Random Music Thread XXXIV: Shouter cares more than you do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know because thugs and criminals.

Dale-Peterson.jpg

I'm going to go ahead and assume he got a semi-famous broad back to the tugboat, but that would make me sick.

You guys have pretty decent taste: The National, LCD Soundsystem, Outkast, Radiohead, REM and U2 all get run into the ground here, and I think it's great. We're generally of the same mind there.

Yeah I love it too. I kind of wish everyone else would post whenever they get a surge of enthusiasm like I do :lol: If only the people I know in real life really loved good music as much as me/we/you(pl.) do. The only instance it's happened is when I was at uni once and the bloke across from me was blaring Kid A. He was getting all these weird looks and laughs but when Motion Picture Soundtrack finished I went over to him and said you're a legend.

If only it had been a hot chick...

I tend to just start new threads when I have those bouts of enthusiasm, but that is not at all to say that I don't mind you going nuts about the shit you like :).

Cool cool cool.

GAF's enthusiasm for Taylor Swift almost made me consider illegally downloading that album and listening to it... but not quite. If my sister had bought it I probably would have listened vicariously.

Just needed to post this somewhere: So I saw Radiohead and U2 back to back the other day. Pretty fucking ace evening really. It's not going to be every day that a single hour of your life is begun with you up at a small stage that's built halfway up a hill, drinking a beer, watching Radiohead play Reckoner as the sun goes down behind the stage, and then that same hour ending with you down in the pit looking up at the full ZooTV effect of seven huge screens flashing the rapid fire words and phrases as U2 really rip into The Fly.

No spoken words said:
You don't need to apologize for it, you should do what you like....but how can you possibly not see how it could be a little annoying to some?

I totally see it. Always did.

Just needed to post this somewhere: So I saw Radiohead and U2 back to back the other day. Pretty fucking ace evening really. It's not going to be every day that a single hour of your life is begun with you up at a small stage that's built halfway up a hill, drinking a beer, watching Radiohead play Reckoner as the sun goes down behind the stage, and then that same hour ending with you down in the pit looking up at the full ZooTV effect of seven huge screens flashing the rapid fire words and phrases as U2 really rip into The Fly.

That's incredible, glad you got to experience that......

I totally see it. Always did.

Fair enough. Thank you for not shooting me dead.

As I've said before, your posts, even the drunk ones, makes it seem like you've never smiled in your entire life.
That's due to a mixture of me being a curmudgeon and me having an irrational aversion to exclamation points. I hate them unless I'm using them sarcastically. I have no idea why.
Well it's probably hard to smile with all that dental shit in the way.
When I still had my braces (I guess five years ago now?) I actually collided with someone during a basketball game and cut them on the shoulder pretty badly with my braces. They were quite the weapon.

That's due to...me having an irrational aversion to exclamation points. I hate them unless I'm using them sarcastically. I have no idea why.

I feel the same way. I think that they are overused in general.

Would it be an unpopular opinion to claim that Darkness on the Edge of Town is Bruce's finest album? I love E Street Shuffle and Born to Run, but Darkness just seems grittier, more versatile, and more mature to my ears.

Far from being my favorite Mastodon song, but this is one of the greatest music videos I've seen in years.

Deathbound

Hilarious.

Would it be an unpopular opinion to claim that Darkness on the Edge of Town is Bruce's finest album? I love E Street Shuffle and Born to Run, but Darkness just seems grittier, more versatile, and more mature to my ears.

Not at all, but I personally find it to be the weakest up to The River. Any album with Factory and Streets of Fire is weaker than Born to Run, which has zero dull filler. There are plenty of great songs on Darkness, but those two just kill the momentum for me, and after the excellent Prove It All Night, the title track doesn't exactly win me back either. First half is stellar.

:up:
I hate you.

Would it be an unpopular opinion to claim that Darkness on the Edge of Town is Bruce's finest album?

Yes, but not nearly as unpopular as it would have been even five or so years back. It has experienced an achingly gradual and subtle critical and popular reappraisal, over the years/decades, and it all came to something of a head with that deluxe re-release package/film/whatever. More people think this way, now, than thought this way, last year; I have no reason to think it won't be the same way, next year.

Anyway, great fucking album. I still dislike the general sound of their albums from this era, but the songs remain, by and large, amazing.

Not at all, but I personally find it to be the weakest up to The River. Any album with Factory and Streets of Fire is weaker than Born to Run, which has zero dull filler. There are plenty of great songs on Darkness, but those two just kill the momentum for me, and after the excellent Prove It All Night, the title track doesn't exactly win me back either. First half is stellar.

No love for Streets of Fire? That's one of my favorites on the album.

I suppose that I find Born to Run a bit too grandiose. I know that it is intended to keep the foot on the gas for the whole running time, but by the time I come to Jungleland and there are still seven or eight solos going on, I've grown a bit weary of the showmanship. Still a tremendous album, just not necessarily playing to my tastes.

I want to love Darkness, but there are too many songs I just outright don't like on it. And one of them is definitely Streets of Fire, unfortunately.

I want to love Darkness, but there are too many songs I just outright don't like on it. And one of them is definitely Streets of Fire, unfortunately.

I'm not a Streets of Fire fan, either.

Also on my "do not like" list are:

Factory
Something In the Night
Racing In the Streets

Streets of Fire is actually not so bad compared to the other three. I like the rest of the songs on the album a lot.

Back
Top Bottom