So how are the new songs holding up?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hits: Raised by Wolves, (big reaction, high energy) Cedarwood Road, (amazing visuals and sound) The Miracle (fun opener)

Missed: Iris, (love the song but something is missing live...boring stage/lighting set up and arrangement is lacking energy. Also Bono needs to stop trying to make the ending sing along happen) Song for Someone, (meh, lots of sitting and not a lot of sing along) Every Breaking Wave (more of a neutral for me, break for the crowd but good traction overall)

Invisible has very cool staging and sounds great, but not many people seem to know it and it is slotted in a weird place in the set.

From LA 3 and 4. They play too many new ones in a row and it really brings down the energy.

I actually loved Cedarwood Road, Raised by Wolves and even Iris. Songs are powerful played live and even if some of them are not my favorite I'm actually happily surprised how much of SOI I do love in this show!!! Love the older stuff of course BUT actually love the "Newbies" as well. (Although if I must admit, I fell in love with this band in the Achtung Baby age and would love more songs from then and Zooropa....just saying:D)

I wonder what happened, Jimmy Fallon version on the rooftop was awesome.

Meh will wait to see it in person rather than judge it based on a video, as people there saying it's pretty good

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Meh will wait to see it in person rather than judge it based on a video, as people there saying it's pretty good

Actually, a common theme of people who've been to shows so far is that Invisible is underwhelming and the crowd don't react to it very much.

Or do you just assume that anybody with a criticism hasn't been to a show yet?

Invisible sounds just fine to me, only reason the energy is so flat is U2's extremely poor choice to leave it off the record. Nobody knows the song except for the hardcore fans (vibe was great by the rail, but of course it was).

Hits: Raised by Wolves, (big reaction, high energy) Cedarwood Road, (amazing visuals and sound) The Miracle (fun opener)

Missed: Iris, (love the song but something is missing live...boring stage/lighting set up and arrangement is lacking energy. Also Bono needs to stop trying to make the ending sing along happen) Song for Someone, (meh, lots of sitting and not a lot of sing along) Every Breaking Wave (more of a neutral for me, break for the crowd but good traction overall)

Invisible has very cool staging and sounds great, but not many people seem to know it and it is slotted in a weird place in the set.

From LA 3 and 4. They play too many new ones in a row and it really brings down the energy.

I was at LA 3 too and basically agree with all of this. And for what it's worth, I did enjoy watching the listed "missed" songs live as well. Hope to see ones like California and The Troubles during the Chicago shows, but we'll see!

Actually, a common theme of people who've been to shows so far is that Invisible is underwhelming and the crowd don't react to it very much.

Or do you just assume that anybody with a criticism hasn't been to a show yet?

Sorry boss won't do it again

Invisible sounds great live, its the staging that sucks and kills the energy of the show. Performing inside of a video screen creates a terrible dynamic, and kills the song. I am not sure how it would go over otherwise, but the staging certainly hurts.

They need to kill the whole idea of all 4 playing inside the screen as a ban, or do 1 song tops, where its obvious that they are playing in there. The general crowd doesn't know what is going on when Invisible starts. I heard multiple people say, "where is the band?" on both nights in Phoenix.

As for the others, all were good, with song for someone being the most tepid. Iris sounds great, as does cedarwood (ending is fantastic). RBW, has an incredible beginning, but falls flat from about halfway on. RBW is one I wish they would rotate out, but it fits with the story so much in the first half, I don't see it getting rotated.

They need to kill the whole idea of all 4 playing inside the screen as a ban, or do 1 song tops, where its obvious that they are playing in there. The general crowd doesn't know what is going on when Invisible starts. I heard multiple people say, "where is the band?" on both nights in Phoenix.

Is this from the GA perspective or just in general? I can definitely see how it might be a bit of a disadvantage during songs like Invisible and EBTTRT from down on the floor, but I personally thought they looked pretty good from the seats. Invisible's only 'problem' per se is that it's a song that many might not be familiar with, even though I felt the effects for it worked for what it was worth.

I like Invisible a lot, and I wish more people did. But Invisible just shouldn't start the 2nd half of the show. It's not well known enough to be the "AND WE'RE BACK!" song after The Wanderer.

Maybe switch with EBTTRT? They could have Wanderer's siren bleed into Real Thing's opening riff, or something. Or anything that will get the crowd pumped, like a NYD? Have the screen fade white instead of yellow, like a blanket of snow, and have the band appear inside like the music video. Something corny like that. As long as it excites the audience, which Invisible sadly doesn't. :(

I think the thing with invisible is they are going with a big wow moment type thing when the house lights come on, it seems from that point on is where it takes off as high as it does

Maybe the point is to confuse the audience about when the intermission is over and when the second act is beginning? But it was definitely confusing for a lot of people at the SJ shows. A lot of people just seeing a big red screen with a black line bouncing around for the intro and first lines without realizing a) it's a U2 song at all b) it's not a recording.

Invisible works to me because of the powerful moment with the house lights

I still say Zooropa would be the ultimate way to open the second set. the crowd response for it on 360 was quite good, it's quite an attention grabber with good visuals regardless (the 360 visuals for Zooropa/UF are the embryonic version of what the screen is now), and you could go into Invisible right after and people would go nuts for it.

Cedarwood Road is the best of the new songs live without question, they went all out on that one. The Miracle is good but shouldn't be the opener, but rather second as a way to really get the crowd into it. Raised by Wolves is impressive visually and whatnot but isn't insanely thrilling to me once it gets going. Iris is boring but I know it's needed. same with SFS and EBW

as said in other threads, we need Crystal Ballroom and Reach to pump this set up.

The Miracle is good but shouldn't be the opener, but rather second as a way to really get the crowd into it.

I felt that way originally too, but I think it works for the most part after finally seeing it live. The key change definitely has something to do with that.

I love Invisible. I love hearing it live. I think part of the problem is people don't know how long the "intermission" is, and thus are still returning to their seats. The other problem is the staging. They don't really seem to get it. The floor loves it, but I've seen the folks up in the seats sitting down.

Is this from the GA perspective or just in general? I can definitely see how it might be a bit of a disadvantage during songs like Invisible and EBTTRT from down on the floor, but I personally thought they looked pretty good from the seats. Invisible's only 'problem' per se is that it's a song that many might not be familiar with, even though I felt the effects for it worked for what it was worth.

First night i was GA, 2nd night about 20 rows back, and heard this where is the band question both nights. Didn't really see a difference in reaction.

If they are going to do a song in the screen, the Fly would be the perfect song, with visuals from zooTv, or even a segment of zoo station and the fly opening from zootv.

First night i was GA, 2nd night about 20 rows back, and heard this where is the band question both nights. Didn't really see a difference in reaction.

If they are going to do a song in the screen, the Fly would be the perfect song, with visuals from zooTv, or even a segment of zoo station and the fly opening from zootv.

those three and Zooropa!

I wouldn't hate them if they did Zooropa/The Fly/Invisible/EBTTRT/Mysterious Ways and then swapped it the next night with Zoo Station/The Fly/Invisible/Discotheque/Crystal Ballroom, just so we don't overload one night with Achtung and the other not

I think EBTTRT is cemented as the "exit the screen" song but you could easily do that with Discotheque too I think, start the song inside and move out as it kicks in, and then the disco balls kick on as soon as the "you get confused" part kicks on

I think EBTTRT is cemented as the "exit the screen" song but you could easily do that with Discotheque too I think, start the song inside and move out as it kicks in, and then the disco balls kick on as soon as the "you get confused" part kicks on

Plus the screen is a lot easier to get out of than the lemon...

Sent from my SPH-L720 using U2 Interference mobile app

those three and Zooropa!

I wouldn't hate them if they did Zooropa/The Fly/Invisible/EBTTRT/Mysterious Ways and then swapped it the next night with Zoo Station/The Fly/Invisible/Discotheque/Crystal Ballroom, just so we don't overload one night with Achtung and the other not

:up: Discotheque would be perfect.

Just watched the Ordinary Love and Volcano videos from LA. Bono's voice is sounding ridiculously good now. His voice was a bit rough back in San Jose and Vancouver.

I heard a lot of singalong from the crowd during Volcano last night, at least around the e stage.

No how I envisioned Volcano, a little more accousticish where I was expecting it to actually go the other way and get revved up live. Glad to see it show up and hope it sticks around. Among my favorites along with California. Hope both get played at least once Chicago 4 & 5.

Acousticish? There's nothing acoustic about it.

Well I guess he's not using electric drums, so yeah his drums are acoustic.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom