Shuttlecock XVIII - SAVE US, REFU-JESUS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You don't generally need to use accents to distinguish kiwis from aussies. The kiwis will be the calm, kind, clever looking ones. The aussies will be loud, drunk and sweaty.

You don't generally need to use accents to distinguish kiwis from aussies. The kiwis will be the calm, kind, clever looking ones. The aussies will be loud, drunk and sweaty.

As with Canadians. As with Scots. Yet, why is it that I have such negative relationships with Canadians, Scots, and Kiwis? And generally positive ones with the loud drunk sweaty obnoxious siblings? (Genuinely curious on this) (and no im not loud drunk sweaty and obnoxious myself)

I had the seat map up for Boston this morning and did some research if they add shows, before fees tix prices were:

$76.00 for GA (came to about $95.00 after fees)
Lowers and some middle balconies on sidelines: $325.00 (seats with full view of screen)
Side/rear lowers by main stage: $106.00
Lowers directly behind main stage: $41.00 (would have zero view of screen)
Lowers at opposite end (near B stage): $76.00

Didn't look too intensely at the balcony.

If I were to choose seats (if couldn't nab GA) for any added shows, I'd go with either the side of main stage at $106 plus fees (should have a reasonable screen view) or the opposite end lowers for $76.00 (if you get the corners, again you get some screen view and those have a great view of B stage)

How is there a $20 difference between Boston and Los Angeles?

canadians from vancouver and saskatoon and yellowknife and toronto and quebec and newfoundland all sound *very* different from each other, dammit :angry:

As with Canadians. As with Scots. Yet, why is it that I have such negative relationships with Canadians, Scots, and Kiwis? And generally positive ones with the loud drunk sweaty obnoxious siblings? (Genuinely curious on this) (and no im not loud drunk sweaty and obnoxious myself)

You study space and Mars and whatnot. Looking for uncultured alien life is part of your identity. I suspect the answer is tied up in there somewhere.

canadians from vancouver and saskatoon and yellowknife and toronto and quebec and newfoundland all sound *very* different from each other, dammit :angry:

Here comes the angry marginalized Canadian :p

Yes and I can count at least five strictly unique American accents. Globally, Canada has one accent. All about scope, here. But globally, Americans have one accent. Well, maybe we can agree to disclude your French Canadians if you agree to disclude our Texans.

How is there a $20 difference between Boston and Los Angeles?

To add,

Just looked at the LA map, tix prices are $5.00 more across the board than Boston(probably a higher venue fee for the Forum), so a GA face I assume is $81 pre-fees, should total to the low 100's after TM fees, not sure how nbelcik got $118, maybe there's a delivery charge tacked on.

Here comes the angry marginalized Canadian :p

Yes and I can count at least five strictly unique American accents. Globally, Canada has one accent. All about scope, here. But globally, Americans have one accent. Well, maybe we can agree to disclude your French Canadians if you agree to disclude our Texans.

there is not a chance in hell anyone on earth could hear someone from vancouver island and someone from newfoundland speaking to each other and think that's the same accent.

Folks, I'm about to call the U2.com hotline and ask to cancel/refund my membership. I realized that even if I do get a pre-sale code, if you include the membership fee I paid, 2 GA tickets will cost me $286. That's just ludicrous. I don't know how big of an increase this is from the 2015 tour, but I'm over it. My practice of getting extra tickets to take friends is cost prohibitive, I don't want to see 2 shows by myself, and I'm not paying $168 and only getting 1 ticket for 1 show.

It kills me to be sitting out the first tour since ZooTV, but I guess there was always going to be a breaking point.

I don't see them giving you a refund because of the ticket prices, but I understand the reasoning to give the tour a pass because of it.

All the people who renewed and weren't given a code, however, should call and raise holy hell about it.

I don't know about the 2015 tour, but for JT30, I got two GAs for $180, $90 a pop after fees, and that was from the general sale. I've never been a U2.com member and have never bothered with presale.

B&C Crew:

Sorry to interrupt all the ticket talk/accent talk, but...

You may remember that around a year ago I ran a Best Non-Album Track survivor. I've been thinking about doing another one, and it seems like a good time right now, given the holidays coming up and the new album traffic around here.

What I have in mind is a Best Live Track survivor. AKA the white whale of Shuttlecock survivors, that's been discussed often over the years but never done.

I have it all planned out, format and everything. Eligibility would be limited to officially released stuff(meaning full releases like UABRS, R&H, Sydney, etc, non-standalone releases like Paris 87, Vertigo Milan, etc, and live tracks that appeared as b-sides on singles), with selected TV performances and bootlegs to fill in the gaps for songs that never appeared on an official release.

If I elect to go forward with this, there will of course be a much more detailed intro+instructions, but for now, I just want to gauge interest among you all. I haven't even mentioned this in EYKIW yet, because I honestly don't really want to do this if my B&C peeps aren't on board.

I know some have had reservations about this in the past, i.e. will the results really be different enough from a regular U2 studio survivor? Who knows, but I think they might be. Either way, it'd be fun to find out.

What say you?

I don't see them giving you a refund because of the ticket prices, but I understand the reasoning to give the tour a pass because of it.

All the people who renewed and weren't given a code, however, should call and raise holy hell about it.

Well I haven't received an email yet so it's not looking good.

I don't know about the 2015 tour, but for JT30, I got two GAs for $180, $90 a pop after fees, and that was from the general sale. I've never been a U2.com member and have never bothered with presale.

Yeah, if I can refund my membership I may try to do that as a last ditch effort.

there is not a chance in hell anyone on earth could hear someone from vancouver island and someone from newfoundland speaking to each other and think that's the same accent.

Yeah but people are still going to say "oh are you Canadian? American?" if they don't know.

Bono Bono rabble rabble the edge - sorry I have no say in presale. Never have subscribed.

B&C Crew:

Sorry to interrupt all the ticket talk/accent talk, but...

You may remember that around a year ago I ran a Best Non-Album Track survivor. I've been thinking about doing another one, and it seems like a good time right now, given the holidays coming up and the new album traffic around here.

What I have in mind is a Best Live Track survivor. AKA the white whale of Shuttlecock survivors, that's been discussed often over the years but never done.

I have it all planned out, format and everything. Eligibility would be limited to officially released stuff(meaning full releases like UABRS, R&H, Sydney, etc, non-standalone releases like Paris 87, Vertigo Milan, etc, and live tracks that appeared as b-sides on singles), with selected TV performances and bootlegs to fill in the gaps for songs that never appeared on an official release.

If I elect to go forward with this, there will of course be a much more detailed intro+instructions, but for now, I just want to gauge interest among you all. I haven't even mentioned this in EYKIW yet, because I honestly don't really want to do this if my B&C peeps aren't on board.

I know some have had reservations about this in the past, i.e. will the results really be different enough from a regular U2 studio survivor? Who knows, but I think they might be. Either way, it'd be fun to find out.

What say you?

I'm not really a B&C person (how many years until you're a local?) but I'm on board.
Axver/namk did you guys ever get any further with the best album openers/closers survivors?

namkcuR, been meaning to reply to you. I'm very indecisive about the best way to do such a survivor.

I always just describe Australia as Texas if the U.K. had a Texas. (I've never told that to an Aussie, bracing for impact)

Nah that's just Queensland, you often see it called Australia's Texas.

Many are concerned that there may have been a lottery to even GET a presale code. Like, some people who renewed either didn't get a code, or got an email and then an email that said "oops, you shouldn't have gotten an email, sorry, no code for you."

People who've gotten through to Ticketmaster or U2.com on the phone are being told that not everyone who's a member would get a code. If that's the case, that is some appalling bullshit and I'd be enraged.

However, from past experiences, it doesn't seem like the phone reps always have the right information. I poked over to the official forums and the mods there are sifting through all their PMs to help, and some people are then getting codes after all.

So I'm curious to see if this was just some shitty error, or an appalling bullshit ripoff of $40.

As it sounds like mods are able to clear it up for some, I'm leaning towards error. I hope that's the case, because that is truly fucked up if this was a feature, not a bug.

Yeah that's fucked up if you're paying $40 to possibly maybe if you're lucky get a presale code. That's not how a fanclub is meant to work!

Just catching up, are these MSG prices for real? The only tickets that have a view of the screen cost hundreds of dollars? Literally, everything I'm seeing along the 200 sections facing the screen are list at $330! That's absurd and insane. The last two tours didn't seem anywhere near this cost.

Now I don't even know if I'll get a download code, so I may have wasted my $40? If true, this is bullshit. If I get a presale code, I'll try for GA but that's all I'm willing to pay. I'm not going to drop more than $100 for a compromised view.

I may be sitting out this tour too. No Phoenix dates, and the combo of paying for another goddamn membership (when my last one hasn't expired) plus ticket prices and travel...I'm just not up for nonsense right now. I also often buy tickets for friends/family, and it's not feeling worth the hassle.

Maybe I'll give Vegas a try in the general sale, but that's all I've got the energy for.

I think I also have ticket-buying fatigue:

--A sick friend had to drive an hour across Phoenix to get us into the JT show because he wasn't allowed to transfer the credit card-only tickets he had bought for our group

--Reasonably priced tix for The Killers were gone two minutes after going on sale

--I tried getting tickets to see Lana Del Rey. GAs were over $100 (not including fees), and when I found some nosebleed tickets for around $75, the screen froze every time I added them to my cart

Its just always a fresh hell when dealing with this stuff.

All of this that I’m seeing is why I almost never see bigger acts anymore. If I can’t buy the tickets fairly easily, I probably won’t bother.

Cannot imagine what the Aussie prices are going to be like if you are already paying Aussie prices in the US. I guess it'll be at least triple to make up for the fact they didn't tour here the past two times.

Just watched the live performance of "Get Out Of Your Own Way" from the MTV EMAS. I definitely don't hate the song but, man, that second verse is so awkward. And didn't it look like Bono even flubbed the second verse in the performance? Maybe because it's such a forced and jumbled mish mash of words.

That being said I thought Bono looked good in that long black coat.

Cannot imagine what the Aussie prices are going to be like if you are already paying Aussie prices in the US. I guess it'll be at least triple to make up for the fact they didn't tour here the past two times.

Yeah I'm having a quiet chuckle at all these complaints about prices that are really quite reasonable from our standpoint.

Yeah I'm having a quiet chuckle at all these complaints about prices that are really quite reasonable from our standpoint.

Even accounting for exchange? I know everything in Australia is expensive... but obviously goods aren't 1 for 1. What's a GA probably go for in Oz?

Right now, The War on Drugs are $80 and Slowdive $75. In theatres. Midnight Oil's arena show in Wollongong cost $145 for floor seats (nosebleeds were $120 or so?), and I think my GA for Midnight Oil at a large amphitheatre in Melbourne was about $100.

I'll be impressed if U2 GA tickets next time are less than $130.

To add,

Just looked at the LA map, tix prices are $5.00 more across the board than Boston(probably a higher venue fee for the Forum), so a GA face I assume is $81 pre-fees, should total to the low 100's after TM fees, not sure how nbelcik got $118, maybe there's a delivery charge tacked on.

It was $81 for the ticket, then a $19.30 service charge, then $18.50 to deliver my ticket

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom