Shuttlecock XI: Yes Virginia, You Did Save Bono's Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been reading a lot about Sarajevo recently, and it's just emotionally crushing. To write such a beautiful song about something so bleak is a real work of art.

It's a close song to me for many reasons, so it always makes me think and reminisce. It is pretty cool that the city got such a beautiful song.

Ito Okashi has some nice atmospherics, but it's pretty boring.

It's a beautiful moment when One Minute Warning "opens up". I can hear Edge and Eno, but I'm not sure where's Bono in those vocals.

The pitch-shifted and chopped-up dialogue on OMW is utterly terrifying.

I also love how the song goes completely off the rails and then abruptly hops right back on before the vocals begin in earnest.

Nine songs in and this album is absolute mastery of sequencing and atmospherics. One Minute Warning has to be one of the darkest songs in U2's catalogue.

Time for an Edge vocal. A really dreary Edge vocal that still somehow works.

A few of things I like about this song:

-The slowly marching, pitch-shifted beat
-When the vocals get HIGH at the chaaaaains part of the track; that is a haunting harmony
-That bluesy guitar line at the end of the song

The ending to One Minute Warning is amazing. There's some really good guitar playing around Eno's vocals, too.

A lonesome soul
In an old black coat
A lonesome road
What a way to go

Chasing down
The strings to hold
In an old black coat
A lonesome soul

Haunting stuff.

I'd never looked these up. :up:

I'm just waking up and there's this great discussion of Passengers. Could it be that it's so good because Lanois wasn't there?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Pink Floyd wrote their best album because Syd Barrett wasn't there. So, I guess U2 wrote their best album because Daniel Lanois wasn't there.

Passengers is a Daniel Lanois album.

I like Corpse. It's my least favourite of the songs I like on the record, but it's perfectly serviceable. Again, mood and atmosphere adds so much to a song.

Corpse has this coarse sandpaper-like sound, never been able to get into it

I like Corpse a LOT. It's very restrained, which acts in contrast to the rest of the album. The marching and synths are really frightening - reminds me of old Soviet films.

Yep I'm with you here, and it's great for Edge to get a run on lead.

I know some of you don't like Van Diemen's Land but I always like it when Edge gets proper time at the mic. Doesn't happen enough.

I like the idea of Corpse more than the Execution. Think it would be a great interlude but at three-and-a-half minutes it's too long.

I wonder if Edge remembers it? Would love to know. Someone should ask him next time they tell him to play Acrobat.

I'm just waking up and there's this great discussion of Passengers. Could it be that it's so good because Lanois wasn't there?

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

You don't like Lanois?

Elvis-Presley.jpg

Back
Top Bottom