Santiago Setlist Party

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I was kind of glad I didn't attend the setlist party (had stuff to do) - wasn't much of a surprise.

I did see many videos of last night's show - and well, it wasn't Bono's night. He forgot many lyrics (more than usual) including the complete third verse during UTEOTW, which I found funny. He also looked jet-lagged (he arrived in Santiago on Thursday) That was a ramshackle version of One Tree Hill, unfortunately. No Mothers of the Disappeared, other than a snippet before Streets? That's surprising.

On the positive side, the show was greatly recieved by the Chilean community and it was sold out - despite the ticket prices. Hope the Argentineans and Brazilians get great (if not better) shows as well.

Can i just say what a version of UTEOTW, just utter wow, but yes lets carry on and focus on all the negative stuff about U2, thats what U2 fandom is all about.

"Utter wow", are you serious? I'm trying to think of a time when Bono's fucked up UTEOTW more spectacularly, and I can't.

Axver said:
"Utter wow", are you serious? I'm trying to think of a time when Bono's fucked up UTEOTW more spectacularly, and I can't.

Yep seriously i really enjoyed the version, but hey ho thats just me

Plus I'd remember the 26 December 1989 bonus verse.

:up: I seriously doubt they will ever top that live version of the song. Obviously they were playing it consistantly on Lovetown, had the song down, and it just went off that night. Edge's solo and Bono's improvised lyrics at the end is just one of those goosebump kind of moments.

I will say, like I said before in this thread. Edge is playing the solo very well from the few versions they have done on 360. Bono just needs to get his vocals together and it could approach being as good as the "routine" version on Lovetown. Unfortunately wont happen. I think we may have heard the last of One Tree Hill on this tour. Hopefully they play MOTD in full at most, if not all, of the remaining SA shows. I keep saying it, Instanbul gets a full version and Chile gets none of it???? It is mind boggling even for U2 which are pretty predictable on setlists.

:up: I seriously doubt they will ever top that live version of the song. Obviously they were playing it consistantly on Lovetown, had the song down, and it just went off that night. Edge's solo and Bono's improvised lyrics at the end is just one of those goosebump kind of moments.

I will say, like I said before in this thread. Edge is playing the solo very well from the few versions they have done on 360. Bono just needs to get his vocals together and it could approach being as good as the "routine" version on Lovetown. Unfortunately wont happen. I think we may have heard the last of One Tree Hill on this tour. Hopefully they play MOTD in full at most, if not all, of the remaining SA shows. I keep saying it, Instanbul gets a full version and Chile gets none of it???? It is mind boggling even for U2 which are pretty predictable on setlists.

Totally agree with all of this. Especially wish Bono would just let Edge rock out the solo in peace, rather than yelling crap over the top. There's time to give the dedications and bullshit at the END.

Probably the only chance we have of getting One Tree Hill again is at the third shows in La Plata and Sao Paulo, but that's a pretty massive outside chance. More likely they'll just do AIWIY or whatever.

Hopefully they play MOTD in full at most, if not all, of the remaining SA shows.

I really hope not. Buenos Aires got MOTD on Popmart AND Vertigo. We're sensitive to the issue, they've already made the point. Enough. There's a score of other songs most of us here would rather want to hear. Even if we got AIWIY last time, personally I'd rather go for this one anytime.

Did you ever begin to think that maybe the band had a good reason for not playing MOTD? I spoke to a few Chileans who were at the show in 1998. When MOTD was played, it was very unpopular with about half of those in attendance. The protested by booing or walking out due to the political nature of the song. It was a very controversial moment. U2 is popular with both the right and the left in Chile. Considering what happened in the past, I think that it was best not to perform the song. They chose to play OTH and the snippet of MOTD to honor Jara and the victims of the dictatorship.

Sometimes U2 fans are very critical of the bands choices without considering that there might be specific reasons behind there decisions. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

:lol: Also the first time they have played SA without playing "at least" a full acoustic version of MOTD. What they did with it at this show was weak and lazy, sorry. OTH is outstanding if they play it and musically it was fantastic, I even said it was the one encouraging thing about the setlist. Originally they had a full version of MOTD and the Stingray intro on the setlist with OTH also. They changed it back to what they did the most recently other than OTH (which was still a butcher job of the song vocally) at the last minute. Its called playing it safe and not wanting to rehearse. I still think they may do MOTD in full in SA. But Chile gets one show and they did not really get it. Surprising and a little disappointing even from a U2 perspective. I'm sure the show was still great, but it could be better and MOTD should be played there just like OTH in New Zealand. Seriously, Instanbul gets a full band MOTD and Chile just gets a few chords of it in the Streets intro? Doesn't fit, it appears to be laziness by the band. Bono hates rehearsing and it appears MOTD was axed for Chile as a result.

Fortunately they are playing multiple shows at the remaining cities in SA. Which could mean some change or a few variations as they will have more soundcheck time. So anything is possible, I'm just saying this setlist is not encouraging (other than OTH as I mentioned) based on this particular show.

Did you ever begin to think that maybe the band had a good reason for not playing MOTD? I spoke to a few Chileans who were at the show in 1998. When MOTD was played, it was very unpopular with about half of those in attendance. The protested by booing or walking out due to the political nature of the song. It was a very controversial moment. U2 is popular with both the right and the left in Chile. Considering what happened in the past, I think that it was best not to perform the song. They chose to play OTH and the snippet of MOTD to honor Jara and the victims of the dictatorship.

Sometimes U2 fans are very critical of the bands choices without considering that there might be specific reasons behind there decisions. Give them the benefit of the doubt.

They played Mothers of the Disappeared in 2006 as well. Chill.

And I'm pretty sure it went down well in 2006 when it was played there. So your "theory" is out the window right there. The 1998 version they had some of the actual mothers onstage making statements during the song, THAT was what appeared to not be popular, not the song itself. So yeah, I thought about it. :wave:

And I'm pretty sure it went down well in 2006 when it was played there. So your "theory" is out the window right there. The 1998 version they had some of the actual mothers onstage making statements during the song, THAT was what appeared to not be popular, not the song itself. So yeah, I thought about it. :wave:

My bad... I thought that MOTD was only played in Santiago in 1998. I should have verified the setlist archive before posting. I did talk at length with two individuals who were at the concert in 1998 and both talked of how controversial the performance was then.

I am suprised that the song did not make an appearance in Argentina on this leg, especially after it was played three times on the third leg in Europe. The band must have had a good reason for not doing so. Setlist bashing gets a bit tiring at times. These songs are after all primarly for fans who do not get the opportunity to go to multiple shows.

Back
Top Bottom