Shuttlecock XXI: Laz is Bigger Than Anyone in His Way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have we officially reached the point where U2 are playing static setlists?

Only changes over the last six shows have been All Because of You, Gloria and Red Flag Day in that one or two spots. Pretty disappointing.

They are far too obsessed with narrative.

I'm sure this faux-musical works for some people, but I'd rather a rock show.

Like last year, it seems that they took their time planning this show, so that they wouldn't have to "shake it up" frequently.

Remember Bono screaming 'IS THIS ROCK AND ROLL' during the climax of End Of The World during ZooTV, probably the most regimented, coreographed U2 setlist of all time?

Of course, it was a fucking phenomenal setlist. They probably got pretty practiced at playing it, which would account for the relative lack of embarrassing flubs during that long tour.

I've said many times that I'd be more than happy with a static setlist from pretty much every single tour pre-Elevation. Even some of those Elevation sets I'd be happy with cos of Pop. Maybe a few rare instances from Vertigo and 360 too.

i+e had plenty of variation. I'm surprised e+i is so lacking.

I've also said many times that I would muuuuuuuuuuuuuch rather U2 being a dinosaur band that tours and plays their back catalogue more frequently than the band they are right now. I admire that they're not that... but the music they're making isn't good enough to justify it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, but I've reached the point where I'm fine with it.

I occasionally feel the need to roll my eyes or nitpick, but it's all gravy at this point.

Also, hello Acrobat. Throwing such a huge bone to the fans goes a long way. Keep that up, fellas.

I just... want it less scripted. I don't like musicals, and at this point U2 are barely more than a rock and roll Broadway production. There's only so far that this band has ever been willing to go in terms of setlist rotation, and they've had big-budget presentation for decades, but even on Vertigo they could shuffle things around a bit while keeping the production and (a looser but still significant) narrative intact. I preferred that.

This tour leaves me cold. Over-produced, and too much new stuff. Acrobat doesn't change the fact that the entire setlist after it blows. You could leave as Bono does another stupid faux Facetime conversation and miss not a thing.

What’s this??

Someone in Los Angeles wrote a parody based on Waiting For Godot that was a satire on U2's career. Bono and Edge are waiting for a pizza delivery, and over the course of waiting argue back and forth about getting in touch with their roots / the common man, without realizing that they really have no grasp on reality whatsoever.

It was *full* of references to basically everything major/embarrassing that's happened to them outside of music in the last decade, including Edge's problems in Malibu, Spiderman the Musical, Bono crashing his bike, SOI being foisted on anyone with iTunes, etc. There were also a lot of great lyrical references, some music, and just generally it was smartly done and very funny.

Travis and I couldn't figure out, however, whether or not the guy who wrote it was a U2 fan or not. I think he would get along pretty well in this thread, because while the play overall was rather negative towards U2, it was clearly written by a fan who understood this idea of them wanting to change the world but having lost track, kinda, on what the world today really is.

I haven't looked at the setlists, and only have a vague idea of what they've played so far (thanks, Cori from a few posts back). I only have a GA for the second Montreal show. Should I bother trying to get a ticket for the first one? It would seem wrong, somehow, to know that U2 is in town and I'm not at the concert.

I mean you just never know. It might be that one crazy night where they rip out a Please or something. 99.99999% it’ll be the same or worst setlist, but you just never know with this band.

I haven't looked at the setlists, and only have a vague idea of what they've played so far (thanks, Cori from a few posts back). I only have a GA for the second Montreal show. Should I bother trying to get a ticket for the first one? It would seem wrong, somehow, to know that U2 is in town and I'm not at the concert.

On this tour? Seeing two shows seems like an absolute waste of time. At this point it just means you'll get Gloria aternated with Red Flag Day, and that's it.

How we can live in a world where Ax and Headache have not had their JT Melbourne fight, I don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom