Shuttlecock VIII: Did We Just Die?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a shithouse night five. Seriously. I can't believe this band has played 40 songs over the past three weeks, yet 18 have been done every night and 22 of them have appeared at five shows or less.

Fuck, now I'm drinking. I don't even know how this beer got in my hand.

That's the magic of TV Gaga for you.

mfbar_zpsvzaegbfc.gif

:love:

As for ranking bongs for someone:

1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. One Tree Hill
3. Heartland
4. New Year's Day
5. Bad
6. The Unforgettable Fire
7. Gone
8. Acrobat
9. Gloria
10. Zooropa
11. Treasure (Whatever Happened to Pete the Chop?)
12. The Electric Co.
13. Wild Irish Rose
14. Love Is Blindness
15. Spanish Eyes

Something like that anyway. 11 O'clock Tick Tock would be top three and Hawkmoon top ten if I were counting live versions. I can't even imagine considering something post-Pop for a top thirty. U2 couldn't record a great song now even if they tried.

Top ten, as of today -

1 - A Sort of Homecoming
2 - One Tree Hill
3 - Acrobat
4 - Heartland
5 - The Unforgettable Fire
6 - Zooropa
7 - New Year's Day
8 - Bad
9 - Until the End of the World
10 - Red Hill Mining Town

I suspect I've made lists on here before, and they're likely slightly different each time. Although, cannot imagine any in my Top 5 ever not appearing on a list of mine....

That's the top ten of a fucking champion, NSW. Good work. :up:

if god will send his angels
running to stand still
so cruel
numb
ultraviolet
out of control
40 if we're talking something like the under a blood red sky version. if not, well fuck you, i'm putting it here
a sort of homecoming
always
i threw a brick through a window

i' wonder how many of those songs were on the last top 10 i made. probably 2 or 3.

Not trolling?

Only trolling in the sense that it's me making a top 10 U2 songs list and I haven't really cared about them in years. Just that song, or the fact that I put I threw a fucking brick through a window on there, as well as an atyclb goddamn b-side with a horrible line about wearing your seatbelt?

Only trolling in the sense that it's me making a top 10 U2 songs list and I haven't really cared about them in years. Just that song, or the fact that I put I threw a fucking brick through a window on there, as well as an atyclb goddamn b-side with a horrible line about wearing your seatbelt?

Let's not rag on I Threw a Brick.

But let's rag on IGWSHA. If I could delete one song off Pop - well, OK, that would be Miami, and then next would be Playboy Mansion, but IGWSHA would be third on the list, and I wouldn't shed a tear at any of them disappearing into the ether.

Mine looks a bit like Ax's and NSW's.

1. A Sort of Homecoming
2. One Tree Hill
3. Bad
4. Zooropa
5. With or Without You
6. Heartland
7. Stay
8. Running to Stand Still
9. Please
10. The Unforgettable Fire

Lovely to see RTSS in most of these. What an incredible song.

U2 in Boston, 24 May 2005 was my first real concert, at least as an adult. I was up in the fucking nosebleeds but everybody around me stood for the whole show. I hadn't paid too much attention to the guy next to me, beyond appreciating that he was singing along like I was. There were some great moments in that show - COBL opening, The Electric Co. with The Cry intro, The Ocean, Zoo Station and The Fly opening the encore, and the only time I've seen 40.

But probably my strongest memory? U2 got to Running to Stand Still, and it was beautiful, and at the end, I do not know why, but I turned to the guy next to me just as he turned to me. We both belted out "STILL RUNNING! STILL RUNNING! STILL RUNNING, YEEAAAHHH!" with the biggest fucking grins. And I don't even recall if Bono actually sang that. But we did. And it was amazing.

Let's not rag on I Threw a Brick.

But let's rag on IGWSHA. If I could delete one song off Pop - well, OK, that would be Miami, and then next would be Playboy Mansion, but IGWSHA would be third on the list, and I wouldn't shed a tear at any of them disappearing into the ether.

i'm with you on playboy mansion and miami, but i really do like if god will send his angels. maybe it's not really deserving as a number 1 spot on that list, although you see i didn't actually number it. but when i thought ugh, what would be my favorite u2 songs now? it was one of the 1st things that came to mind.

U2 in Boston, 24 May 2005 was my first real concert, at least as an adult. I was up in the fucking nosebleeds but everybody around me stood for the whole show. I hadn't paid too much attention to the guy next to me, beyond appreciating that he was singing along like I was. There were some great moments in that show - COBL opening, The Electric Co. with The Cry intro, The Ocean, Zoo Station and The Fly opening the encore, and the only time I've seen 40.

But probably my strongest memory? U2 got to Running to Stand Still, and it was beautiful, and at the end, I do not know why, but I turned to the guy next to me just as he turned to me. We both belted out "STILL RUNNING! STILL RUNNING! STILL RUNNING, YEEAAAHHH!" with the biggest fucking grins. And I don't even recall if Bono actually sang that. But we did. And it was amazing.

This made me really smile :) I too had some great moments with people in the crowd on the only Vertigo show I saw. A lot of people were on their feet, too.

Watching video of The Troubles from last night, and knowing what Laz told us, it does feel like a missed opportunity not touring with Warpaint as the opener and having one of them do the Lykke Li part on The Troubles.

we have very different reccollections of the same concert. :|

Watching video of The Troubles from last night, and knowing what Laz told us, it does feel like a missed opportunity not touring with Warpaint as the opener and having one of them do the Lykke Li part on The Troubles.

Yeah, I think Emily would have killed this.

Sounded great, and the length/quality of the solo just bums me out even more about the album version's abrupt fade.

Ha, yeah, I heard him say that. He was pretty funny last night. I was listening to the stream last night because I couldn't fall asleep.

Also, random aside: my favorite quirk of Axver's site is that he made Shine Like Stars an official snippet but not Hear Me Coming Lord, for a reason that I only guess is because he doesn't like One.

Also, random aside: my favorite quirk of Axver's site is that he made Shine Like Stars an official snippet but not Hear Me Coming Lord, for a reason that I only guess is because he doesn't like One.

That's lame as fuck. Especially as the WOWY addition is far less impactful, not to mention some of the most cliche lines Bono's ever come up with.

Ha, yeah, I heard him say that. He was pretty funny last night. I was listening to the stream last night because I couldn't fall asleep.

Axver and I have discussed this many times. He can obviously answer for himself but basically it predates him, and the project to add in hear us coming is just one he hasn't felt up to undertaking.

I wouldn't mind doing it, myself, if I weren't always so damn busy.

Top ten, as of today -

1 - A Sort of Homecoming
2 - One Tree Hill
3 - Acrobat
4 - Heartland
5 - The Unforgettable Fire
6 - Zooropa
7 - New Year's Day
8 - Bad
9 - Until the End of the World
10 - Red Hill Mining Town

I suspect I've made lists on here before, and they're likely slightly different each time. Although, cannot imagine any in my Top 5 ever not appearing on a list of mine....

Good list...here's mine...
1 Dirty Day
2 Bad
3 Running To Stand Still
4 A Sort Of Homecoming
5 Lemon
6 11 O Clock Tick Tock (UABRS)
7 New Year's Day
8 Love Is Blindness
9 Zooropa
10 One Tree Hill
11 Surrender
12 Kite
13 Please
14 Rejoice
15 The Unforgettable Fire
16 The Fly

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I love that Zooropa is somewhere in 75% of these lists. :love:

If I had counted live versions, WAIA Bad would have been in there somewhere.

Here's Volcano from last night:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=SdyuT7pVYX8

Bono having trouble with the "you're on a piece of ground" line (similar to how he can't reproduce "RAISED" in RBW, but I guess we should be happy he was even able to nail it on the album version.

Sounded good though.

Well, they tried.

It's been so long since I've made a U2 list, I don't think I can get beyond my top 4:

1. Streets
2. A Sort of Homecoming
3. Zooropa
4. Out of Control

My top three is always With or Without You, One, and Stay. Although if I do live versions it changes the game entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Bad(minton)*
Lancemom
Shuttling To Stand Still
Play (Faraway, So Close!)
Who's Gonna Hit Your Wild Serves
A Sort Of Cock Coming
Cockrobat
Cockropa
Where The Cocks Have No Game
Wake Up, Line Judge

*live only