My GA experience. The list is tainted.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bulltproof

The Fly
Let me start by saying I am a big fan of U2. The last show before 360 that I had the pleasure to see was Elevation.

I had tickets to see their Chicago show earlier this month. I had read all I could and even emailed Joe because I thought he did an excellent blog regarding the GA experience. He was very helpful, and answered my questions very quickly.

I got contact information for Soldier Field. My contact at the stadium was Kevin Wash. He is the Director of Event Services. I asked Mr. Walsh a ton of questions. His response was fast and thorough.

He told me there was no "list" that he would honor. Admission was a first come, first serve basis. Here is one of his emails:
[FONT=&quot]Last concert a fan started a number wrist banding system. That did not work out real well for the fan. We have police ready to issue tickets prior to 6 a m. The only system that we will honor is the system that we will implement. If someone tells you are 79 and you come # 7. You are # 7 in our plan. We have Stadium rules and we follow them. That is the bottom line. If the fan club creates internal drama that is on the fan club and not us. But we will use OUR plan. [/FONT]

This concerned me because I had to trek around Soldier Field to find this illusive list and get on it. I finally found Lia and Romi. I got on the list about 1am on Monday.
Lia told me there would be no check in on Monday and to meet at 4:30 "or thereabout" on the day of show.
I was able to park on Tuesday at 5:00am. That was the earliest the garage opened.

When I went to the parking garage to check in, I was told "You lost your spot". I was furious. I explained that the parking garage didn't open until 5. Lia told me to ask those around me if I could join the line again.

The problem I have is that she told me "Or thereabout". She didn't say "no later than", or "exactly". AND she was the list coordinator. Surely she should have a contingency plan for those that had to park in the garage. I guess I ask too much.

When we were led by security to the official GA line there were 6 people there. SIX. All I heard from others was how they wanted to kick some ass. Really? U2 fans want to kick ass over 6 people? Maybe I was at a Metallica show and didn't know it. Surely these weren't fans of a band that promotes equality and love.
The six that were lined up were probably doing as the venue told them. First come, first serve. Yet because there was a list there were more important people that had superior right to dictate line order.

This started to leave a bad taste in my mouth. I was distraught that the band I love had such uncool fans.

Once we entered the stadium, more chaos. Most of the people ran to the rail. Absolutely, I did too. But when I got there, it looked like a strand of paper dolls. Thirty people with arms a legs spread out were taking up the outer rail. Maybe some were valid "holds". But some, no doubt, were not.

On to Pittsburgh
I decided to show up at Pittsburgh a day earlier. We were there by 3am on Saturday. I was going to start a list, but thought I would sit back and see how it was run, and take the complete experience in.

We walked around the stadium, and saw Arlette. We also saw Mike. Arlette didn't talk to us, but Mike did. He said he was about to start the list. He said he had about 10 other people waiting to sign up on the list. They weren't there yet. When he brought the notebook and pen I asked him what number I would be (I expected him to say 12). He said I would be number 2. He let me sign my name, and wrote "2" on my hand.
We talked for a few minutes about what would be fair, and what's not. He seemed to be honest and I thought would make a great list coordinator.

INCOMING!
Romi and Laura showed up. So did Casey and a few others.
I listened as I heard Romi tell how he wanted to add people that weren't there. He called it a "plus one" system. He said he did it at all the shows.
He tried to add people BEFORE allowing Casey to sign her name. Of course, Casey told him no.
I remember he added Brad to the list. He also added Tom and Michelle.
So ONE guy wanted to add 3 people to a system he called "plus one".

[** pic deleted per member requests **]

Above is a pic of the pencil whipping that was about to ensue.

There may have been others in this group to add people, however, Romi was the most adamant and vocal about it.

Within minutes, Mike lost control of the list. It was sad really. Mike is a good guy, and it seemed he had the best of intentions. The little "Napoleons" had to get their proverbial "finger in the pie".

Two to tango...
Of course, what would a cluster f*ck of a list be without two lists?
Let's just add another! While Mike was starting a list on Saturday morning, Lou started a list on Friday. Friday? Three days before the show? Yep. Friday. Three days before the show.

Now we had 2 lists with 27 names on it.
Lou had seven names on hers. The other list had 20.
How many people were there?

... about 12.

So there are 12 people, and 27 names on a list? Odd...

Since you may not be able to see the names, here they are:

1. Lou
  2. Mike
  3. Arlette
  4. Isela
  5. Tracy
  6. Ami
  7. Christine
  8. Tyler
  9. Laura
  10. Roman
  11. Fernando
  12. Kristi
  13. Shawn
  14. Casey
  15. Michelle
  16. Craig
  17. Alison
  18. Anna
  19. Beth
  20. Michelle
  21. Tom
  22. Lacie
  23. Lorie
  24. Tim
  25. Brad
  26. Lisa
  27. Kelly
How can there be 27 people on a list and only 12 actual people there?
Both lists merged. Lou's group had "plus one's". The other list had "plus one's" (unless you count Romi's 3, then it's "plus three").
They didn't even have the courtesy to add the plus one's AFTER the actual people that were there.

Rewrite the list. And rewrite it.
And hide all evidence that it was rewritten.
Why hide something if it is common knowledge?

My question is...
If someone will "plus one" people 2 days before, what's to stop them from adding names to the list while they work their shift?
Their shift? Yes. The people that sign the list can also volunteer to stay for 3 hour time slots to help keep the list going. What I found odd with this is that in a 3 hour shift some people had 2-5 people sign up. However, some "volunteers" had 10+ sign up. Were they plus ones?

We talked to the person taking names today and explained how my one friend had to work and couldn't make it down til like 2. They said it wouldn't be a problem if we held her spot in the line...? The whole thing is really starting to confuse me.

Of course they don't mind. YOU are after them in line. It's the people behind you that get short changed. Why should they show up at 5am, and your friend show up at 2pm?

What time is it in the world?
More confusion came when everyone was told to be at the show at 7am.
I guess U2Dave told Lou he wanted them there at 5am. And Lou... well she argued with Dave. Way to go Lou :huh:.
So a post was made here about the 5am change. What about the people that show up at 7am? fyi: there were 158 people on the list that were told 7am.
I talked to several "volunteers". Most of them said "f*ck them, they loose their spot".

Here is an interesting video that shows Lou telling a fan how to make the GA line work...

[** video deleted per member requests **]

It must have worked Lou! The friend with number 237 was right beside them.

And that's what you get when you endure days of "list" drama.

You deal with the "paper dolls".

I'm not trying to piss people off. I like U2. Do they really need this stigma following them?

[/CENTER]
[/CENTER]

Last edited by a moderator:
ha you people are too polite - that just wouldn't fly here in Europe :D

especially people standing at the rail like that, well they would just get their arms squished!

i think people should just show up whenever the venue tells them they can. I dont necessarily have a problem with people camping out, though most places prohibit it. Do away with "the list", first come first serve. Once you get your number, then you can go to the bathroom, etc. I dunno, seems fair to me. No holding spots in line for people who show up hours later...not that im an angel...but lets be fair.

I love the band and have enjoyed being up close and personal 7 out of 10 shows over the years. However last time i showed up (STL) and stood a ways back and got one heck of a show and view of the claw in all of its glory.

I can definitely see both sides of this. Is it wrong to assume that people making "the list" and showing up at insane hours like 0530 hours are the same people that see multiple shows?

Is it wrong to assume that people making "the list" and showing up at insane hours like 0530 hours are the same people that see multiple shows?

No. That would be right on the money.
In fact, look at the FanCam. See those faces under Bono's mic? They repeat. Romi must be front rail 6 times.

i think this is why u2 went with the "lottery" or whatever with Vertigo Tour, because even they got sick of this kind of shit. That and the bullshit in Boston where people sat down in the middle of a video shoot. I can see another "lottery" next time around just to get fresh faces up front, or, people who dont camp out for 3 days and start "the list" 2 days prior.

I cannot get my head around why some of you care so much. There was none of this clique-y bullshit at the Australian shows that I went to. Just absolutely disgusting :down:

i think this is why u2 went with the "lottery" or whatever with Vertigo Tour, because even they got sick of this kind of shit. That and the bullshit in Boston where people sat down in the middle of a video shoot. I can see another "lottery" next time around just to get fresh faces up front, or, people who dont camp out for 3 days and start "the list" 2 days prior.

It didn't work though. Same faces up front, people lining up even earlier to be guaranteed spots on the outer rail since now a few hundred spots inside the circle were no longer guaranteed. Not defending/condoning....just saying... I think I did GA 9 times on Vertigo and it was still the same ol' same ol'.

Personally I don't think there should have to be a list. People should just show up when they want to/can, get in line, and stay in line. 20 mins to grab a drink or use the restroom is fine, you get to know the people on either side of you and everyone can vouch for each other. Why do people need to leave for hours on end? If you want to sleep in a posh hotel with the band then don't get in line first. If you need three hours to prep yourself for Bono then don't get in line first. Simple.

I really have a BIG problem with you posting pictures of people here. :down:

No. That would be right on the money.
In fact, look at the FanCam. See those faces under Bono's mic? They repeat. Romi must be front rail 6 times.

Do you have any idea how long he lined up for those shows? Were you at all of them?? I know him personally, and he can run like a bat out of hell. He didn't start this line drama bullshit.

What is being described here stands in pretty sharp contrast to how I believe the list was managed in Toronto. I think Toronto was fair with no shenanigans or plus 1 ideas.

I do think that some similar aspects happened in Montreal though...there was alot of paper flyin around..but I could be mistaken I dont pay that much attention to whether Im 100 or 20 in the line really.

I read something in the Pitts thread that had me scratching my head..person said that they were number 10 or so, and the reason why their two friends who were further down the list got to stand beside said person all night is because saud person ran like a bat outta hell and got to the front first. I took that to mean that their friends came after. If they did, then how did they end up on the rail beside him? I can see behind him, but rail? That seems to indicate spot saving, being referred to here as paper doll.. :shrug:

I was distraught that the band I love had such uncool fans.

This is pretty much applicable to every band out there. You've heard this old saying haven't you:

I love the band; it's their fans I can't stand.

You'll find all types, from the best to the worst, and everything in between.

Not much fun when you run into the bad ones though.

They were many people at other shows that were around 300 that got rail or 2nd row. So what the fuck is the problem? You didn't run fast enough or something? You didn't get face time with the BONO? Grow the fuck up. I am furious that you would even do this.

They were many people at other shows that were around 300 that got rail or 2nd row.

Yeah at a stadium show...not that hard. We showed up around 5:30pm (yes that's 1.5 hr before the show) twice and got "stamped" into the inner circle and chose a spot just a few rows off the rail on the outside, probably could've gotten closer if we moved faster and squeezed.

Seriously. This stealth mission is disconcerting. At least give me a heads up next time you're taking pictures on the sly so I can avoid the double chin I have going on up there.

— Beth N., #15, then #10, then #19, then #18 all on the Pittsburgh list(s), and proud inhabitant of her favorite spot on the outer rail

by hook or by crook, i agree with the original post. you think band management aren't noticing this? they'll be cracking down big time next tour.

maybe there shouldn't be naming and shaming, but this is downright the wrong way to have a ga queue.

I really have a BIG problem with you posting pictures of people here. :down:

The pictures fall under public domain. They were gathering in a public place. How do you think news cameras get the right?

Do you have any idea how long he lined up for those shows? Were you at all of them?? I know him personally, and he can run like a bat out of hell. He didn't start this line drama bullshit.

I don't care how long HE lined up. I care how many people HE signs up that aren't there. I also care if HE "paper dolls" it. AND I also mentioned Lou. She did "plus one".
This isn't an attack. It's an observation.

You are a piece of work. Lame. :down:

You are also an asshole for doing this.

Are you referring to me?
Because if you are, what does that make someone that bends a system to suit them?

What is being described here stands in pretty sharp contrast to how I believe the list was managed in Toronto. I think Toronto was fair with no shenanigans or plus 1 ideas.

I do think that some similar aspects happened in Montreal though...there was alot of paper flyin around..but I could be mistaken I dont pay that much attention to whether Im 100 or 20 in the line really.

I read something in the Pitts thread that had me scratching my head..person said that they were number 10 or so, and the reason why their two friends who were further down the list got to stand beside said person all night is because saud person ran like a bat outta hell and got to the front first. I took that to mean that their friends came after. If they did, then how did they end up on the rail beside him? I can see behind him, but rail? That seems to indicate spot saving, being referred to here as paper doll.. :shrug:

You're right. It happened all along the rail.

This isn't just about one person. It's about a system that fails, and those that abuse it to the point it fails.

I don't expect everyone to like what I have to say. I expect a backlash. Do you think the 30+ people that were "plus one" will like that I am exposing it? Do you think the people that sign up friends that aren't there will like it? Come what may someone needed to tell the fellow fans.

Why does there need to be a list? :huh:

Beats me. People seem to expect it though. My last "list" experience was on Vertigo. I showed up with two other Interferencers (April and Miroslava) and to our surprise we were the first to arrive at the venue late the night before (we came from out of state, didn't have a room). We asked around and a security guard on duty showed us where we could start a line, assured us it was OK and we could even drop a little tent. We shared pizza, he let us use an outlet in his booth. Brad was there, that Kevin guy from Buffalo was there, I think Beverly was there too. Then early morning people started coming and yacking at my tent about the list and the numbers and whatnot. Some got out a notebook. I believe Brad volunteered to do the list. I was not in any mood to be a "line nazi" or whatever. From what I heard, everyone was pissed that no one was "managing" the line or taking the list seriously. We're all adults, I honestly didn't fucking care if Joe Blow saved a spot for his "pregnant" wife. I knew I was one of the first three people there and I knew the person to my right and to my left. If other people want to save spots or let people cut, hey that's their business I'm not going to throw a fit or intervene and I'm not going to waste my time guarding a freaking list. I believe I left the line for a total of 25 minutes. That was a "lottery" show. The three of us got on the front rail with two of the three tickets winning the lottery.

The list has been started by different people at different shows.

If we didn't have a list, then how would lining up work? I like the list. But, I also like the lottery system and I hope they bring it back next tour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom