Rumor: Band is already discussing date release and maybe new single out this year!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BoyOnTheHorizon

Refugee
It's on U2Miracle from U2Brasil :U2 // Brasil - Larry Mullen Jr - Adam Clayton - Bono - The Edge - BOMBA!! Banda discute rumos de lan�amentos!

They are in London right now(i think these days) with executives from Universal Music discussing the date release and possible formats for the album, according a source from Hotpress.

The album is finished and the focus of this meeting is the formats: Double Album, or regular Album with a B-sides cd, regular album with b-sides avaliable on-line and so on...

There are some doubts about which song should be the new single: a more typical U2 sound or a "new sound" music. Supposedly there are two new videos ready.
About the date the source from Hotpress says that some of the band members are in favour of a late year release of the new single and they have full support from Universal.

Nothing official but most of it makes perfect sense. :applaud:

I don't trust Hot Press as far as I can throw them. Which, if you've seen how spindly I am, isn't all that far.

Here's hoping, but I'm not :combust:ing over this yet.

I'm calling bullshit on the whole double album thing.

How could they hold back the release of the album due to a couple of solid songs (according to Jimmy Iovine in a recent article) and then debate over whether or not you want to release a double album or not??? If they truly had enough songs to make ONE solid album, then we would have had it by the proposed November date. Then they could have worked on the second half of the album and released it at a later date.
Doesn't make sense one bit.

I still think the single could be out this year...but that would mean that we'd hear something regarding the release of said single two weeks prior at the very least, which would mean this upcoming week. Only time will tell.

Forget the b sides cd. Go for the double album. Do something different.

Forget the double album. It's not different.

Forget the b-sides CD---that essentially means you're releasing a regular version and a deluxe version, and you're acknowledging that the second disc is likely to be lesser quality.

Pull an AB/Zooropa deal: give us a kick-ass album and then mid-tour or mid-year, release another album or EP that the world over sees as a bonus and be in awe of if it's fantastic or simply impressed with if it's good despite being so close to the kick-ass album.

I'm calling bullshit on the whole double album thing.

How could they hold back the release of the album due to a couple of solid songs (according to Jimmy Iovine in a recent article) and then debate over whether or not you want to release a double album or not??? If they truly had enough songs to make ONE solid album, then we would have had it by the proposed November date. Then they could have worked on the second half of the album and released it at a later date.
Doesn't make sense one bit.

I still think the single could be out this year...but that would mean that we'd hear something regarding the release of said single two weeks prior at the very least, which would mean this upcoming week. Only time will tell.

+1.

BS. No double album.

i don't care what format it's in. but i'm very excited to possibly hear the 1st single this month! :hyper:

I'm going out and saying the new single will be beach clip #3, the one most like Vertigo. If not that, than it will be somethinhg also very "rocking" blah blah.

I'm intrigued by the comment about releasing a single that is more "U2 sounding" vs. "new sounding".

Hmmm.....wonder which ones they are referring to?????:hmm:

well the it Might Get Loud film already revealed that Get On your Boots was the planned first single.. I would venture that's the U2 sounding tune :hmm:

Forget the double album. It's not different.

Forget the b-sides CD---that essentially means you're releasing a regular version and a deluxe version, and you're acknowledging that the second disc is likely to be lesser quality.

Pull an AB/Zooropa deal: give us a kick-ass album and then mid-tour or mid-year, release another album or EP that the world over sees as a bonus and be in awe of if it's fantastic or simply impressed with if it's good despite being so close to the kick-ass album.

This.

There will not be a double album, but I could see this happening. Plus, it's preferable on all counts.

This.

There will not be a double album, but I could see this happening. Plus, it's preferable on all counts.

Yep.

It's hard to make a good double album - in fact, I would say I'm yet to hear one, though I know fans of certain artists I dislike would disagree with me there. Whatever the case, though, it's hard to deny double albums are looked upon more skeptically than single albums, with an expectation there will be filler and an expectation the band are being a bit over-blown and indulgent when they could have made a tighter, more coherent single album without weak tracks.

And as much as I wish U2's singles had plenty of b-sides, I wouldn't want that to come at the expense of a proper EP or second album or anything like that, because then they'd just disappear into the ether, likely never get the popular or live attention they deserve, etc.

After a "five year" gap (we know it's 4.5 years, but the general public will think "2004 to 2009", and really, 4.5 isn't much different anyway), there is an expectation that U2 will come back with a decent amount of material. At the end of the day, I just hope they release more than an 11 track regular album + 1 region-specific bonus track + 1-2 original b-sides deal. A 10-12 track album, 3-4 b-sides, and a second album or EP all in one year would certainly bring the spotlight strongly back on U2.

Sounds like a winner to me.

Agreed, ps333. Makes no sense at all that they were a couple songs short a little while ago, and now they're considering a double album release. My BS detector just went off the charts.

A 12 song CD, preceded by a "rockin" first single, folllowed by an "innovative" album that sounds like Bomb meets Passengers.

Watch it happen.

It'll be nice to have a new single before January, regardless of the form the album takes. :hyper: I, personally, am hoping for a double album or two albums released close together. I don't like the whole B-sides thing. They might as well just have a two-disc deluxe edition if they're going to have extras that aren't an actual album.

I highly doubt there's going to be a single out before January, I'd be astonished if it happened. As for the double album thing...meh, I'd rather have another AB/Zooropa type deal. And :down: on the B-sides.

As much as I WANT a double album I'm convinced we won't get one. I don't think b-sides are likely either (sadly physical singles are not as relevant as they were in 1987 when we got 7 awesome b-sides).

We all know U2 and Paul McGuinness prefer releasing material in November. With this album most likely coming out in Feb/Mar I expect we'll see the "leftover" songs used as either a 6-7 track EP in time for Christmas 2009 (to keep momentum mid-tour) or a full album in Christmas 2010.

Back
Top Bottom