So what've we got so far? - a proposed map of the album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So what've we got so far, in this proposed map of the album?

We've had yet more song descriptions.

about 3 break through classics have been mentioned by Q, and there clear and attractive descriptions of the songs are looking very good. 'best song' ,'anthemic', 'this albums 'one', comparisons to 'with or without you, and an intriuging description of:

Get on Your Boots/Get your boots on?
Demented electro grunge with rock and roll riff and a hip-hop twist ind the middle.........."I dont wanna talk about war between nations"

the chorus lyric essentially sounds like "only love is magnificent"

"love" could mean god, could mean ali, woman, oneness, etc. (sounds like some classic AB bono style lyrics..)
so, only it is/feels "magnificent"
what does magnificent feel like?
that song's groove

mmboy

thanks! (obligatory :drool: )

Yeah...that starts to make sense then. Seems like it could be one of those "Beautiful Day" type songs that I never thought I'd like from them, but have come to love.

So what've we got so far, in this proposed map of the album?

We've had yet more song descriptions.

about 3 break through classics have been mentioned by Q, and there clear and attractive descriptions of the songs are looking very good. 'best song' ,'anthemic', 'this albums 'one', comparisons to 'with or without you, and an intriuging description of:

Get on Your Boots/Get your boots on?
Demented electro grunge with rock and roll riff and a hip-hop twist ind the middle.........."I dont wanna talk about war between nations"

I've always suspected that the song could be somekind of commentary on war and the struggle between nations. When I think of "Get your boots on" for some reason I think army boots. Could be a nice twist if he refers to the army boots in the song and changes it into something like a "sexy boot" as people had thought he was originally singing.

Hey guys

Has enyone those two clips of Larry drumming from the brazilian forum? The links seem expired. I got a clip of Larry at the HQ garage playing a bit, but it wasn´t a beat, he was more kindda jamming. Cheers!

We're getting news every few days, thanks to this I shall not get any sleep. :hyper:

I got clear, what the beach clips 1-4 meant and sounded like. But now a lot of peole here talk about a 5th clip. Can anybody help me?

The hype was probably not as high as for this album.

i don't know, i remember everyone going NUTS about "miracle drug"--but i guess that was before we heard a clearer version of it, where we could hear the ridiculous space sounds and everything...:D

i don't know, i remember everyone going NUTS about "miracle drug"--but i guess that was before we heard a clearer version of it, where we could hear the ridiculous space sounds and everything...:D

unfortunately, the beach clip of Miracle Drug gave us the best part of the song (Edge singing and guitar solo leading into the last chorus). if we would have gotten a beach clip of the first 2 minutes of the song, i don't think there would have been as much hype for the song.

yeah, and LAPOE was kind of a let down too.

this is why I have not listened to any of the clips for this next album. I want to base my opinions of the songs on the full audio versions.

yeah, and LAPOE was kind of a let down too.

this is why I have not listened to any of the clips for this next album. I want to base my opinions of the songs on the full audio versions.

good call. i kind of wish i would have waited too, though my initial impressions are that there is a lot more substance to these new songs than Miracle Drug, Vertigo, and LAPOE.

good call. i kind of wish i would have waited too, though my initial impressions are that there is a lot more substance to these new songs than Miracle Drug, Vertigo, and LAPOE.

I just don't know what it is about the songs from HTDAAB...they are great and all but there's something that I just can't quite put my finger on that prevents them from having the same "oomph" as songs from UF, JT, or AB....know what I mean?

I listened to them again for the first time in a long time yesterday to get myself back in the U2 mood. I forgot how good the songs are, but I also forgot how they aren't amazing. Its weird. They seem kind of self contained little musical highlights, but as a whole they don't flow very well. UF, JT, and AB had a nice musical flow. HTDAAB doesn't have any flow IMO.

I think what I'm looking for the most on this next album is the flow. Y'know, where you put the album in and listen from track one to the last track and it gives you that "experience". As opposed to putting the album on random and hearing the songs in whatever order because it doesn't make a difference what order they are in like on HTDAAB.

I just don't know what it is about the songs from HTDAAB...they are great and all but there's something that I just can't quite put my finger on that prevents them from having the same "oomph" as songs from UF, JT, or AB....know what I mean?

I listened to them again for the first time in a long time yesterday to get myself back in the U2 mood. I forgot how good the songs are, but I also forgot how they aren't amazing. Its weird. They seem kind of self contained little musical highlights, but as a whole they don't flow very well. UF, JT, and AB had a nice musical flow. HTDAAB doesn't have any flow IMO.

I think what I'm looking for the most on this next album is the flow. Y'know, where you put the album in and listen from track one to the last track and it gives you that "experience". As opposed to putting the album on random and hearing the songs in whatever order because it doesn't make a difference what order they are in like on HTDAAB.

Absolutely! that's my exact problem with HTDAAB too. while it hosts some of my favorite songs like COBL and OOTS, it just doesn't have the replay value that UF and AB have. i almost wish songs like Smile and Mercy would have been on the album because it would have provided a little more atmosphere and depth.

i do think the band has learned from their mistakes though, which is why i have very high hopes for this record. also, hearing comparisons to UF, AB and Pop help. :)

Absolutely! that's my exact problem with HTDAAB too. while it hosts some of my favorite songs like COBL and OOTS, it just doesn't have the replay value that UF and AB have. i almost wish songs like Smile and Mercy would have been on the album because it would have provided a little more atmosphere and depth.

i do think the band has learned from their mistakes though, which is why i have very high hopes for this record. also, hearing comparisons to UF, AB and Pop help. :)

I can easily say that COBL and Crumbs are my favorite. I find myself skipping past a bunch of the songs, which is why I wrote the comment about "musical flow". I agree that some of the b-sides could have been put on there for some depth....except for Mercy :wink:

Cohesiveness

I hope the new album sounds like an album - in the vein of JT, AB, Zooropa, UF, and not like the last 2 albums, which sounded like a bunch of singles thrown together.
ATYCLB was way too top heavy, in my opinion and Bomb was just all over the place.
Like I can listen to all those albums in one sitting and get a cohesive-vibe...but not the last two. Even Pop...if you skip past Miami.
Any one agree, disagree? Of course I know, I'm basing this on nothing and it's all speculation...but I'm bored.

there is discussion about this topic in the "map of the new album" thread that's stickied at the top of this forum.

How did the how to dismantle reviews compare to the real thing?

Album ? About the same as ATYCLB, a touch more critical.

Pre-album hype ? Both Bono and Edge said it's one of their best (same thing happened for ATYCLB). Dallas Schoo said it's U2's best song collection otherwise no talk from non-band member collaborators.

I agree superfly ! After the last 3 song collections we need an album now, and inspired Bono/Edge.

Album ? About the same as ATYCLB, a touch more critical.

Pre-album hype ? Both Bono and Edge said it's one of their best (same thing happened for ATYCLB). Dallas Schoo said it's U2's best song collection otherwise no talk from non-band member collaborators.

I agree superfly ! After the last 3 song collections we need an album now, and inspired Bono/Edge.

Well in all fairness to the boys, ATYCLB was really really good and a very necessary album for them to make. I would also argue that Beautiful Day is easily one of their top 10 songs of all time and a hit that they deperately needed to get back into the limelight.

Well in all fairness to the boys, ATYCLB was really really good and a very necessary album for them to make. I would also argue that Beautiful Day is easily one of their top 10 songs of all time and a hit that they deperately needed to get back into the limelight.

Beautiful Day is in my top 5 favourite U2 songs, it has that nostalgic feeling imo.

I agree with you.

^ id go so far as to say that Beautiful Day saved their career. If ATYCLB was received in the same way Pop was, they wouldnt be making music now.

I think both the last two are brilliant albums. Some don't like them, that's fine, but yeah (and i know i and others had said this a number of times) they really are very good albums, collections of songs, whatever they are.

The one arguement I tihnk is wrong is that people say it isnt innovative, or expansive or whatever. I would say that it is very different to all their other stuff, and that in itself is a reinvention. Just another stage in a storied career that you may or may not agree with. If you don't, tough for you.

^ id go so far as to say that Beautiful Day saved their career. If ATYCLB was received in the same way Pop was, they wouldnt be making music now.

I think both the last two are brilliant albums. Some don't like them, that's fine, but yeah (and i know i and others had said this a number of times) they really are very good albums, collections of songs, whatever they are.

The one arguement I tihnk is wrong is that people say it isnt innovative, or expansive or whatever. I would say that it is very different to all their other stuff, and that in itself is a reinvention. Just another stage in a storied career that you may or may not agree with. If you don't, tough for you.

Same, I quite liked ATYCLB and HTDAAB, I mean they weren't perfect, but pretty solid in my opinion. Both albums have several excellent songs. :up:

^ i dont think they are their worst albums by a long way.

There are some cracking tunes on them, and BD definately saved the career

^ i dont think they are their worst albums by a long way.

There are some cracking tunes on them, and BD definately saved the career

ATYCLB: Beautiful Day, Stuck, Walk On, Kite, WILATW, New York, TGBHF...

HTDAAB: City Of Blinding Lights, Miracle Drug, Sometimes, OOTS, Crumbs...

All those songs deserve many listens. :up:

I noticed it's one of your favourites, Crumbs usually gets a mixed opinion, some like it, some despise it. I like it. Heck I don't even mind Vertigo. :D

WILATW is a hidden gem, very meaningful and emotional. :up:

How about the beach clips from 06? Is there any possibility of those being on the album from the Q news

Back
Top Bottom