Say something negative about Achtung Baby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So Cruel bores me. Other than that, the album is perfect.
Let me clarify: I never said that So Cruel was bad. It's still a decent song, but it's not what I prefer to listen to most of the time. It's the weakest song on the album in my opinion.

It's got really bad mixing. It's The Edge's best album by far, but you'd have no idea unless you heard ZooTV because his guitar is so fucking low in the mix. It would be my favorite U2 album if it weren't for that.

Love the whole album, not a bad song on it. One of my favorite albums ever. But that being said:
1. Studio versions of TTTYAATW and Mysterious Ways are great, but the ZooTV live version of both are better. Especially MW- so funky, and love the piano part. And TTTYAATW live just enchants me for some reason. Now it is hard for me to go back to the album versions.
2. For a while, as a casual fan who didn't pay a lot of attention to the CD and its nuances, I would often get UTEOTW, Acrobat, Ultraviolet and occasionally TTTYAATW all mixed up. There is something similar about those songs, not quite sure in what way, though. Now of course, after many listens I think that's funny I ever had that problem.
3. I can't listen to One without thinking "Bacon, bacon, bacon, haaaaaaaam."

It's got really bad mixing. It's The Edge's best album by far, but you'd have no idea unless you heard ZooTV because his guitar is so fucking low in the mix. It would be my favorite U2 album if it weren't for that.

Yeah. Edge is totally the one NOT all over the album, drowning out everyone else.

I'm glad U2girl told us that JT is clearly the better album. So guys, we're all wrong then, as what I remember in all the polls done on here AB always came out winner.

:tsk: I'll hand in my U2 fan card now for giving JT the third spot in my fave U2 albums list.

No, it doesn't have bad mixing, geez. That album sounds near perfect as it is, and apparently the band agrees. I'm not saying Edge's guitar isn't relatively low (it is), but it's right where it needs to be in the overall sound of that record.

It's not my favourite U2 album either (it comes just after TUF and JT), but that has nothing to do w/the (stellar) production of the album.

The Joshua Tree is a better album. AB is overrated in some circles.

AB can keep the title of the "reinvention" record, while JT remains the essential U2 album.

funny-pictures-girl-lion-yells-at-boy-lion.jpg

There's not really much to criticize cuz I also consider it their masterpiece, but if I had to I'd say: I barely listen to So Cruel and never understood the big Acrobat hype.
No need to understand the 'Acrobat' hype -- it exists only with certain core Interference posters (see also, the 'Moment of Surrender' hype).

maybe the temple bar version was the better of the two horses?

maybe the tracklisting could be a little different?

not much bad to say....

Salome is annoying? :hmm:

There's not really much to criticize cuz I also consider it their masterpiece, but if I had to I'd say: I barely listen to So Cruel and never understood the big Acrobat hype. I skip both most of the time.

Again, not saying I dislike the songs because I find myself listening to them every other rotation, but usually they are not my cup of tea.

I'm not sure how one can consider something a masterpiece and then skip parts of it.

The song that blows the album out of the water has to be EBTTRT, while the song that waters everything up So Cruel. Other than that, I got nothing.

The Joshua Tree is a better album. AB is overrated in some circles.

AB can keep the title of the "reinvention" record, while JT remains the essential U2 album.

Agree completely. AB, excellent though it is, has dated somewhat. JT is more akin to a fine wine that matures with age.

Yeah. Edge is totally the one NOT all over the album, drowning out everyone else.
I didn't realize Even Better than the Real Thing had a verse riff until they played it live. Same with the chorus of Zoo Station. I can name other examples if you want to play this game. Or maybe you can just send me a bizarre PM about it and then block me from responding again. That would be the most mature thing to do.
No, it doesn't have bad mixing, geez. That album sounds near perfect as it is, and apparently the band agrees. I'm not saying Edge's guitar isn't relatively low (it is), but it's right where it needs to be in the overall sound of that record.

It's not my favourite U2 album either (it comes just after TUF and JT), but that has nothing to do w/the (stellar) production of the album.
I can't hear Edge's parts half the time. The parts I mentioned above, the mess at the end of UTEOTW, the mess at the end of The Fly, Bono drowning him out on Love Is Blindness, etc.

The production is far from stellar. It's not "right where it needs to be." ZooTV's mixing is right where it needs to be.

Didn't Edge do the final mix of the album?

I dunno, you can make the argument either way. Yeah, maybe the guitars could have been more prominent on a few tracks, but then again the band were very conscious at the time of not being too far out with their new release. And also Edge's guitar is all over the thing, from start to finish, and I think maybe they wanted to emphasize the rhythm section a bit more.

They don't have to worry as much about pleasing casual fans live, whereas an album in the early 90s could be purchased by 10 million people and thus risks a lot by being too heavy, distorted, or industrial-sounding. But then again, "The Fly" was the first single and it wasn't exactly hiding the guitar.

So Cruel bores me to tears. UTEOTW is rather tame compared to the live versions and I only really love One when it's played live as well - I've never been a fan of Bono's vocals on the original. Overall, the album for me consists of some of my most loved U2 songs ever and songs that I don't really care much for.

I didn't realize Even Better than the Real Thing had a verse riff until they played it live. Same with the chorus of Zoo Station. I can name other examples if you want to play this game. Or maybe you can just send me a bizarre PM about it and then block me from responding again. That would be the most mature thing to do.

I can't hear Edge's parts half the time. The parts I mentioned above, the mess at the end of UTEOTW, the mess at the end of The Fly, Bono drowning him out on Love Is Blindness, etc.

The production is far from stellar. It's not "right where it needs to be." ZooTV's mixing is right where it needs to be.

Well, of course you're entitled to your opinion...you want to hear more guitar, I understand that. But the band obviously disagrees...when they had the chance to change the mix of the album this year, they didn't, and Edge himself said they were very happy w/the sound of the record.

We do agree that the songs sound better live, and I generally prefer the live versions of the AB songs...but that doesn't reflect disappointment with how AB is mixed...I generally think most U2 songs sound better live.

Back
Top Bottom