Shuttlecock VII: Journeys to The Edge of the catwalk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the snippet of Independent Women? I see we got it at Chicago, and I just listened to the clip and I don't hear it.

When I think of 2000s Bono lyrics, it's just a procession of dreck. Slogans, awkward metaphors, too many syllables per line, and an obvious fear that the audience may not get his point so every line is as obvious as possible. Nuance and subtlety have become scarce commodities. I don't think that even at my most hyper-fanboy stage did I ever identify the lyrics of ATYCLB or HTDAAB as part of their charms.

I'll agree that SOI, mainly the second half, is an improvement on the three previous albums, and some of the more "storyteller" songs of NLOTH have good imagery - the title track, Fez, and Cedars in particular. But listening to ATYCLB or HTDAAB for the lyrics is like watching The Big Bang Theory for deep insights into computing, and half of NLOTH (Unknown Caller through to Stand Up Comedy, plus Breathe) is horrible enough to have Bono banned from penning any further lyrics ever.

Force quit! And move to trash!
I'm gonna go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight!
Get on your boots, yeah, sexy boots!
Stop helping god across the road like a little old lady!
I wasn't going to buy just anyone's cockatoo!
Juju man, juju man FUCKING HELL BONO REALLY?!

The lyrics to breathe are just generally awful. Or a lesson in how to write awkwardly and come pretty close to ruining what would be a good song otherwise.

The god old lady one makes me glad I'm clearly not enough of a U2 fan to know what that is from.

yeah, those who frequented the setlist parties during the vertigo tour probably recall me being nearly in tears by the time they did yahweh (acoustic, as if the electric version isn't bad enough).

hearing 40 was the only saving grace; it still remains the only time i've heard it live.

oh and cobbler, you're right about the 2011 shows. the one show i saw that year was really solid. the impromptu performance of aiwiy was great, but the real highlight for me was the snippet of a freaking beyoncé song.

the fact that i've heard scarlet more than stuck is amazing.

Yahweh acoustic was a lot better I thought but yeah that's not a good-looking setlist.

When I think of 2000s Bono lyrics, it's just a procession of dreck. Slogans, awkward metaphors, too many syllables per line, and an obvious fear that the audience may not get his point so every line is as obvious as possible. Nuance and subtlety have become scarce commodities. I don't think that even at my most hyper-fanboy stage did I ever identify the lyrics of ATYCLB or HTDAAB as part of their charms.

I'll agree that SOI, mainly the second half, is an improvement on the three previous albums, and some of the more "storyteller" songs of NLOTH have good imagery - the title track, Fez, and Cedars in particular. But listening to ATYCLB or HTDAAB for the lyrics is like watching The Big Bang Theory for deep insights into computing, and half of NLOTH (Unknown Caller through to Stand Up Comedy, plus Breathe) is horrible enough to have Bono banned from penning any further lyrics ever.

Force quit! And move to trash!
I'm gonna go crazy if I don't go crazy tonight!
Get on your boots, yeah, sexy boots!
Stop helping god across the road like a little old lady!
I wasn't going to buy just anyone's cockatoo!
Juju man, juju man FUCKING HELL BONO REALLY?!

In the case of ATYCLB I love that album and so love its lyrics. Yep, they're completely lacking in any subtlety (there's a song called "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out of" for fuck's sake) but they work. They're genuine.

I'd argue Unknown Caller has maybe the worst lyrics of any song they've done.

The lyrics to breathe are just generally awful. Or a lesson in how to write awkwardly and come pretty close to ruining what would be a good song otherwise.

The god old lady one makes me glad I'm clearly not enough of a U2 fan to know what that is from.

I listened to NLOTH fairly recently and almost threw my stereo out the window after those awful verses of Breathe. I'd forgotten how bad they are. (It's a shame there are a couple of decent lyrics lost within Bono shouting every other line from a community newspaper.)

The old lady lyric is from Stand Up Comedy. I promise you that listening to somebody drilling a hole is a more enjoyable musical experience.

In the case of ATYCLB I love that album and so love its lyrics. Yep, they're completely lacking in any subtlety (there's a song called "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out of" for fuck's sake) but they work. They're genuine.

I'd argue Unknown Caller has maybe the worst lyrics of any song they've done.

I don't see why loving the lyrics has to follow from loving an album. I can think of some pretty enjoyable albums with lyrics I'd rather not quote. I just can't believe that the same man who wrote Love Is Blindness, Please, and North and South of the River - two of those during the previous album cycle - thought that Peace on Earth was a meditation on violence worth sharing with anybody. And if New York was about my city, I'd be embarrassed by how simplistic some of the lyrics are. Resorting to observing that "summers are hot" (no waaayyyyy) and listing off a few migrant groups while just shouting the city's name as the chorus? Come on.

But yeah, hard to argue re: Unknown Caller. If I made a list of U2's worst songs lyrically, it would definitely make the top ten.

I admit that I do really like Stuck, which is probably just one more thing in the laundry list of suspect opinions I hold regarding U2.

Revisiting the 360 tour...lest we forget what that stage and setlist was capable of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ0yf_ukDTE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8p1rDV59bI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI7zwdLW3Bg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeuGHa_sbn8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8ojvVAh9VU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axEyeurOMxw

That tour had its fucking moments. I'll always have a soft spot for it. Real shame that Rose Bowl was hot garbage because that's the only tour document we were left with.

Last edited:
I'll give New York more props than some might... actually think it's one of the better songs on ATYCLB. Perhaps there's a note of self-awareness in amongst the surfacy 'got me an apartment in Noo Yawk' stuff. The 'better put the women and children first' line works particularly well imo.

Well, I got to hear The Electric Co., so there's that.

The two ATYCLB songs don't bother me in and of themselves, to be honest. I think Elevation is always fun, and the crowd was really into singing along with Stuck. The latter should have been electric, because Edge only on piano followed by a Bono/Edge piano duet on EBW really sucked the air out of the room. Maybe others can dispute this, but the crowd did not seem into EBW, despite Bono's impassioned vocal. I'm really, really hoping that Stuck doesn't become a permanent add because of the Sheehan thing. Not even sure what that song has to do with him anyway.

And I don't understand why the mini-stage thing has to be two R&H songs or two ATYCLB songs; why not mix it up more, pick one from each? If I get the R&H special and don't wind up hearing California (I've pretty much given up on The Troubles), yes, I'm going to be pretty pissed, because they shouldn't be rotating old songs with new ones.

I'm one of the bigger Invisible fans on here and I was a little underwhelmed by the live performance. I think This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now would actually be a much more successful second set opener, with the slow builtdand the punky dance vibe. Would get the crowd going more, IMO. Of course, I'd prefer that both songs were in the setlist but I know not to expect too much.

So yeah, if tomorrow's only changes are Out Of Control for Electric Co, and Angel Of Harlem and Desire for the two ATYCLB, this would be worst case scenario. Including Bad would help. And like Ashley said I can't believe I'll be praying for Miracle Drug tomorrow.

My friend had a great time, for what it's worth. She also took some shrooms halfway through so that may have played a big part.

On the positive side, highlights aside from Electric Co. were EBTTRT (this version sounds great, and I love how it carried from the catwalk to the mini-stage), and Bono bringing out that male Sikh to dance with him during Mysterious Ways. The visuals were fantastic, particularly during UTEOTW and Cedarwood. Bullet sounded invigorated and I was loving Bono's new lyrics/ad-libbing. That's kind of it. Everything sounded solid but nothing else really stood out. I'll say it again: Volcano would have added a lot more energy and fun to this show.

I don't know how anyone can think that WOWY should still be in the setlist. Unlike Pride, which sounds enthusiastic and rousing every night, it's beyond stale at this point. Bono not being able to sing the "woooo" at the end is all the evidence you need.

I'm really not crazy about ISHFWILF as a closer. I understand how sick people like El Mel are of One, but it builds to a passionate crescendo, even without the "hear us coming" add-on. This song just kind of trails off, and it's really bizarre how the band just disappears off-stage without the usual series of waves and bows, plus Edge playing unseen for like a minute after they're gone. Really anti-climactic.

If they were smart they'd close with Bad more often. I'm lucky to have seen that on Vertigo and it works a hell of a lot better than what they're doing now.

Shity setlist, poor choices, and that's all. I know they have played more songs now than they did on the whole 1st leg of 360º, but that's only to prove that they need passionate performances and good choices on the whole show, not quantity.

WOWY, ISHFWILF, Stuck in a moment, EBW... they should just be dropped.
They have POP songs, they have good songs from the 80s (In God's Country, NYD, etc.) with the right vibe and beat to make a difference. They have Acrobat, Love is Blindness, Wild Horses, Crystal Ballroom, Troubles, Reach Me Now, Kite, etc, etc, etc... they have more than enough stuff that could be special moments in the show.

The 360º Tour had some worst setlists compared to the ones we have now, but it created special moments right from the first show.

I can't disagree with too much of what you have to say, Laz, and I think it's a nice level way to react :wink:. WOWY was better tonight than Tuesday, but seriously, it's time to give it a rest. When ONE is getting a break, I think it's time to realize that anything can take a break.

So, just an aside, I was looking for some pictures from the last time I was on rail, and I happened to come across my review for the Chicago show from the final leg of 360. I couldn't remember exactly what happened that made me start hating the line people so much, but, well here it is:

http://www.u2interference.com/forum...dier-field-chicago-il-211448.html#post7272960

And more fun:
http://www.u2interference.com/forum...er-field-chicago-il-211448-2.html#post7273556

I love One, there were some powerful performances last tour (and the Glastonbury version... wow!), but even that song is completely fucked up in this tour, and it's not because Bono is not playing guitar! If they want to play One like they are doing, yeah... it's better they give it a long break.

The only things I really disagree with Laz on are EBTTRT (which was better tonight, granted, but still leagues behind 360), Invisible (I love it, even at the spot it's currently in) and One being even remotely OK as a closer right now. It felt really, really hollow on night 1. It was like they couldn't wait to get out of the venue. Bono can't sing it anymore, there was no atmosphere, what a waste. I love One as much as anyone, but it sucks right now. Like Bad, that is a special song and needs to be performed sparingly at this point.

I'll give New York more props than some might... actually think it's one of the better songs on ATYCLB. Perhaps there's a note of self-awareness in amongst the surfacy 'got me an apartment in Noo Yawk' stuff. The 'better put the women and children first' line works particularly well imo.

I love New York. I think it's a great song.

My friend had a great time, for what it's worth. She also took some shrooms halfway through so that may have played a big part.

Haha that's funny! At a U2 show, lol. Did you have any? We actually went on a road trip yesterday hunting for shrooms and then all my mates took them at a house party at mine last night. One of my friends had a freakout. I refuse to even try them, I had such a bad experience on acid.

That one where bulletproof is talking about not wanting to get arrested for trespassing, fuck that. I'd be more worried about getting arrested for assault. I don't always have anger issues, but I don't see how no one else has punched him in the face yet. Or any of the other list douches. I don't like enough huge bands to know what kind of bullshit goes on within the batshit crazy segment of their hardcore fanbases, maybe they're shitty people just begging to be held down and force-fed their silly list too.

Look, I like being front and center at what I've always called the barricade rather than rail (although I've gotten the impression it's the same thing) as much as anyone. There have been tons of pictures from small shows I've been to that I've found online where I'm in them looking all ridiculous singing along. There will most certainly be some from the sinners & saints show last Friday that I'm hoping to find and laugh at. I enjoy breathing and not being stuck behind World's Tallest Humans--I'm 5'8", so it's about 50-50 on whether that happens, and I've been known to let a shorter girl stand in front of me because I'd hate to have to stare at the back of my head all show. Unless she bites me, then she can go die in a fire for all I care--or Asshole Who Can't Stop Farting (this may be the worst) and seeing and whatnot. But honestly, getting in line more than an hour or hour and a half before doors is my limit. None of that 5am shit. And definitely not going to search the Internet for the control freak who started making a list several days ahead of time. Good god, get a fucking life, line nazis.

I remember loving the shit out of Zooropa at every 360 show, and then sort of looking around and seeing most of the other people around me wondering WTF this song is. So giving the die-hards a treat can be problematic.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

There are all kinds of fans. The notion that only die-hards would know a song like Zooropa is simply untrue.

This whole black-and-white outlook at fans being divided into die-hards and casuals is more akin to something U2girl would write.

And I remember loving the hell out of Until the End of the World and other people around me being WTF at my gig. Until the End of the World. Wrap your heads around that folks.

I just read through more than 100 posts in anticipation, only to get a rational and level headed post from Laz. What a let down.

:lol:

I remember loving the shit out of Zooropa at every 360 show, and then sort of looking around and seeing most of the other people around me wondering WTF this song is. So giving the die-hards a treat can be problematic.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I'm sure there were a lot of people who looked around wondering WTF In a Little While was as well :shrug:

God I remember that thread.

when i saw the dropkick murphys play at the umass spring concert about 10 years ago, i learned i have absolutely no fucking clue what songs anyone in the crowd might know or respond to. same thing with rem, there were people sitting during the weirdest moments that i could not understand. actually, during pretty much every large arena concert i've ever been to, i've had a wtf moment where i couldn't believe someone was sitting/talking to their friends/checking their phone/going to get more beer or nachos during THAT particular song.

and then there are people who don't even outwardly look like they're having a good time, even though they apparently couldn't be happier. my mother is strange like that. i couldn't go see springsteen and not bring her, because if she found out i would never hear the end of it. i showed up at her house for dinner wearing my pearl jam shirt once and i haven't heard the end of how next time they play around here i better bring her with me. but 90% of the time she has the same look on her face that you'd expect of someone waiting to get called into the dentist's office for a root canal. and then the entire drive home will be all about how much she absolutely loved the show.

Yeah I saw Broken Social Scene with a dude who barely moved throughout the whole show. When it ended he turned to me and was like "that's the best thing I've ever seen". I assumed he was hating it.

I still can't believe the time I went to a Muse show and the person next to me had no idea what the hell Time Is Running Out was and sat down.

Then again, I still think Muse are popularly known as "that Time Is Running Out band", as if they haven't done anything since Absolution. I prefer this world in my head where Muse haven't gone to shit.

Anyway, back to U2, I once had a decidedly casual fan express surprise to me that U2 don't play Silver and Gold any more, but maybe I can put that down to the fact Rattle and Hum is the band's best-selling album down here.

i learned i have absolutely no fucking clue what songs anyone in the crowd might know or respond to. same thing with rem, there were people sitting during the weirdest moments that i could not understand. actually, during pretty much every large arena concert i've ever been to, i've had a wtf moment where i couldn't believe someone was sitting/talking to their friends/checking their phone/going to get more beer or nachos during THAT particular song.

Like the mass exodus in my section during Bad at Phoenix 1. That was just baffling.

As for the show last night, even through the shitty periscope I could sense that the audience was really into it and I thought the songs had a lot of energy behind them. Not a setlist I'd have chosen but it seemed like a hell of a show nonetheless. I'm glad you guys all had fun.

I have no book, and it's Cori's turn in wrestling, so you all might have to entertain me.

I'm so sorry. I was out at an Arrested Development-themed burlesque show.

Yes, really.

Also, I'm actually a big fan of Stuck. I'd be okay not hearing it in concert anymore (although I wouldn't mind hearing this Edge-on-piano version), but dang, it's a great song. What a melody.

I am enjoying some of the public shaming of Zoomerang in the Setlist thread.

It basically is now "like the shows because the band might die tomorrow".

His reaction might have been a bit over the top but he's entitled to love a band but become disenchanted due to a decade's worth of what he perceives to be mediocrity and missteps.

Sanctimonious bullshit rubs me the wrong way.

Mother & Child Reunion segueing into Streets still doesn't work for me. Setlists aside, that's probably my biggest letdown of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom