Shuttlecock XIV: Bono the Vampire Slayer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So this was basically yesterday's setlist:

1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
3. New Year's Day
4. MLK
5. Pride

6-16. The Joshua Tree

ENCORE
17. Beautiful Day
18. Ultraviolet
19. One
20. Miss Sarajevo

It's short, and obviously they practiced the new song on the side. I'd have to imagine their plan is to add a couple warhorses on either end of that set. I Will Follow early in the show, Vertigo in the encore, the new song probably in the encore as well. But if that's the framework, that's not a bad start.

There's no way they're only playing 3 post-2000 songs.

If you look at that setlist, it appears that they're doing it chronologically, at least in terms of their respective eras.

The first part is Boy through Unforgettable Fire, then Joshua Tree, and in the encore it's Achtung through to 2017 with the new song.

If that's what they're doing then I predict a song like Desire after MOTD and, hopefully, as the tour evolves they'll swap out a song in the encore to include a track from POP (since it's the 20th anniversary and apparently they celebrate album anniversaries now).

There's definitely stuff to slot in there. Nobody should assume it's a complete setlist. In the past the band have played large chunks of sets in the lead-up to the launch, but only done the entire draft set with a couple of days left. I wouldn't be expecting a full set for at least another five or six days. Honestly I'm surprised they ran through such a long show today.

I will be beyond thrilled if they skip I Will Follow this tour, but am not holding my breath.

So this was basically yesterday's setlist:

1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. Sunday Bloody Sunday
3. New Year's Day
4. MLK
5. Pride

6-16. The Joshua Tree

ENCORE
17. Beautiful Day
18. Ultraviolet
19. One
20. Miss Sarajevo

It's short, and obviously they practiced the new song on the side. I'd have to imagine their plan is to add a couple warhorses on either end of that set. I Will Follow early in the show, Vertigo in the encore, the new song probably in the encore as well. But if that's the framework, that's not a bad start.

Tonight is the Philly set rehearsal...

1. Magnificent
2. Crazy Tonight
3. Vertigo
4. Streets
5. Still Haven't Found
6. WOWY
7. BTBS
Bono addresses crowd..."we're not playing the rest of Joshua Tree tonight, sorry Philadelphia but we had to Fly in late last night"
8. Ordinary Love
9. Song For Someone
10. Stuck in a Moment
11. EBW Piano version
12. Angel of Harlem

Encore Break

13. Beautiful Day
14. Elevation
15. Pride
16. Magnificent x 2

"Goodnight Philadelphia, sorry for the short set but we're tired and have to Fly to Washington DC so we can have lunch with President Trump tomorrow"

:love:

If you look at that setlist, it appears that they're doing it chronologically, at least in terms of their respective eras.

The first part is Boy through Unforgettable Fire, then Joshua Tree, and in the encore it's Achtung through to 2017 with the new song.

If that's what they're doing then I predict a song like Desire after MOTD and, hopefully, as the tour evolves they'll swap out a song in the encore to include a track from POP (since it's the 20th anniversary and apparently they celebrate album anniversaries now).

You're a lot more optimistic about Pop getting acknowledged than I am.

I will be beyond thrilled if they skip I Will Follow this tour, but am not holding my breath.

Same.

There's no way they're only playing 3 post-2000 songs.

Um, there's only one in that setlist. :lol:

I guess you're making the assumption that Vertigo and that new track will be in there as well which wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:

Nah, it's always fun, and I like it having the record of being the only song played on every U2 tour since 1980. I'd rather they keep playing it than Pride, the only U2 song vaguely within striking distance of IWF for title of most-played U2 song live.

If IWF is skipped and NYD played, NYD will become the oldest song to show up on every tour since its debut. (A close-run thing, as NYD only eked out three performances on IE!)

U2 joke on SNL Weekend Update equating the GOP health care bill with Apple service agreement and labelling a U2 album downloaded on your phone as a pre-existing condition.

One thing's for sure: Songs of Innocence has staying power, though maybe not for the reasons U2 had hoped.

"Maybe not"?

Literally no one outside of us remembers a thing about that album. But the meme, which was their own incredible stupidity's doing, lives on

Legit shed a tear at WE'LL BUILD A BRIDGE ACROSS THE SEA AND LAND followed by that amazing chord change. Don't know how I'll cope with this in person but I'm looking forward to trying.

I feel like a ton of us will all be at LA1 and this has me very excited. I almost backed out on the gig when I saw it was on graduation night, but I'd much rather spend the night seeing U2 than walk out for the second time in three years.

Last edited:
I'm not clicking on any more spoilers.

And yeah, LA 1 should be great, I'm just hoping that LA 2 isn't where some rare gem gets played instead. My usual practice was to get two tickets for two consecutive nights to cover all the bases, but it didn't work out so well for I&E (wasn't there for the nights that California, Bad, The Troubles, or Volcano were played :angry:), and I didn't feel like seeing JT played in full two nights in a row, so I'm just going to one show with three friends. Or two friends and Cobbler if you like.

Just saw that Anu posted in The Other Place, and I couldn't remember his/her legendary post that had many of us trolling afterwards. It was trashing some band for some bullshit reason, maybe Radiohead?

Someone refresh my memory.

I think it had to do with Arcade Fire. He said that they're only popular on Interference because we pretend to like them.

But now I'm doubting my memory because he's praised Arcade Fire frequently in the past. I swear that was the band though, which was part of what made that outburst so strange.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom