Shuttlecock XVIII - SAVE US, REFU-JESUS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
source.gif

Yeah, whut?

The "you don't know..." section that ends with the music cutting out and that harmonized "Ahh ahh ahhh are..." always sounded Beatlesque to me.

The Best Thing, lame as it is, is at least meant to be a direct love/pop song. I'm not really a fan but it at least seems to come close to what it's aiming for. And I'll admit it's been a successful earworm even on many of its detractors. Get Out comes off like some attempt at a grand statement that barely lands a punch save for the more aggressive "all right, all right" post-chorus(?) or whatever you'd call that part.

My opinion of The Best Thing is that I resent it being another song I'd be embarrassed to show my friends to try to prove U2 is good, but that it's also kind of a guilty pleasure on its own because it is genuinely catchy. I do catch myself singing that chorus from time to time.

I do hate to admit that I agree somewhat with this. It is catchy, and the video sort of accurately captures what it's trying to be about... it's more palatable when you think of it as a Sweetest Thing retread. I've got the chorus stuck in my head too. But, I still think it's a pretty shit song.

I'm so long past the point of trying to convince friends that U2 are good, that I actively play them stuff like Best Thing and pretend it's Jesus turning water into wine.

Fuck outta here, u seppo dog

Get Out sounds like it was written to please shareholders. Excruciatingly boring and conservative, exemplified by Edge's solo, which actively goes out of its way not to offend anyone.

:(

Pfan, the line about Bono's recent lyrics being parenting advice is accurate and hilarious.

Get Out is far from a great song, but I rather like it, so that's cool.

U2 has been my Favorite Band for decades, and based simply on longevity, they'll always be at the top of the list.

But after two Elbow shows this past weekend, I fell into a musical rabbit hole the past day or so, and realized Elbow is currently making me feel things U2's music hasn't made me feel in a long time.

And that's okay. I won't rehash my usual spiel about how I feel about U2 these days (blah blah all just gravy now blah blah). And I'm still looking forward to the new album. But it did give me a smidgen of pause.

I don't know why I would even be trying to persuade my friends to like U2, let alone current U2. It's not as if they're some unknown band who need fans. If you like music at all you know U2. I'd rather put my mates onto bands that could use the attention.

Also, who the hell does not say "doco"? Fuck outta here laz with your "doc", that's a doctor.

Pretty sure we had this doco discussion awhile ago, and that's how we ended up with the Donnie Donko photo of cobbler in the donkey onesie.

Wait, you guys actually call a documentary a doco?

Of course we do. I didn't think this was just an Australianism either. I mean, it's also a Kiwi thing and Kiwi slang doesn't usually follow Australian (e.g. the Salvation Army in Australia are the Salvos, and in New Zealand they're the Sally Army). I thought Brits and Yanks used it too but evidently I'm wrong, at least on the Yank front.

Why would you say doco. There's not a second fucking O in the word.

Because it sounds more natural than "docu"? Servo, arvo, seppo...

there are a dozen or so aussies in my office and the first time i heard one of them use "doco" for the word "document" i was convinced that "doco" is superior to "doc" in every way.

Of course we do. I didn't think this was just an Australianism either. I mean, it's also a Kiwi thing and Kiwi slang doesn't usually follow Australian (e.g. the Salvation Army in Australia are the Salvos, and in New Zealand they're the Sally Army). I thought Brits and Yanks used it too but evidently I'm wrong, at least on the Yank front.

Because it sounds more natural than "docu"? Servo, arvo, seppo...

Definitely won't hear any Brits calling it a doco. You Aussies seem to take the former vowel and tack it on the end. Dunno. But in Britain they're pretty exclusive to the -ie or -y sound when they're being cute with their short words. Maccies, brekkie, etc. I know you guys definitely do the -ie/-y thing as well, but I'd say it's far less common in Britain. Not because it's uncommon, but because Aussies seemed to be really intense about shortening every word they can.

Well, there's a bazillion British accents tbh, so I speak for the ones I've encountered on a regular basis. Which is everything Midlands and south, plus some rather Northern folk.

Every day on this forum I realize that that "I'd have called em chazzwazzers" joke on the Simpsons might be the truest joke that show ever made

Back
Top Bottom