September 12, 2009 - Soldier Field Chicago - Illinois

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry to hear about the bad GA experiences many had :(

But it was like that at many European shows I went to as well. They let too many people into the circle, it was packed, you couldn't move, no fun.

Walked to SF from Lake & Clark which seemed like a really long walk got to SF at about 4:30p.m. as we were walking to GA Area we saw about 50 people & about ten security guards near a black gate & we realized this is where U2 will enter long story short we walked over there at about 5:15p.m. about ten Chicago Police Officers showed up so we knew U2 were soon to arrive and at about 5:30p.m. a large black SUV pulled up near the crowd & stopped one guy got out & walked around the car looking around first then opened the back driver's side door & out walks Bono Stacey has about two minutes of video of him signing things & briefly talking to people

We walked into GA/FLOOR Area at about 6p.m. she wanted to stay Outside Rail Edges side but I walked over to RED ZONE VIP ONLY Sign on Adam's side & asked a Security guy if she & I were allowed inside the circle he said "Yes..." we were six rows back from FOS Adam's side crammed in their like sardines the view was GREAT but the clowns around us were not one guy kept going back & forth getting beers & I could tell he was a tad drunk well one time he bumped into my wife so I gave him a friendly shove to his arm he turned to look at me & I said "Get going boy!" I am really really friendly & considerate & kept making sure the shorter people behind me could see good but bumping into my wife is a big don't even consider it LOL

Snow Patrol very good:up:

U2 were SPECTACULAR :drool:

Heels were killing me:sad:

Unless you MUST be close to the stage my suggestion is Outside Rail for GA so you can move freely

This might help someone doing back-to-back GA shows..buy gel inserts, the "gellin like magellen"-kind

I bought some Sunday morning and my feet aren't killing me the way they did free the first show

-dan

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to give you my impressions of the show from Saturday night. Flew out from San Antonio TX on Friday night, went to show Saturday, and flew back Sunday. Now I’m here at working writing about it. What a blur!!

Saturday was my 10th U2 show. 1st time I was 14 years old for Zoo TV, saw Popmart, Elevation, and Vertigo (arena/stadium). Was really looking forward to the 360 show and was happy U2 decided to try stadiums again in the US. U2 is made for the stadiums. And after Saturday this remains true if not prominent for the rest of their career.

The 360 show is just amazing, magical, breathtaking, and the most ambitious thing U2 has done. I know Zoo TV was revolutionary and Popmart was huge, but this setup and presentation just epic. From the stage, sound, & camera work (like your watching Rattle n Hum camera work at the show) this show is an experience you’ll never forget.

Highlights for me was the new material, ATYCLB songs, COBL, UF(!!!), Vertigo, and the encore. Only thing I felt didn’t work was Pride. It’s the only thing that felt forced by the band. Even the crowd wasn’t into at all. Overall though the setlist is solid.

I was down in the GA and at first we stood about 10 ft from the outer railing but decided to just step back to have some breathing room and see more of the stage. If anyone is ever scared about being packed in just step back on the side area or soundboard area as you still have a great view. Being in the thick of things for GA at a U2 show is pretty tough to do.

Overall loved the show and trip. Well worth it. Not sure if its my favorite show but it was special. Nearly in tears during UF, UV, and MOS. Can’t wait for Vegas!!

If you get there at 5 and let everyone in the GA line go in, you can still get a good spot outside the rail....not 2 or 3 people deep, more like 10-15 but that is still good.

I am 6'1 so I could see over prerey much everyone, but if height is an issue I can understand wanting to go back to the soundboard

One more thing...I could hear an echo from the back speakers. Hadn't heard that since popmart. But overall I loved the sound.

I was at the stadium for an hour or so talking with friends...the line did not look as bad/long...gates open in 4 hours

-dan

agreed about the sound. we did really like our spot towards the back, but Larry's drum kept bouncing off the back of the stadium. on songs like SBS, it was very distracting.

I'd be extremely grateful if someone going tonight could take pics of the soundboard area. :)

9924_134713531249_513701249_2471248_2735523_n.jpg

Hmm...that seems a bit far...I still think outside on the rail is the best spot even if the guys don't come out there much...especially for a short person.

Hmm...that seems a bit far...I still think outside on the rail is the best spot even if the guys don't come out there much...especially for a short person.

to be honest, it was a perfect spot, and it seemed a lot closer than what my cell phone cam made it look like.

Thought I would post here as well!

We had Red Zone 2 for Saturday nights show. I loved it! We waited outside to see the band arrive and were treated with Bono coming out to say hi for a few minutes... got video and photos of him that came out great.. will post later. Then at 6pm we walked in to the stadium and into the Red Zone. Even though I am 7 months pregnant, we decided to take the rail and see if it was calm enough for me to stay there. We got the first open rail spot which was right past the green tape on the rail... AMAZING that when the show started, we only had maybe 1 to 2 people behind us at any time!!!! I was never once pushed and never felt crowded at all. The people around us were all great and excited I was there pregnant and everyone was happy in their spots. When we would go to the restroom or to get food we all watched eachothers spots. It was so mellow and wonderful! I noticed most of the crowd was all towards the front of the Red Zone, where you can see the front of the stage better. There were probably 6-7 rows back of people there or more. It looked pretty packed there. I was perfectly happy with my side view and comfortable spot. I was also pleasantly surprised at how close the main stage seemed, in photos I thought it would be much further away. Wish they wouldve used the catwalk more but we did get a lot of Adam right in front of us which was awesome. Bono came by once and Edge and Larry once as well. Unforgettable Fire and Bad are my 2 favorite U2 songs, so I was thrilled to get them both in one show! I was totally satisfied with my one show this leg and left the stadium more in love with U2 than ever
We also had a fun experience on Thursday night! We went to a late sushi dinner and at about 1230am, we went to the bar at the hotel where U2 was staying to get a drink. We walked in and right in the corner there sat Edge! So I grabbed the only open table in the bar which happened to be right across from Edge! My hubbie got us drinks and he didnt even realize that Edge was sitting there About 10 minutes in he looked around and saw him and was like Ah! I see why your eyes are all lit up! I was being really good and didnt want to bother him so I only glanced over a couple times but could see him out of the corner of my eye Best part was .. when Edge was leaving... he stopped right next to us, turned to my husband and said HI! We were both awe struck and couldnt really say anything back! My husband just gave him a nod LOL and I quietly said Hi Edge. Hahahaa. Edge was the one to initiate it and I couldnt believe neither one of us could make out any words or put our hand out for a hand shake. lol. My goal was not to bother him though and so I hadnt prepared myself for a possible hello.
Another couple fun moments were... Thursday night, we were staying at my friends apartment on Michigan Ave.. and we could actually see the stadium and some of the claw from her rooftop terrace! You could even hear soundcheck! So we went down to soundcheck and listened.. I was interviewed by a news channel because they were fascinated by my belly and that I took our baby in my belly to her first U2 show.... same thing happened on Saturday when we were waiting for the band to arrive... I was interviewed by Channel 5 news! Still have no idea if the segment was aired though!
We had an amazing, unforgettable time in Chicago!!!!!!!!! Thank you U2!!! :heart:

Here was my experience.....we had no intentions of camping out. We arrive in Chicago around dinner time on Friday, and since we were passing the stadium on the way in, we stopped to see what was going on. There was a bunch of people by the loading dock. I think the band was already in and sound checking, so they were waiting for the band to leave. I saw all these people with wristbands and asked Romi what that was about. He pointed out this guy handing them out so we (me, Phil, and friend) went and got them. The guy said we had to come back between 5-6am. It sounded too good to be true. We left b/c we were starving and didn't want to wait 4 hours for the band to finish. We went to bed at midnight, got up at 4am. We were going to get in line at 6am b/c that's when I thought the lots opened but I came on here and luckily read Beth's post about the lot opening at 5am so we picked up our friends at their hotel and got to the stadium around 5:15am. We parked and got in the line. There were various colors of wristbands and numbers on people's hands, but I don't think it mattered, we just got in the end of the line where it was when we arrived and that was that. Fair enough, IMO. I did not expect anything to come of the wristband and would not have cut people who slept there. My wristband said #181 and there were about 200 people in front of me, so it didn't really matter anyway and we were quite satisfied with our spot. Luckily since we were at the front, we were under that tunnnel and shaded all day.

Overall, my GA line experience was one of the best ever. At least in our group and around us, there was no drama, no fighting, no one trying to enforce wrist bands or line numbers. It was packed at the beginning and Tim shouted for people to back up, so we did gain a bit more space pretty quickly. In all other lines I've been in near the front, there has been like two hours of tension with people fighting, trying to cut, challenging the line Gestapo, etc and I personally did not see or experience any of that. There was a dude in a huge walking cast and he walked through the gates first while everyone cheered.

I had a good experience with security. They were respectful to us and very forthcoming with information. They told us everything they knew unlike at some venues where they treat you like shit and are intentionally as vague as possible. The one guy standing at the rope by us explained how he wanted to send the people in and it ended up going down exactly as he said.

The only bad thing was as soon as we got in the building, lol. I was in the first group. They let about 200 people go in, so we all went through the gates, got tickets scanned, but then when we got into the building I'm not sure what happened b/c I couldn't see but we all got smashed and crushed. The security inside was shouting at us and threatening to throw us out for pushing but people just kept coming in b/c the security outside was letting them run in and no one was moving. I guess the band was still sound checking? I dunno, it was a total cluster fuck but luckily one person in my group was one of the first 20 people on the floor and she grabbed the spot we wanted (inside ellipse, back rail center). So in the end we were where we wanted and honestly had our pick of spots. It was weird though b/c she got in right away, then a few minutes later I showed up, and then it was nearly 5 minutes before Phil showed up. I also heard from Beth that some people that came in the second group were already given floor wrist bands outdoors (while we were log jammed waiting to get ours on) and they found a different entrace? Not sure I heard that right.

Anyway....the ellipse was smaller than I thought, even at the back we could see all the expressions on the band's faces. People who said it is packed and loud are 100% correct! The back of the ellipse was more packed than the front of the ellipse last tour, and it was extremely loud.

Anyway....the ellipse was smaller than I thought, even at the back we could see all the expressions on the band's faces. People who said it is packed and loud are 100% correct! The back of the ellipse was more packed than the front of the ellipse last tour, and it was extremely loud.

I was always in the first rows inner circle and you could see from there that it was a lot more crowded than were I was LOL! And it was always possible to move and go back to the place you were before when they moved the catwalks while (especially outer rail) people were constantly pushing forwards. :down:

I loved, loved, LOVED these performances on Saturday night:

1. "Bad" - best performance by far, best of the times I've seen them do it live

2. "Unforgettable Fire" - WOW!

3. "Crazy Tonight" - are you kidding me?! Love this remix, wish it was on the album

4. "Streets"

5. "Ultraviolet" - double-wow, great performance of this. Last time I've seen them do this song was my first U2 concert (Zoo TV 1992)

one thing i wanted to mention is that as much as i rag on Vertigo and Elevation, those two songs were actually two highlights for me. it's amazing how a live setting can quickly change my view of a song.....or at least remind me that i can be a real fucking twat when it comes to judging U2's catalog.

Yep. Objects in camera are further than they appear.

i should also note that while i probably did look at the screen more than the actualy stage, that was more of a preference than what was made for me. i really had options here. plus, i've seen the band close up enough times during Elevation and Vertigo that it was actually nice to stroll in at 6:45 and just enjoy the view. :)

one thing i wanted to mention is that as much as i rag on Vertigo and Elevation, those two songs were actually two highlights for me. it's amazing how a live setting can quickly change my view of a song.....or at least remind me that i can be a real fucking twat when it comes to judging U2's catalog.

Exactly, they may not be winners on the album but live? The really get the crowd going.

I was there. Got there at 8:30 AM and figured we were approximately 400th in line. The line was great until about 3:15ish...the security was cool, they were collecting trash, there were bathrooms. After that things went downhill. The line scooted forward and people just got compacted and more compacted. Then you had teh ***holes who started line jumping. There is nothing more annoying than waiting all day to have people cut in front of you. There was also no air movement and a hot sun which made it worse. I honestly had the feeling that people were going to start dropping. After that people kept compacting, and after what seemed like an eternity, they started letting groups of 100 or so in. This was rough because I'm a big guy and felt like all it took was one person to fall and people would get trampled. I just didn't think it was safe at all and was really dissapointed in the last couple hours of the line experience and the way it was handled by security.

Once we got in we all got compacted again near the tight tunnel to get on to the stadium floor. Again...really dissapointing, because I don't beleive it had to be that way and the backups and people on top of people could have been prevented with proper planning.

Once we hit the floor we speed walked around the side and into the elipse. Edges side about three people from the outside rail. Again here it compacted and was person on top of person. They had hot dog vendors in the pit...it was ridiculous, and you couldn't move. There were too many people in there compared to both the heart and bullsye on the last tours which were great. If you wanted to go to the bathroom, or get a drink, you had to be prepared for a battle..it sucked.

The concert itself was great. I didn't expect the sound to be great being under the mains where I was but it was really pretty good. I thought Bono's voice sounded really great. The edge played awesome like always. I enjoy watching him and the way he and Dallas tinker with stuff the whole time to try and get things just right. I did get a pick from Dallas which was cool on a bathroom break. The setlist was great imho. They played the hit's and through in the new stuff. I would choose a different final song but what can you do....from my view, and perspective it was a great show.

Don't even get me started in the misery of trying to get out of the stadium. It was one of the most ridiculous things I have seen. People jumping fences, mud, cops being jerky etc. I've never seen as many people trapped like that in my life. I really felt someone could have gotten hurt given the situation.

So....I love U2, and it was a great concert but the overall experience was tainted by the last two hours of the GA line, the amount of people in the pit, and trying to get out of SF. Next date this tour I'm going to arrive close to showtime and stay out of the pit.

Yes. They had these big trays banging into everyone trying to get by. :doh::crack:

lol, I didn't mind them so much in the beginning, as we were told they'd be stopping once the show started. They didn't stop. Wtf?

BTW, I found a video of us making the mad dash for the stage. I'll send it to you :shifty:

Back
Top Bottom