Shuttlecock VIII: Did We Just Die?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He was talking about the Red Rocks show 32 years ago for UABRS.

Tonight was Generic Soulless Arena #2,438.

Oh, I just assumed they were making their way east or something and shit setlist was there based off your post which I must have misread. I don't know what the fuck I'm talking about.

Ax, you said the other day you were at a Boston Vertigo show, right? Speaking of things I may have misread...

My issue with putting Hawkmoon first (and I think it's a fantastic song), is that it's a little dark and grandiose compared to the rest of the album. For the most part, this is a looser, less atmospheric collection of recordings compared to JT, and I feel like the opening should reflect that.

Which is why I think Desire works best in the #1 slot.

:up:

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

There was a contest on the radio today where you needed to call in with the answer to a trivia question.

The question was, what musician is Chad Kroger married to?

I started to call in with the answer until I heard that the prize was tickets to a Nickelback show. I put the phone back down.

Not even free.

Yep, I went to the three Boston shows in May 2005.

It's too bad I wasn't in your nosebleed section for the 1 I went to, the people where I was were really lame. Aside from The Electric Co, looking at the setlist I don't even remember half the good songs being played that they apparently did. They did The Fly and I have no memory of it whatsoever, and I loved that song at the time. I remember being bored as fuck for pretty much the whole show, blaming Springsteen for spoiling me (as I'd gone to see him do a kickass solo devils & dust tour show a week earlier) by playing such a ridiculous setlist for about an hour longer than U2. I still haven't forgiven Bono for rambling on about Africa over the intro to streets, effectively ruining what I'd expected would be an impossible song to ruin.

Anyway, I've bitched about how disappointed I was in that show numerous times before, I just thought it was interesting reading your post the other day about how great RTSS was, at a show I was fucking at, and it wasn't even memorable to me. And that song is one of the few U2 songs I still consider to be great.

Is it possible that U2 just dont want to be challenged anymore? I get the impression theyre satisfied being on autopilot, and that it's always Friday afternoon an hour before hometime with these guys.

Do they even need the money? It would be really interesting to know what their true ambitions are these days.

On a side note, it's pretty funny how my two favourite songs on their latest album (by a million miles) dont even get played, at least not with any regularity.

Regardless of setlist, what is truly unforgivable is Bono's never ending chatter and US asskissing. It's nauseating to the extreme and today it affected/ruined perhaps their greatest live song of all time. Bono needs to be put to pasture, perhaps Edge can just fill in for him.

... Sorry for another post but a concert of just Edge singing would be the greatest thing theyve done in years. Id love to hear that.

Stay on it you guys. Those Southern Hemispherians will have another drunken listening party and Cobbler will start a new thread.

Time to get drinking, lads!

It's too bad I wasn't in your nosebleed section for the 1 I went to, the people where I was were really lame. Aside from The Electric Co, looking at the setlist I don't even remember half the good songs being played that they apparently did. They did The Fly and I have no memory of it whatsoever, and I loved that song at the time. I remember being bored as fuck for pretty much the whole show, blaming Springsteen for spoiling me (as I'd gone to see him do a kickass solo devils & dust tour show a week earlier) by playing such a ridiculous setlist for about an hour longer than U2. I still haven't forgiven Bono for rambling on about Africa over the intro to streets, effectively ruining what I'd expected would be an impossible song to ruin.

Anyway, I've bitched about how disappointed I was in that show numerous times before, I just thought it was interesting reading your post the other day about how great RTSS was, at a show I was fucking at, and it wasn't even memorable to me. And that song is one of the few U2 songs I still consider to be great.

Yeah I think I recall you posting in the past about your disappointment with the show. For me night one was definitely the weakest of the three shows - I can't pick which I prefer out of nights two and three, they were both amazing. But I still enjoyed the gig a whole lot, especially that RTSS moment. I couldn't believe my whole nosebleed section stood the whole night, but I think that was partly because it was chock-full of U2.com members who got screwed in the presale shambles. Of course, I was a hyper nutty fan then and probably would've enjoyed almost anything, but it was definitely a better show than most of what I saw when they finally came down here in 2006, or any of those bloody 360 shows. (Still grumpy the only decent 360 setlists were in 2011 after my run was over and I was no longer obsessed enough to fly to North America again).

I remember that whole trip really well. I've no particularly strong plans to return to the States, but if I ever do, I need to spend more time in Boston. Had a great week there.

... Sorry for another post but a concert of just Edge singing would be the greatest thing theyve done in years. Id love to hear that.

I would enjoy that a whole lot.

Seriously, with Bono's voice obviously under strain, I'm surprised they don't do a mid-show set where Edge sings a few songs and Bono goes off stage to soothe his throat with $100 bottles of wanker water.

I like to comfort myself that his 'America is an idea' rap comes with the implication that it's an idea which is failing badly in the execution. But I further suspect that he should probably ease up on it when he's not playing in America.

Anyhow, it's 2015 now. This 'we're all Americans now' stuff is getting rather threadbare.

Time to get drinking, lads!

Yeah I think I recall you posting in the past about your disappointment with the show. For me night one was definitely the weakest of the three shows - I can't pick which I prefer out of nights two and three, they were both amazing. But I still enjoyed the gig a whole lot, especially that RTSS moment. I couldn't believe my whole nosebleed section stood the whole night, but I think that was partly because it was chock-full of U2.com members who got screwed in the presale shambles. Of course, I was a hyper nutty fan then and probably would've enjoyed almost anything, but it was definitely a better show than most of what I saw when they finally came down here in 2006, or any of those bloody 360 shows. (Still grumpy the only decent 360 setlists were in 2011 after my run was over and I was no longer obsessed enough to fly to North America again).

I remember that whole trip really well. I've no particularly strong plans to return to the States, but if I ever do, I need to spend more time in Boston. Had a great week there.

It probably didn't help that I'd really gotten over being a rabid fan by then, thanks to how terrible htdaab was. I don't know why just that one album would have been all it took, there have been plenty other bands I've given more of a fair shake on and more leeway regarding bad albums. U2 must not have quite built up that capital nsw was talking about with me. And I was pretty resentful of the nosebleed ticket prices on top of the U2.com sub I'd bought to try to increase my chances at good tickets.

Not sure how I wasn't aware of it at the time and didn't arrange to meet you to say hello. (Attended 2 of those shows)

I later discovered a couple of other Interferencers saw me, though I didn't see them. Where were you at those shows? Aside from the nosebleed adventures on night 1, for nights 2 and 3 I won the GA lottery and found myself right in front of Edge both times.

On the second night I went with a friend and we had signs for One Tree Hill and 11 O'clock Tick Tock. Edge just smiled and shook his head. :(

Hot take:

I don't think Edge's singing voice is all that great. I mean, he's great for backing vocals. Wouldn't want to hear him sing more than parts of a song (Miracle Drug, Stuck, etc). Van Dieman's Land? Meh. Too nasal.

.... I'll show myself out.

Hot take:

I don't think Edge's singing voice is all that great. I mean, he's great for backing vocals. Wouldn't want to hear him sing more than parts of a song (Miracle Drug, Stuck, etc). Van Dieman's Land? Meh. Too nasal.

.... I'll show myself out.

I'm with you on this. The only time I actually enjoyed Edge singing was Sunday Bloody Sunday on Popmart.

I later discovered a couple of other Interferencers saw me, though I didn't see them. Where were you at those shows? Aside from the nosebleed adventures on night 1, for nights 2 and 3 I won the GA lottery and found myself right in front of Edge both times.

On the second night I went with a friend and we had signs for One Tree Hill and 11 O'clock Tick Tock. Edge just smiled and shook his head. :(

I was on the side stage loges both nights, Loge 20 for night 1 and Loge 15 for night 3. Didn't get GA until one of the October shows thanks to the whole U2.com fiasco. So targeted those sections as they were half the price of the sections directly next to them. (With essentially equal view especially if you get seats close to the inner aisles which I had)
U2TicketsBoston.JPG

And my axe. His voice is pleasant enough but, yeah, no need for him to sing more than one song, maybe, per night. I like Bono's voice, go figure.

I'd love if he got a small section like Keef does. Edge's voice is nice and sweet, but it's by no means strong, just like Richards. If you had a whole show of either singing, It'd be a disaster, but like this it's a small nice little segment and it remains special as a result. Nicely mirroring the feel of when Edge does sing on an album.

One of my favorite parts of night 3 was Edge singing on Stuck. It was brilliant, and I'm glad I was able to hear it.

Maybe after I get finished drinking wine and listening to Achtung Baby and Zooropa back to back. It's one of those "Sunday's"

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom