?

I can't afford it so I'll never go, but I don't really think U2 would care. It seems they haven't even been breaking even on the place and hey, at least the fans are spending money there...

gman said:
I find it sad....its almost like stalking u2! Unless of course, your in the habit of staying in random posh hotels
Liverpool now has a Beatles hotel. :lol: A Hard Days Night Hotel its called, Ive never stayed there but Ive had a coffee in their bar. Its really, really nice. And even though its a 5 star, the bar prices were pretty reasonable.

Wonder if they'll ever do a U2 hotel? :lmao:

I stayed there for one night 2 years ago. Loved the breakfast! Aaaand- we had the best view over Dublin from a hotel room ever :ohmy:

dscf2099dl8.jpg

Well, hotels in Dublin are too expensive anyway... I think we payed about 30 Euros more p.p than we would have payed in another (3 star) hotel. Well, it was worth it anyway.

Last edited:
I've stayed there a lot, 3 days for my birthday, 2 that one time I didn't want to leave Dublin, and 2 when I left Dublin first time, and 2 when I left Dublin last time. A friend of mine worked in the bar for 2 years. I made friends with her because I was there so often. So many memories there. It is such a wonderful place. The ambiance is just amazing.

Last edited:
Stayed for our 20th anniversary - going back this Fall it's beautiful and worth the $:heart: I have stayed elsewhere in Dublin (love the Clarence)

I'm going tomorrow!

My plane leaves Seattle for Dublin in 8 hours!! ....(I should be sleeping)....I will be checking in on Sat. 5/10 for 3 nights :) When I was there in December I had dinner and several evenings at the Octagon bar; but we stayed elsewhere. This time I am staying at the Clarence! I am sure I will be at the bar on Saturday night having a drink to celebrate a birthday :sexywink: Any Plebans in Dublin this weekend??

I stayed there last November for 2 days with the girlfriend, Had couple of cocktails and pints in Octagon bar before heading out, Taxi driver took us to around some of U2's landmarks while on way from airport to,
Could just make out the roof from where i was in the hotel. Im glad I did it when i did,
The only downside was Bono had just paid a visit there about an hour before we got there, then he was shooting off to Africa
:sad:

gman said:
I find it sad....its almost like stalking u2! Unless of course, your in the habit of staying in random posh hotels

:shifty: I always like to stay in random posh hotels. :lol: Just ask WildHoney, we did Chicago together one in a REALLY nice hotel. ;) :drool:

And if i can't get a room at a really nice hotel i always visit a really nice hotel bar. They do the best cocktails. :drool:

Clarence cocktails blow your mind. :wink::drunk:

Never stayed there yet though, hopefully sometime soon in the not so distant future. :shifty:

Its also one of the most central hotels which is good.

Savi424 hope you have a great trip. :D

I've never stayed there .....yet, but I often go to Dublin on business and it's my empoyers who book my acommodation, I usually stay in an apartments building in Lord Edward's Street, just two streets away from the Clarence, and from time to time we (people from work) have a drink at the Octagon or we have dinner at The Tea Room, the food is really good, sometimes it's quite difficult to book a table if you're not well in advance. Before it was closed, we used to go to The Kitchen for a dance the night before we left for our respective countries, you had to be veeery well dressed to get in there, but I think it was the best place in the city centre (of course I can't get into Lillies, it's only for members), and yes, I've seen some famous faces there, the last one I recall is Sting, Bono has always been more ellusive, he's always just entered or left, but always nowhere to be seen at the moment I am there.
I don't know why you say it is like stalking, it is a public establishment for people to go, I don't go there and stay for hours and hours just to see if I can catch as glimpse of U2, I go there because I like the place, the fact that some of its owners are Edge and Bono adds more attractive for me as I'm a fan, and I prefer giving my money to these people I know than giving it the the owners of the Merrion, for example, I do the same when I buy their music.

I've been in a few times but can't say there's been much craic.

Maddie, have you seen that Translink are doing day return tickets on the Enterprise for a tenner? You have to buy them on translink.ie but I had them sent out to me within a day. We're going next Saturday. Bargain. :drool:

Thank you, I'm sure I will have fun! I am in Chicago waiting for my connection to Dublin. What drinks do you recommend at the Octagon bar? Last time I just drank wine. The hotel has been so helpful, I have been emailing them regarding my stay. They are going to try to get me a room when I arrive even though it will be about 10:00am. Maybe they just don't want me sleeping in their lobby after my 17 hours of travel :lol:

Back
Top Bottom