Reading? Still Sexy: Books Part IV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It takes me so long to read a book. 15 minutes here. 15 minutes there. I used to read so much (English major) A little fiction here. A little nonfiction there. I'm so picky anymore. I have to write on my To Do List: Finish a fucking book. Watch a fucking movie.

It takes me so long to read a book. 15 minutes here. 15 minutes there. I used to read so much (English major) A little fiction here. A little nonfiction there. I'm so picky anymore. I have to write on my To Do List: Finish a fucking book. Watch a fucking movie.

Ditto. Current book I've just started is Helter Skelter- The True Story of the Manson Murders. Certainly get some strange looks when I'm reading it in public. Will I finish it? Un-fucking-likely. Like movies. I've started many, but get about 20-30 minutes in and just give up.

Only time I'll actually sit through a movie is if I go see it at the cinema. I figure if I paid to see it, I should sit through it. I've got a crap ton of blu-ray discs and DVDs that I've purchased and have either made it part way through, haven't watched or are still in the plastic wrapping.

Lisey's Story by Stephen King

I smucking loved it!

And am relieved ... I have a hardcover copy that's signed, and I would have hated to not like the book .... and yet still feel the need to hang onto it because it's signed. Ha.

After the Plague and Other Stories by T. C. Boyle

I've read two other books of his that I both liked a lot; this short story collection was very good as well.

Cloud Atlas: maybe the best book I've read published after Infinite Jest.

I'm pretty speechless. Just spent the last 20 minutes skimming through someone's thesis written about it.

So much to turn over in my head, but what a profound, funny, ingenious, and occasionally moving work.

And I just ordered another book by author David Mitchell because I need to read more of this guy's stuff ASAP.

Do not miss this one.

Infinite Jest

I really want to read this book. It's fucking massive, but I'll start it soon. Got it on my desktop.

I've heard of Cloud Atlas. I was told I write like David Mitchell (and David Foster Wallace) by that Who Do I Write Like generator, which means nothing to me at this stage, but I intend to change that.

I'd take on Cloud Atlas first. The genre-jumping every 30 pages or so keeps things fresh.

Infinite Jest is a bit of a commitment. The first 100+ pages are a challenge, though once you get into it the thing is hard to put down. And it's really, really, funny.

Desert Wife, by Hilda Faunce

I've had this for years, but it has such a plain name and such a cheesy 80s cover that I hadn't picked it out of the book case to read before now. Big mistake. Hilda Faunce married into the Weatherill family, the huge family of Southwest ranchers, traders, and amateur archeologists. She's changed names due to a divorce, but this is her story of living on a trading post on the Navajo Reservation in the years just before World War 1. Her husband worked for Hubbell, of Hubbell Trading Post fame, and they lived out west of Chinle, Arizona on their post for about 4 years. She had written letters to a relative and this book was developed by her later from those letters, so it's newsy and personal. She follows Najavo families through the years and tells their stories. Several times her and her husband's lives were in danger from misunderstandings with the Navajo. It was really fascinating.

Uncle Sam's Camels, edited by Lewis Burt Lesley

This is a facsimile of the 1927 book, but with a new foreward. It's two journals, written on the 1857-1858 exploration of a western road through Arizona. Lt. Edward F. Beale was also experimentimg with a large herd of camels to see how they adapted to the Southwest region. They adapted very well, and he enthusiastically recommended them for further use. Then the pesky Civil War happened, along with the railroad, and nobody gave a shit about camels anymore. The first part of the book is the journal of a young man along for the adventure. His journal is interesting. Beale's report is a little dry and repetitive. He did love those camels, though.

I realize that the modern editor(s) were doing the whole facsimile thing, but would it have killed them to get a decent cartographer? The only map included was apparently the one Beale drew. It's not very good. I've been over much of this country and it would have been fun and waaaayyy more interesting to have a decent map included.

The Submission by Amy Waldman

A Muslim American wins the competition to design the 9/11 memorial. You can guess what happens next.

It was very good, but often uncomfortable, and unfortunately a bit preachy at times.

Rock and Roll Will Save Your Life by Steve Almond

I am such a sucker for a book about being a music nut. (John Sellers' Perfect From Now On is also highly recommended.)

Mr. Almond calls them himself us Drooling Fanatics. In a loving way, of course.

Some great stuff in here, some hilarious bits, and I even laughed at his U2 dig (roughly, he was disappointed that they weren't stuck in the lemon long enough to start eating each other).

Off to check out some of the artists he discusses at length: Ike Reilly, Boris McCutcheon, and Dayna Kurtz.

I'm reading Moby Dick for the first time.

I got that and I tried reading it, the problem is that I got it in English and English is not my first language so I was having a hard time with it. That, and besides I wasn't in the mood for a book like that so I'm putting it on hold.

I'm curious to know if its a somewhat challenging book to read for a native English speaking person, being a book that was written so many years ago.

I do find that books written a long time ago are harder/slower for me to get through, just because the style is so different. I struggled to get through some of the Austen books, even though I did enjoy them.

Thats pretty much kidnapped and treasure island for me when I was a kid. I tried to read those books, even made it through most of kidnapped. But fuck were they the most boring adventure books I've ever read, and dull slow reads I always attributed to style because theyre old more than anything else. I just wanted to read shit like Jurassic park, and my mom kept finding "classics" for me.

I also find it hard to read classic books. I tried reading Dracula and The Lord of the Rings, but found them boring, and the writing and dialogue too difficult to follow. I'd like to read some really ancient works, such as Plato and such, but if the language is hard to follow, I might pass on them.

So far the writing is very colorful and Melville used the term "old school" and "tricked herself forth" when describing the ship. I had to laugh. I usually enjoy classic books, but most of them that I've read have been written by British authors, so reading one by an American author is a little different; I can tell a difference in tone, in that it's less formal. It's actually had some really funny parts in it so far.

The way I look at classic books is that they were written when people didn't have much else to do, so they didn't mind if it was really long and wordy. It takes a little more effort for us today to have enough patience to read them, but most classic books are worth the effort and it's good exercise for the mind to read something more complicated now and then. With the really ancient ones, there are usually several different translations available, and the more modern ones are easier to handle than versions translated 100 or more years ago. I have an excellent version of Le Morte d'Arthur that was a smooth read for such an old story because it was translated/edited in 1962. I'll have to post a pic sometime of my Signet Classics shelf.

See, i liked lord of the rings and the hobbit and didn't have an issue there. And of course, none of this changes how absolutely awesome Oscar Wilde is. I think I just hated Robert Lewis stevenson, to be honest.

"Well, at least people are still buying books," she said, striving for optimism through clenched teeth.

The publishers saw $$$$ in their eyes, and they struck gold. And so did the author - she hit the self-publishing jackpot so many self-published writers dream of. Good for her. No, really!

I hope there is even just a small percentage of people who bought that book who will seek out better written erotica, having realized that they got suckered into spending $12 or whatever on a steaming pile of crap.

Too bad they didn't realize they could find that shit for free on the internet when it was Twilight fanfic called Master of the Universe. I read something today about how there was fanfic being written about 50 Shades, and the author was not thrilled about it. OH THE FUCKING IRONY, IT IS DELICIOUS.

Haha. Ugh. I ink most of my female co-workers have been reading that stuff, I couldn't be less interested. Too many other worth-while books to read out there. Although I guess they have the time, since I've never seen any of them ever read anything else.

Which reminds me of the time I walked into the garage and one of my coworkers was talking about how she hasn't had a lot of time to read since she had her third kid, then something about how no one at work would understand how miserable it is not having the time to read. I said I read books, and she goes "yeah, but I read actual books like Dostoevsky." I think I said something like excuse me, I'm sorry I never finished crime and punishment, but I did read a fair amount of it. In Russian. And I'm sure I've unfortunately read more Tolstoy than the average 20-something year old American, in both English and Russian.

I fucking hate Tolstoy.

I can be a bit of an elitist, and don't really consider people who only read the mass produced same pedestrian mystery story with different names attatched stuff that the Patterson dude slaps his name on, or that Jodi something lady who seems to have nine million books out in the grocery store, to be really big readers, just like people who just listen to any radio station to actually listen to "everything" when the radio plays such a small representation of music. But I'm not implying my literary tastes make me better than them or anything.

Special Topics in Calamity Physics by Marisha Pessl

God, this book was fucking annoying. It was tolerable until about halfway through, and then I just lost patience with it .... although I'd decided I was far enough into it that I'd keep reading.

The plot and, somewhat, the characters, reminded me of Donna Tartt's The Secret History, but this was far, far more annoying.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I enjoyed it, more so than the movie. Which was ok, but you just get so much more detail and background stuff in the book. From what I gathered the other two books aren't as good but I guess I'll read them anyways because now I got the "what happens next??" bug :wink:

I just finished A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway. Such a fantastic book. I can't believe I hadn't read it before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom