Shuttlecock XVIII - SAVE US, REFU-JESUS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Kevin & Bean morning show on KROQ in Los Angeles is holding a contest for tickets to listen to SOE with the band on November 27th at a secret location.

Yeah something is definitely screwed up with what happened to some folks today.

yea this new system really is fucking people over, especially long time fans. some of the over-the-top reactions are amusing but i do feel bad for the people who were looking forward to this and now are getting screwed. i'm glad i don't really care about seeing them on this tour so that i don't have to put up with any of ticketmaster's bullshit this time around.

The Kevin & Bean morning show on KROQ in Los Angeles is holding a contest for tickets to listen to SOE with the band on November 27th at a secret location.

Normally I'd make a feeble attempt to win but do I really want to have to endure a couple of these subpar songs (and probably more) with the band watching, fake smile on my face?

Actually it would still be worth it just so I could whisper "Play songs from Pop", "Play Acrobat", and "Release the original Mercy" to Bono or Edge.

yea this new system really is fucking people over, especially long time fans. some of the over-the-top reactions are amusing but i do feel bad for the people who were looking forward to this and now are getting screwed. i'm glad i don't really care about seeing them on this tour so that i don't have to put up with any of ticketmaster's bullshit this time around.

Any specifics? Are codes not working, or people not getting their codes?

Any specifics? Are codes not working, or people not getting their codes?

Some people got the email last night with added info about the presale and 10 minutes later got another email saying "Sorry you shouldn't have gotten the previous email, you weren't selected to participate in the presale" or similar and then they didn't receive a text and a code this morning. They did offer to refund their subscription dues.

So apparently the presale is using a lottery system for the Verified fan thing like the general on sale will.
Its complete crap. They should just give everyone a code like in the past and if tickets run out (as they have in the past) then they run out.

people apparently received emails saying that they had been selected for the "experience" presale for longtime fan club members who renewed their memberships early, which was surprising in itself as people were under the impression that the "verified fan" lottery was for the general sale and not the fanclub presale. then a bunch of the people who got that e-mail got another one shortly after saying "never mind, you're actually not eligible for the presale *at all*, you lost out on the lottery. we'll refund your membership fee if you want, oopsie".

basically on top of being a total crapshoot that nobody was expecting, they fucked up and screwed over a lot of long time fans. people are freaking out in the other thread and saying things like they're done with U2 forever because of it (yea right).

Well there's one other thing to keep in mind, for the bigger markets they'll certainly be adding dates, so wouldn't they be able to send out more pre-sale codes for subsequent shows?

Aww hell naw.

I'll be asking for my membership fee back as well.

If you end up in that circumstance, before demanding a refund I'd wait to see if they add any other LA shows as you might then have an easy path to presale tix for added shows as anyone who goes today & tomorrow will not be eligible. If no luck then, then I'd demand a refund.

I know in DC there's a concert hold for the Monday following the scheduled date. I can't see the details on it because that's above my pay grade, but I'm assuming it's for a second U2 show if/when the first one sells out (or almost sells out).

It could also be a "just in case" hold, as Game 7 of the NBA Finals is scheduled for the day of the U2 show, and U2 would get bumped in the very unlikely scenario that the Wizards not only get to game 7 of the NBA Finals, but have home court advantage.

What are ticket prices anyway? TM has a range of $46 to $655. I was hoping for something in the low middle of that.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

LA was $118 including fees for GAs, Vegas was $97 including fees for GA

For years I thought sci-fi was pronounced sky-fy. And by 'for years' i mean until last year. I'm a slow learner.

I actually did see a bit of a doco this arvo. On Canada. Seems Americans think Canadians speak funny too. Even though the rest of the world knows there are only 2 or 3 differences (probably closer to 2 than 3) between Canadian/US accents.

I mean, I'd say we treat Canadian accents as more of a regional North American accent. Mild Canadian accents will not be strongly discernible from mild Northern US accents. Strong Canadian accents...

Better question, how do you feel about Irish vs. Scottish? "Regional" accents of the British isles that some people oddly can't tell the difference between. Sort of like how I oddly can't tell the difference between you and an Aussie (and I'm typically pretty good with accents, but this one eludes me).

I went ahead and got a GA for San Jose, once I found out they aren't doing credit-card only entry for GA, so I can unload it if it turns out they add another show that's closer to me.

... but they won't, so see you in San Jose!

What are ticket prices anyway? TM has a range of $46 to $655. I was hoping for something in the low middle of that.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I had the seat map up for Boston this morning and did some research if they add shows, before fees tix prices were:

$76.00 for GA (came to about $95.00 after fees)
Lowers and some middle balconies on sidelines: $325.00 (seats with full view of screen)
Side/rear lowers by main stage: $106.00
Lowers directly behind main stage: $41.00 (would have zero view of screen)
Lowers at opposite end (near B stage): $76.00

Didn't look too intensely at the balcony.

If I were to choose seats (if couldn't nab GA) for any added shows, I'd go with either the side of main stage at $106 plus fees (should have a reasonable screen view) or the opposite end lowers for $76.00 (if you get the corners, again you get some screen view and those have a great view of B stage)

Last edited:
So the presales didn't go well? I woke up and just saw a bunch of "yay I got what I wanted!" posts on Facebook, but now coming here it appears there was a dumpster fire.

Yeah, but your country will be on fire anyway, so ....

Australia isn't "my country". This burning continent is a home of convenience. New Zealand ought not to burn down!

I mean, I'd say we treat Canadian accents as more of a regional North American accent. Mild Canadian accents will not be strongly discernible from mild Northern US accents. Strong Canadian accents...

Better question, how do you feel about Irish vs. Scottish? "Regional" accents of the British isles that some people oddly can't tell the difference between. Sort of like how I oddly can't tell the difference between you and an Aussie (and I'm typically pretty good with accents, but this one eludes me).

I definitely struggle to pick Canadian accents from American ones. But who would struggle to pick Irish from Scottish accents? They're two of the world's most distinctive. I couldn't pick, say, somebody from Birmingham over somebody from Coventry (I had a neighbour who could pick British people right down to their locality just from their accent), but the broader differences are easy.

I do get surprised how often people from outside Australia and New Zealand struggle to differentiate our accents though. I suppose from my parents' generation the differences aren't that easy to pick for an unfamiliar ear, but the accents are diverging quite rapidly. The Aussie accent is getting broader while the Kiwi one is dropping vowels all over the place and, at least in some parts, acquiring an increasing Pasifika influence.

The key word is "six". Kiwis say "sucks", Aussies say "sex". (Have fun.)

Australia isn't "my country". This burning continent is a home of convenience. New Zealand ought not to burn down!

:reject: I knew that.

So the presales didn't go well? I woke up and just saw a bunch of "yay I got what I wanted!" posts on Facebook, but now coming here it appears there was a dumpster fire.

Many are concerned that there may have been a lottery to even GET a presale code. Like, some people who renewed either didn't get a code, or got an email and then an email that said "oops, you shouldn't have gotten an email, sorry, no code for you."

People who've gotten through to Ticketmaster or U2.com on the phone are being told that not everyone who's a member would get a code. If that's the case, that is some appalling bullshit and I'd be enraged.

However, from past experiences, it doesn't seem like the phone reps always have the right information. I poked over to the official forums and the mods there are sifting through all their PMs to help, and some people are then getting codes after all.

So I'm curious to see if this was just some shitty error, or an appalling bullshit ripoff of $40.

As it sounds like mods are able to clear it up for some, I'm leaning towards error. I hope that's the case, because that is truly fucked up if this was a feature, not a bug.

I definitely struggle to pick Canadian accents from American ones.

If there's a lot of "eh" and "aboot" tossed in, you're probably talking to a Canadian.

Ah, but not all Canadians talk like that, so I can see how it can be confusing. And some parts of the US that are near Canada have a weird accent that might make them sound a little Canadian as well.

I definitely struggle to pick Canadian accents from American ones. But who would struggle to pick Irish from Scottish accents? They're two of the world's most distinctive. I couldn't pick, say, somebody from Birmingham over somebody from Coventry (I had a neighbour who could pick British people right down to their locality just from their accent), but the broader differences are easy.

I do get surprised how often people from outside Australia and New Zealand struggle to differentiate our accents though. I suppose from my parents' generation the differences aren't that easy to pick for an unfamiliar ear, but the accents are diverging quite rapidly. The Aussie accent is getting broader while the Kiwi one is dropping vowels all over the place and, at least in some parts, acquiring an increasing Pasifika influence.

The key word is "six". Kiwis say "sucks", Aussies say "sex". (Have fun.)

It's really common for Americans to fail to differentiate Irish and Scottish accents, which is so strange to me. However, on the world scale, they definitely belong to the same group. But I'd venture to say a Manchester accent is closer to a Scottish accent than a republic one is. However, once you bring ulster into the mix, they share some cute little traits of all directions.

Re: Birmingham and Coventry... I mean you wouldn't be expected to tell the difference. They're both brummie variants. I live right next to both cities (for another 14 hours [emoji22] big move tomorrow). They're very proud of their small differences here. Something I don't think an Australian or American would even notice about their own people. Well, they might notice it, but they might not give it a name. I think that's just old world v new world.

But back to your original point... you might struggle a bit with Canadians in the sense that we struggle with kiwis to the broader continental accent.

I always just describe Australia as Texas if the U.K. had a Texas. (I've never told that to an Aussie, bracing for impact)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom