Seen better days haven't they?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarvio

War Child
Well, first the singles off NLOTH flop in the charts, then SOA doesn't see the light of day, then Bono does his back in which causes the tour to be posponed, u2 pulling out of glastonbury, and the new song (supposedly written for glastonbury) proabably never seeing the light of day!

Not been a good year for U2 has it?! :lol:

And yet they still managed to have the highest grossing tour of 2009.*

Just imagine what they could do if they didn't suck!

:wink:

* if you can include the singles released in 2009, I can include the tour from 2009. So there. :tongue:

They've had the seventh highest grossing tour to date after just two legs of only a total of 44 shows, and they've still got about the same amount of shows left (although it'll take some time until they'll be done) which will without doubt make it the highest grossing tour ever so in terms of touring which has been the biggest aspect of this U2 "era" they've never seen better days.

Sure, they've got their share of backlashes when it comes to NLOTH and now Bono's back but they'll manage. Every time U2 has got problems in the past with their music when it comes to commercial success they made both a great and successful album afterwards (AB following R&H, ATYCLB following Pop). I think they know what they're doing. :up:

* if you can include the singles released in 2009, I can include the tour from 2009. So there. :tongue:

When I said year I didn't mean from jan 2010 onwards, it was more like from roughly a year ago onwards, so including much of 2009.

I wonder what this new glastonbury song was. EBW? Spiderman song maybe?

I've seen U2 live for the first time in my life. Their music has supported me this whole year.
Their tour is still the highest selling one from 2009. They're still at the top of their game, their fans still love them to bits.

So I'm not sure why you consider it a shit year. Singles flopping? As if charts mean shit these days with all the illegal downloading going on. SOA hasn't seen the light of the day YET, and the rest is just bad timing. :shrug:

Well, first the singles off NLOTH flop in the charts, then SOA doesn't see the light of day, then Bono does his back in which causes the tour to be posponed, u2 pulling out of glastonbury, and the new song (supposedly written for glastonbury) proabably never seeing the light of day!

Not been a good year for U2 has it?! :lol:

Wait, how is not releasing SOA a bad thing for the band? It is shame for the fans (though the album may still come or some of those songs may be released still) but I do not see how the band suffers?

Oh, I also heard that Edge has been battling a bad hangnail, Larry got shot, and Adam got jealous of Larry's acting.

So, all in all, a pretty shitty year.

Yes, U2 is over. It's all Bono's fault. He hurt himself on purpose because he hates touring, he was scared to death by the idea of playing the Glastonbury crowd, he lied about that "new" Glasto song and he wants to distract from the fact that NLOTH is a crappy album and all the SOA tapes have been lost or stolen so the album will never see the light of day.

:tsk:

I think the last thing we need here right now is more negativity.

But it's great to see that you can still laugh about the whole situation.

all's well that ends well

this thread is pointless

this thread is pointless

this thread is pointless

this thread is pointless

this thread is pointless

this thread is pointless

this thread is pointless

Ok, I feel much better.

:lol:

This thread :down:

'Tis only a light-hearted thread about how things may not be going U2's way lately. Purely light-hearted, no need for people to be so serious about this thread. It is a pointless thread yes, but so are many others here. And as I said, purely light-hearted. Hope I didn't offend anyone!

i just watched a ton of David Bowie videos on youtube, dont know why really, i just did. I started out watching Peter Schilling's version of Major Tom (coming home), which is awesome, and then a whole slew of Bowie until his very own Space Oddity. Damn...the 60's must have been fun...

Well, after a dozen posters ripped apart the original poster for making a casual observation, someone then says "the last thing we need is more negativity!". Nice. It's off-limits to criticize U2, but if you wanna rip apart your fellow fan, go for it!

Actually, it has been a somewhat difficult period for them, I think.

If you wanna say they played a big-scale tour so they're at their peak, then you'd also have to conclude that the Rolling Stones were at their peak in 2003. This very issue always makes me wonder if U2 have reached "dinosaur" status -- the stage where they new music fails to excite the mainstream but they can sell out any venue they want. Of course, it's far too early to make that conclusion, but there is always that risk when a band tries to do everything as BIG as they do.

Given the commercial attempts of certain tracks on the album, and the fact that they put out a long-delayed, short, concise record instead of an artier one or a double-album or whatever suggests to me that they were probably expecting a stronger reaction to NLOTH than they got. I would *guess* that they were hoping for a more of a home-run with the album and then to put out some more material this year, but the tepid response to the record probably put paid to any sudden Zooropa-like releases this year -- the band being afraid of having two middling albums in a row. And yeah, the Glasto cancellation is probably a huge disappointment to them.

U2 are the Lazarus of rock though. Write them off at your peril.

Hmm... they're actually more like that husband in I Love You To Death -- the wife keeps trying to kill him over and over, but can't...

Well, after a dozen posters ripped apart the original poster for making a casual observation

Oh, sweetheart, you don't quite get humour, do you?*

It's ok...keep working on it and you'll get there eventually. :therethere:

* (I will grant you a few of the posters before negativity girl didn't either, but I daresay most did.)

Well, after a dozen posters ripped apart the original poster for making a casual observation, someone then says "the last thing we need is more negativity!". Nice. It's off-limits to criticize U2, but if you wanna rip apart your fellow fan, go for it!

You don't seem to get it.

This thread was a casual observation, one that has been talked about and should have been posted in one of the many Bono back threads. It was not thread worthy, and many were light heartingly pointing that out. And no one said it's "off-limits to criticize U2".

Do you think this thread was a criticizm?

Come on, quit trying so hard to constantly attack.

Bad year? NLOTH was their best album since AB - even sites that normally diss U2 loved it. It went Platinum in the US and was one of the best selling albums in the US and worlwide that was released in 2009. The tour was a mega-monster success and is my favorite so far. Yes, no BD type of hit single and Bono's back is out bit hardly a bad year. All artists would dream of Platinum albums and huge tours!

Oh, sweetheart, you don't quite get humour, do you?*

It's ok...keep working on it and you'll get there eventually. :therethere:

* (I will grant you a few of the posters before negativity girl didn't either, but I daresay most did.)

The last time I checked, "humour" is supposed to be funny. You'll have to direct me to the humour on this thread.

So, now you're attacking me for defending the first poster. Even nicer.

You don't seem to get it.

This thread was a casual observation, one that has been talked about and should have been posted in one of the many Bono back threads. It was not thread worthy, and many were light heartingly pointing that out. And no one said it's "off-limits to criticize U2".

Do you think this thread was a criticizm?

Come on, quit trying so hard to constantly attack.

Everyone on Interference -- please take note!! BVS hath spoken. The mighty one has informed us of what is THREAD-WORTHY!!!

Henceforth, nary a thread shall be started by anyone without permission from BVS!! Amen.

(There was some sarcasm here. Not sure if you "got it".)

Back
Top Bottom