Shuttlecock VIII: Did We Just Die?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to say this, but Hawkmoon is up there with Acrobat for their most inexplicably worshiped songs. Heartland though is fantastic.
I agree with the first part. Acrobat is fantastic though.

Another one I don't understand is One Tree Hill. The third verse sounds awkward and it feels a bit slight. The live version is already miles better with the solo but it's still not a top tier U2 song for me.

I'm tempted to rename this thread "Aussiecock/Shuttlekiwi listening party"

No need for the Shuttlekiwi bit - like all great things from New Zealand (lamingtons, pavlova, the Finn brothers) and some not so great things (Russell Crowe), we have claimed Axver for our own.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

An album with Hawkmoon, Heartland, and All I Want Is You is nowhere near their worst album.

This. Just because it's a jumble of songs doesn't mean the ingredients aren't there. More than can be said of their newer albums. I'd rather listen to Boy on shuffle than HTDAAB.

This. Though honestly, Heartland is a continuation of the JT sound and doesn't break any new ground. And IMO it's inferior to every track on that previous album.

Not sure why Angel Of Harlem and Desire are left off that list of standouts. Great singles that really signaled a new direction, or rather, detour.

Angel of Harlem is a truly excellent song that gets underrated because it's so rare for them to give it a proper live arrangement.

If they had just released a live album of the Joshua tree tour, including the R&H film songs, and a normal album with the originals plus b sides it would have been much better

This. Though honestly, Heartland is a continuation of the JT sound and doesn't break any new ground. And IMO it's inferior to every track on that previous album.

Not sure why Angel Of Harlem and Desire are left off that list of standouts. Great singles that really signaled a new direction, or rather, detour.

That was just my Top 3. I wholeheartedly agree about Angel Of Harlem and Desire.

If they had just released a live album of the Joshua tree tour, including the R&H film songs, and a normal album with the originals plus b sides it would have been much better

I just put them together myself. A deluxe R&H set up that way would be great though.

Studio R&H could be like this:

1. Hawkmoon
2. Van Deimen's Land
3. Desire
4. Hallelujah Here She Comes
5. Love Rescue Me
6. Angel Of Harlem
7. When Love Comes To Town
8. Heartland
9. God Part II
10. A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
11. All I Want Is You

Out of that, the only thing I have to endure is Love Rescue Me.

I hate to say this, but Hawkmoon is up there with Acrobat for their most inexplicably worshiped songs. Heartland though is fantastic.

I used to be supremely 'meh' about Hawkmoon, but then one day some years ago I started to love it.

Heartland, though ... fuck me it's great.

"She feels like water in my hand." what a gorgeous, sexy line.

I won't have any shitting on Rattle & Hum. Sure it's kind of a mess but it's a mess from a band at the height of their powers. Its worst song shits on most of their latterday work (I'll make a partial exception for When Love Comes to Town, which probably doesn't shit that much on all their latterday work).

The drums on Hawkmoon kill it for me (in a good way). And sure, yeah, it's a 'list' song, but if you listen, the similes get darker and more obsessive the longer it goes on and continues to build. And that climax with the gospel chants, well, it won't work if you're allergic to any mention of gospel... but for me, it's a song in pure heat.

It is a bi-polar record. I feel like they should be selling yellow ribbons for it. Would be fixed with some simple scalpel work. Why was live SHF included, when WOWY, RTDS, Exit or SBS could have been included instead

^I probably lean to the view posited earlier, on the last page or wherever, that the best move probably would have been an honest to god double album comprising live album and 'new songs'.

This is exactly how I feel.

As an album, it's my least favorite, but it could be something great.

even if you don't read through it just have a listen to A Man and a Woman. We were all blown away, it's a really great song.

Barely. I read the whole goddam thing this morning.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Did you enjoy it? I was having a great time.

I would have joined the party by the way, if it wasn't for my exams. So next time you should do it when I've just finished one.

:up:

They think snippeting their own song constitutes playing it. Bono said something during the last leg of 360 that they were playing songs from every album, somehow implying that singing a little bit of Discotheque at the end of Crazy Tonight meant they played it?

ughhhh.

I don't love it as much as others.

This was a joke right - as in, you know God Pt 1, and this is an in-joke?

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f288/my-newest-album-rattle-and-hum-144402-2.html

I just put them together myself. A deluxe R&H set up that way would be great though.

Studio R&H could be like this:

1. Hawkmoon
2. Van Deimen's Land
3. Desire
4. Hallelujah Here She Comes
5. Love Rescue Me
6. Angel Of Harlem
7. When Love Comes To Town
8. Heartland
9. God Part II
10. A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel
11. All I Want Is You

Out of that, the only thing I have to endure is Love Rescue Me.

My issue with putting Hawkmoon first (and I think it's a fantastic song), is that it's a little dark and grandiose compared to the rest of the album. For the most part, this is a looser, less atmospheric collection of recordings compared to JT, and I feel like the opening should reflect that.

Which is why I think Desire works best in the #1 slot.

Silver and Gold must be the oddest standout of late eighties U2. The album (live) version gets its share of flak for Bono's monologue, the studio version was (I believe) a one-off b-side or something for, well, Little Stevie's project I guess. The topicality of it means it could never ever be played after the fall of apartheid in South Africa. It probably helped shape that anomalous 80s perception of U2 as a heavily political band (which, when you look at their career as a whole, is far from the case, for better or for worse).

But what a monster of a song.

No need for the Shuttlekiwi bit - like all great things from New Zealand (lamingtons, pavlova, the Finn brothers) and some not so great things (Russell Crowe), we have claimed Axver for our own.

Goddamnit. :angry:

Just read the entire Aussie (and former Kiwi now officially assimilated Aussie) listening party. Why? Who knows, thought there might be something worthwhile in there
the youtube clip of live Hawkmoon was worth wading through the word "cunt" 2,869 times

Well, looks like Shuttlecock is back in their lame pattern.

Two Rattle & Hum tracks again on the mini-stage set.

Apparently they think these songs need to come in pairs.

What a dud fucking setlist. Especially the big Red Rocks speech at the end that led to... I Still Haven't Found. Quintessential fucking Red Rocks song, that! :happy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom