Reading? Still Sexy: Books Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues by Tom Robbins

Oh, sooooo disappointing. I loved the first half, and then *whistle sound* it completely lost me.

The Brightest Star In the Sky by Marian Keyes

Oh, but I love her books. This one had an annoying framing device to start and finish, and had a "countdown" gimmick throughout, but the story and characters were, as usual, wonderful.

I read the entirety of Frankenstein yesterday. It was OK, but I did a lot of skimming. Paragraphs of self-loathing padded the thing out unreasonably.

Also, I think "reverie" is my least favorite word in the English language. If I ever use it in a novel, chop my hands off.

By far my favorite part was Frankenstein's monster describing what happened to him after he broke free. I like that mankind made him the way he was, as well as the concept of him being a shadow of man, in the same way that we are a shadow of God. A lot of good ideas there, it was just too depressing for my tastes (this is of course coming from the same guy who loved The Bell Jar).

I read Alice's Adventures In Wonderland the other night. What a mindfuck. A good one.

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Coast Trail by Cheryl Strayed.

The true story of a woman in her late twenties who loses her mother to cancer, falls into a downward spiral because of it, and decides to hike the Pacific Coast Trail alone from California to Oregon. She has very little hiking experience but sets out anyway. Her underestimation of herself and the power of nature makes for an incredible story of self-discovery and redemption. The author is brutally honest and makes no apologies -- which in my opinion is the best kind of writing. I loved this book.

LemonMelon said:
Also, I think "reverie" is my least favorite word in the English language. If I ever use it in a novel, chop my hands off.

Stay away from elves, and you should never have a reason to use the word. Hell, even then you could just break from that and have them sleep like humans...

The Booster by Jennifer Solow

Annoying girl loves to shoplift, because she didn't get enough love as a kid or something. Ends up involved with a big crime ring.

Ehhhhhhhh.

The girl's family owns this department store in Manhattan, however, and the descriptions about the store (past and present) were nifty. Made me want to go to this fictional store. But not shoplift.

In Search of the Spanish Trail: Santa Fe to Los Angeles 1829-1848, by C. Gregory Crampton and Steven K. Madsen

Bitchin' guidebook cum scholarly-ish book mapping out the Spanish Trail, which was a pack road from New Mexico to California a few years ago. It's broken up into sections, each discussing a part of the trail, with maps and photos. It appears that that book was written in the late 70s, but updated sometime in the 90s. I really liked it.

I somehow moved out of childhood without having read The Phantom Tollbooth. A few months ago, someone had set a copy of it in the kitchen at work, marked as free for the taking. So I took.

It was cute. There were a few turns of phrase that made me laugh out loud, which is always a delightful thing.

Bossypants by Tina Fey

I was a little worried at first that it wasn't going to live up to its hype, but once she got through the awkward childhood bits and landed in adulthood and joining Second City in Chicago, it was great. Laughed a lot.

I'm reading a book called The Pathfinder that's supposed to help you find your dream job. The first section was basically an infomercial about how the book works, so I skipped a lot of that. The second part is more interesting so far.

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling

I loved this. I liked it even more than Tina Fey's book. I was reading it in bed last night and there was a part that made me cry with laughter. I kept giggling about it for a good 10 minutes after I'd put the book down and laid down to go to sleep.

Pony Express, by Fred Reinfeld.
I liked this, even though it was a bit hackish. He did use cliches, and the mild racism of the mid-60s was a bit annoying. ("Savages" gets old after a while. Why not just "Indians"?) He started with the Gold Rush and California's statehood as a reason for the need for a quicker way to communicate between the east and the west. The book seemed complete for its size.

The Best of Grand Canyon Nature Notes 1926-1935, edited by Susan Lamb
She claims to have "lightly edited" these, but there were ellipses all over the place. Anyway, the Grand Canyon naturalists and rangers published Nature Notes for almost a decade between the wars, and this book collects them into themed chapters. They are quirky, and frequently charming, observations about the natural world of the Grand Canyon. The naturalists love their bugs and birds and mammals, and they write affectionately about them. I really liked this.

Roughly 10 years ago I went to a RB book signing with a friend, who had brought with him a book about writing that meant a lot to him personally. When we got to the table, the handler told us that Bradbury didn't sign paperbacks. But Bradbury looked at the title and my friend and said "This one I'll be happy to sign."

A special guy.

Therese Raquin by Emile Zola

A dark, disturbing book about a pair of lovers whose passion drives them to murder that haunts them both for ever. Very uninhibited, vivid, macabre story, with some revolting graphic descriptions that made me glad about the fact that I don't visualise much when I'm reading. I was intrigued to learn that there's a movie in the works, with Elizabeth Olsen as Therese; could be interesting.

That's sad news about Ray Bradbury :( His books were a huge part of my adolescence, I absolutely love his unique writing style.

I just saw the news after reading The Pedestrian. Wow. I loved his work.

RIP to a brilliant author and brilliant mind.

Re-reading U2 At the End of the World for about the millionth time. But other than that, just finished some really interesting medical anthropology ethnographies. I won't bore you with them though...*anthro nerd*

and I have a kindle, and am in love with it

Another Country by James Baldwin

Had never heard of this book or this author, but I guess in some circles it's considered an American classic? Can't remember where I stumbled across a mention of it.

Anyway, written in the early '60s, it tackles race, love and sexuality in New York City. The author gets a little wordy at times, but the writing is gorgeous, and I really liked it.

I saw a documentary on Baldwin on PBS some years ago, and was so captivated I wound up picking up a handful of titles on a couple trips to used book stores. I've since only read one, can't even remember which. But I have that one and need to check it out, as I remember it being one of his most important works. Another one that sounded really good was Giovanni's Room.

Currently I'm getting deep into Cloud Atlas in anticipation of the film. Anyone else here read this yet?

Yeah, I just went to Amazon to see what else he had written - a ton! I added a book of his essays to my "to read" list.

I read a lot of James Baldwin when I was in college. I think Giovanni's Room was my favorite. Go Tell It On the Mountain, If Beale Street Could talk were also favorites of mine. I enjoyed his essays too. I usually stay away from the essays of novelists (cause they are often wretched), but Baldwin was different. He opened my eyes to a lot of worlds, both brutally and gorgeously.

I think he had the same type of effect on me as Tennessee Williams did.

The Madonnas of Leningrad by Debra Dean

The narrator is descending into Alzheimer's, and her long-repressed memories of her time being sheltered in the Hermitage during the Siege of Leningrad are becoming confused with her present day life.

It was a quick read, but honestly, for such heavy subject matter (on both ends), it felt very slight. I wanted it to be better.

There's a brief author's note at the end where she talks about visiting Russia and the Hermitage after finishing the book, and she had some great things to say about expectations of travel, when you go to see a place/thing in person after studying it for so long.

I was also struck by her comments on the Russians she met, and their relation to history, vs Americans' relation to our own history. And then she said something that surprised me, because while this was something I knew, I don't think I'd learned about it in school - she met a Russian woman who was a child of the Cold War like the author, and was of course surprised to later learn that Americans weren't complete monsters like they'd been led to believe from the Cold War. And, of course, vice versa.

Obvious, of course, but it was striking to read that, and about how the Russians helped defeat Hitler, but as American schoolchildren, that was glossed over for a long time (still, I suppose, unless you're studying the war more in depth), probably because it didn't jive with the whole Cold War story the government had created.

Anyway, I'm rambling. I was speeding through the book, just not really caring, but after reading that author's note at the end, I realize I'm more interested in the history itself, and should have gone right to some nonfiction about the siege, rather than a fictional version of it.

I might have some history recommendations I can dig up for you. I used to be a Russian history nerd. Sadly, the only thing I've ever used my college degree for was to yell at some drunk Russian girls who thought it was really funny that we needed to use the elevator and they weren't letting the door close (I was at work on a call in this scumbag apartment building down town). I told them to shut up and shut the door. The look on their faces was fucking priceless.

yeah, would love a few recommendations. Thanks!

I've heard that recent Catherine the Great book is supposed to be really good; that's already on my list.

:up: That's the kind of nonfiction I like.

The Losers Club by Richard Perez

Poet looks for love via singles ads in late (?) 1990s NYC. But gee, isn't the girl he's really looking for his best friend?

It had some lovely bits and I liked the guy's writing, but it rates a "meh" overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom