recreational drug story from zootv?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Because if he were, I don't know how he'd be able to be with his family, go on tours and play night after night, and do all the Africa work.
These kind of things about celebrities get out quickly, I don't see how he'd hide it, with the exposure he has in the media.

Also, he is said to be alergic to red wine which causes him to dose off.

Last edited:
One of the greatest aspects of U2, to me, is the projected image of not giving into the cliche'.
As for the alcohol thing, I suppose if it were something that gets out of hand (ie: harm to self or others) and is left untreated then, yes, it would also taint my view of them as well.
There are just somethings that I don't care to know about my heroes, even if that makes me blind to the truth.

Adam's bass tech played bass the night he didn't, and did a pretty good job I guess from the U2 book. Edge had to nod at him so he knew when to change bass lines, but he pulled it off well, I guess.

beli said:
What about alcohol? Alcohols a drug. What if Bono, for example, was consuming excessively ?

There doesn't seem to be the stigma attached to heavy drinking as there is to other drug use. I personally think it's an odd double standard.

Depends on what they mean by 'cafe.' 'Coffee shops' in Amsterdam, for instance, are not places known for their coffee, but for their marijuana. So perhaps it was that kind of 'cafe.'

-Miggy

I would guess....bono is no shane mcgowan- he obviously knows now how to pace himself and not get plowed
he looks so good and has so much energy - people burn out but not him..same goes for the rest of the band-

i flew to chicago last week for a funeral and became ill- from the plane or stress -I dont know what it was...but i just couldnt fathom how people became used to the lifestyle of jettin here and there-

i just suck

I think some people here have been smoking too much hash if they think that hes speaking about the drug in that statement.

lazarus said:
I say more power to 'em. We all know that some of rock and roll's greatest artists experimented with or were even addicted to drugs. Every jazz great I can think of used drugs. It may hurt the people in the long run but it definitely has a positive effect on the music.

laz

that is the dumbest thing I've ever read on this board.

Miles Davis and John Coltrane, two of the greatest Jazz artists in history, were at their peak when they were clean and sober.

The music is in the person making it, not the drug. I'm not being all anti drug here, because I've tried some myself. I can assure you though that anyone who think drugs lead to good music is sorrily mistaken. Charlie Parker said so himself.

david said:

Edge tried mushrooms one night (according to the book) and locked himself in his hotel room and apparently discovered the secret of the universe then recorded it into a tape recorder. He played it back the next day and all he could hear was jibberish.

Hmmm....I just finished reading the book and I don't remember reading anything about the Edge and mushrooms. I would read it late at night before I'd go to sleep so it is very possible that I skipped it. Do you remember the circumstances surrounding it? I don't want to have to go back and search for it.

Wasn't there a recent HTDAAB interview with the band, where Adam makes some kind of comment about smoking and his voice, and Bono looks over to Adam and says "yeah, but at least my vices are legal"?

Did you check my link? Its food! You can read right there.

Swedish Hash (Put-in-the-Pan)
Serves 4
600 g Swedish Hash (8-10 medium sized potatoes, 1 onion, approx 150g cooked beef, finely diced)
90 g Sliced pickled beet root
4 Salted gherkins
20 g Butter
Grated horse radish

Fry the hash in a frying pan or in the oven with some butter. Divide onto four plates. Slice the gherkins length wise and put on plates, add the sliced beet root. Sprinkle some grated horse radish on top.

One of Sweden’s most popular “every day” dish which may be served with a fried egg, if you so wish, and a dash of Worchester- or HP-sauce.

http://www.foodfromsweden.com/recipes/cats.asp?cat=2&rid=19

This is a topic I have speculated on for a long time. I really think U2 has done more drugs than they let on. Lemme cite some reasons:

1. Flanagan's book tells a story of Bono smoking weed in 1976 or so, during high school.

2. The UF documentary has a snippet of Adam couched out, with a sign saying something like "Do not disturb for 20 minutes for 4:20" 4:20 means a weed break.

3. Adam had 18 grams of pot. That's a lot. Just WHO do you think he bought all that for?

4. Edge definitely did mushrooms. In fact, a lot of his guitar effects from that era are VERY trippy. They make me wonder what state he was in when he came up with them. Listen to the guitar after the solo in UTEOTW, or the Fly solo itself.

5. I'm almost certain Bono is on cocaine when he's MacPhisto at Sydney. He keeps sniffing and rubbing his nose (and catching himself WANTING to rub his nose). Also, his eyes are weird.

6. Circumstantial quotes that don't come down clearly one way or the other. The shades, the avoidance of the questions...

7. They transition from a heroin song into WTSHNN very often. Infact, in Bad he now repeats "isolation, revelation" over and over to describe the experience. And at Sydney, he "shoots up" in RTSS, then repeats "Hallelujah," then goes into the heavenly glory of WTSHNN. Hmm...

8. The discoteque video. Case closed.

What do you all think of this evidence?

1. Flanagan's book tells a story of Bono smoking weed in 1976 or so, during high school.

i've read the book many times, and i've never seen this part. what page?

Dr. Lemonseed said:
2. The UF documentary has a snippet of Adam couched out, with a sign saying something like "Do not disturb for 20 minutes for 4:20" 4:20 means a weed break.

I don't know either way but is 4:20 something universally known as a "weed break" or is it more of an American thing?

1. Key words being "high school" I'm guessing. Some people try things in that time, only to never do it again.

2. Could have been a joke sign for all we know.

3. As we said and we know, Adam had problems with alcohol and drugs. It's impossible to have any evidence he bought marijuana for U2.

4. Guitar sounds aren't proof either.

5. I never say Sydney but it's likely a part of his acting out of Macphisto. With losing friends over heroin, you really think he'd be interested in heavy drugs?

6. Here's a quote from Edge, on playing under influence of drugs: "We heard from other bands they're out of it all the time, so we tried it in '76, but it was such a horrendous experience we wowed to each other we'd never do it again."
Since you brought up Until the end of the world, isn't there also a story about Bono being offered sex/heroin in some house, but he refuses both and sleeps on the floor?

7. ...and this is proof because...?

8. not really.

Last edited:
No matter what the truth is about U2's history with illicit drugs, it's not up to us to insinuate that Bono or any of them is "on cocaine" or any other substance without more proof than he's rubbing his nose!

I'm not a purist, but the thing that's important about U2 is not the stumbles that they have had in life, but in their REMARKABLE ABILITY TO RESURRECT THEMSELVES after a fall. :angel:

Let's concentrate on facts and not fiction.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:hug:

Speaking of Flanagan's book, there is a story in it about how Bono won't let someone on the tour give him a massage because her new age theories go against his christiainity. now, i have a hard time believing if the man wouldn't even have a massage that he'd be doing drugs but what do i know? I guess what I'm saying is we won't ever know.

I don't own the book, I checked it out of the library. But it's VERY brief, actually a recounting of Bono telling a story about skipping school with a friend and maybe smoking a joint. I'm sure some other folks here are more qualified with this knowledge.

For a Swede this thread is absolutely Hillarious......I can confirm that he was eating, not smoking....Because there is no way of getting away with that in a public place here....

And we do not have the sort of coffeeshops that there is in the Netherlands.
Drug laws are very tight.

Problem solved.

:laugh:

The dish is called Pyttipanna.....Put-in-the-pan in english....:)

Last edited:
Dr. Lemonseed said:

5. I'm almost certain Bono is on cocaine when he's MacPhisto at Sydney. He keeps sniffing and rubbing his nose (and catching himself WANTING to rub his nose). Also, his eyes are weird.

I also sniff and rub my nose a lot. Sometimes, I catch myself wanting to rub my nose. This is because, like our leader, I smoke cigars, and not because I am on cocaine. Case closed!

Dr. Lemonseed said:

That wasn't Adam, that was Danny Lanois.

agree....sleeper on couch was Danny.
Also, Bono's drug of choice is Love of mankind.
Larry's is motorcycles, and Edge, well, give Edge a new electronic toy and he's as high as a kite.
Adam loves being in the band.
Happy holidays, all!

i'm sure they've used it a few times back in the 70's, but a band can't be as successful as U2 (sticking together for 25 years, rigorous tour schedules, etc. . .) and be addicted to drugs. I don't think its that big a deal with them. Bono seems to know about how bad drugs are, considering the stories behind Bad and Running to Stand Still. And gutiar sounds are not proof that the guitarist is high or stoned.

ah yes fair enough. I didn't mean to suggest they ever were addicted, just that I think they've tried enough to know what they do, and certainly could speak of drug experiences without merely having to speculate.

elfyx said:
Wasn't there a recent HTDAAB interview with the band, where Adam makes some kind of comment about smoking and his voice, and Bono looks over to Adam and says "yeah, but at least my vices are legal"?

yes - that was in the 'Q' interview.... made me raise my eyebrows too, given how Adam seems to have strictly gone away from weed, tobacco, caffeine and alcohol.

discothequeLP said:
I read an Edge quote from @U2.com I think where Edge said that back in the 70s they decided to play a show completely stoned. He said it was a complete mess. Haha. awesome

Edge was talking about them all being drunk in this instance, not stoned.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom