Shuttlecock XVIII - SAVE US, REFU-JESUS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know I pronounce "caramel" wrong, but I don't care.

However, say expresso to me and I will cut you.

I know I pronounce "caramel" wrong, but I don't care.

However, say expresso to me and I will cut you.

Oh boy would you love the UK. The land of expressos and literal pronunciation for every word since ever. Jalapeño is most certainly a jah-la-peen-o here. Sometimes even a jalaap-eno. Quesadillas are most certainly case-uh-dill-uhs. Yet, find yourself a nice lad or lass from the Essex, they'll be sure to reaffirm their knowledge of EYE-Beeth-uh to you (Ibiza). Adamantly... because you know... they totally pronounce everything else like the locals do, with the local accent [emoji14]

Oh, and don't get me started on the UK and the letter H. Did you know... about half of Brits say "hay-tch" when saying the letter H?!?!!!!

The haitch thing drives me crazy.

And when you bring it up and you're like "did you just say haytch?" They go off all yeah, it makes a *huh* sound."

Come to think of it, this reminds me of Ax's "no doc is a doctor, mate" thing.

Must have something to do with being owned by Lizzy.

Oh boy would you love the UK. The land of expressos and literal pronunciation for every word since ever. Jalapeño is most certainly a jah-la-peen-o here. Sometimes even a jalaap-eno. Quesadillas are most certainly case-uh-dill-uhs.

This reminds me of when I first moved to Melbourne. I was trying to find tortillas at my new local supermarket and, after wandering around for too long, asked a staff member where to find "tortiyyas". She just looked at me blankly. Her colleague also raised a quizzical eyebrow at my request. "You know, spelt tortiLLa?" "Oh! Aisle three."

I've never forgotten that the Mexican foodstuffs are on aisle three.

Oh, and don't get me started on the UK and the letter H. Did you know... about half of Brits say "hay-tch" when saying the letter H?!?!!!!

I'm with you both on this, absolutely. Growing up in New Zealand I had only ever heard "aitch". I encountered "haitch" when I moved to Queensland and it drives me nuts every time I hear it.

If I say "I watched a great doc last night," you would assume I meant documentary, not that I observed someone's surgery.

Context works.

Seriously, I'm still befuddled that you'd say "doc" rather than "doco". It sounds so utterly wrong.

It's the first syllable of the damned word! How does that not make sense? Why are you adding a second syllable, using a letter that's not even part of the word?!

For years I thought sci-fi was pronounced sky-fy. And by 'for years' i mean until last year. I'm a slow learner.

I actually did see a bit of a doco this arvo. On Canada. Seems Americans think Canadians speak funny too. Even though the rest of the world knows there are only 2 or 3 differences (probably closer to 2 than 3) between Canadian/US accents.

I'm with you both on this, absolutely. Growing up in New Zealand I had only ever heard "aitch". I encountered "haitch" when I moved to Queensland and it drives me nuts every time I hear it.

you guys all need to avoid the shit out of newfoundland if weird pronunciation drives you this crazy.

Back
Top Bottom