Random Music Talk XCVIII: When the Music's Over...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My favorite pen is actually a Pilot.

airplane-auto-pilot.jpg

I was just going to post 'excellent aussie music news: after ten (!) years, Pappa vs Pretty have decided to call it a day to pursure other interests'.

And just btw, what the fuck is it with bands who can't stick it out for the long haul (even if, as in this case, I rejoice at the split)? Some 'unearthed high' outfit called Snackadackyl quit basically as soon as they'd formed. Like, whatevs, dudes.

I genuinely had no idea Papa Vs Pretty were still together, or that they'd been around for ten years. Though personally I think their main problem was not their music, but their band name. Good grief, try harder. Snakadaktal too, which is meant to be a portmanteau of "snake" and "pteradactyl" but instead sounds like a lame treat marketed at harried parents who want to put something "cool" in their kids' lunchboxes.

I really love Total Control's new record Typical System. It's an excellent throwback to icy European new wave like Kraftwerk, Republika, Ultravox and so on.

This is one of the more guitar-driven tracks, but it's a good primer for the album:

Total Control - Safety Net - YouTube

I genuinely had no idea Papa Vs Pretty were still together, or that they'd been around for ten years. Though personally I think their main problem was not their music, but their band name. Good grief, try harder. Snakadaktal too, which is meant to be a portmanteau of "snake" and "pteradactyl" but instead sounds like a lame treat marketed at harried parents who want to put something "cool" in their kids' lunchboxes.

Papa Vs Pretty are a band I deliberately avoided, and I have no regrets about that. I saw Snakadaktal live at Laneway and everyone was going off and I was just standing there like "THIS IS SO FUCKING AVERAGE WHY CAN'T I FIND MORE PEOPLE WHO ARE LIKE ME"

We've had this conversation almost as many times as Peef says 'I don't like the bit where he says pow pow' hahahahAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA remember that joke guys?!!?!?!?!?! I didn't run that into the ground at all.

The Heroes talk is really just a cry for help. Perhaps someone will someday answer that question for us and we can move on.

Anyway, I sincerely hope that Random Pen Talk doesn't join the rotation along with Random Weather Talk and Random Cure Talk.

Last edited:
Haha that's the thing, we'll always hold out hope. Maybe one day, in 20 years, you or I will stumble upon a no-name record in the back of a reduced bin, and the first track will sound like Sons of the Silent Age, and we'll rejoice.

At some point, I'll just give up and make the album myself.

Maybe in 20-30 years music will have caught up to Heroes and everything will sound like that. :cute:

Last edited:
For now, the closest I've gotten is late 70s Roxy Music and Japan's Quiet Life album.

Japan - Fall in love with me - YouTube

But even that isn't really a great example of what Japan sounds like in general. That was a transitional period for them; their other albums are either dark new wave or straight glam.

I really love Total Control's new record Typical System. It's an excellent throwback to icy European new wave like Kraftwerk, Republika, Ultravox and so on.

This is one of the more guitar-driven tracks, but it's a good primer for the album:

Never heard of them, but your description certainly has me intrigued.

Even though we already briefly talked about it, anyone going to make a mid year 2014 best of thread?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Funny you mentioned that. I just listened to this album this morning and I absolutely loved it!

Every now and then I get 10cc's "I'm Not In Love" stuck in my head and I always think of LCD Soundsystem, because they used it as their intro music for the last show. Really great song.

For now, the closest I've gotten is late 70s Roxy Music and Japan's Quiet Life album.
quiet life is fucking amazing. that applies to both the title track and the album itself. and the follow-up, gentlemen take polaroids? total perfection. i could write one of those huge long-winded posts about what i think of their music, including a lot of the members' post-japan stuff.

not to mention the band life without buildings everyone's been talking about on here was named after one of their songs. :wink:

quiet life is fucking amazing. that applies to both the title track and the album itself. and the follow-up, gentlemen take polaroids? total perfection. i could write one of those huge long-winded posts about what i think of their music, including a lot of the members' post-japan stuff.

not to mention the band life without buildings everyone's been talking about on here was named after one of their songs. :wink:

Japan is definitely one of my favorite bands. Started with Tin Drum and worked backwards from there.

David Sylvian's solo work is so smooth. Secrets of the Beehive is one of those classic albums that everyone should hear regardless of their tastes.

I listened to Gentlemen Take Polaroids recently. Individual stuff I'd heard by Japan, I'd not cared for, so I was hesitant, but I enjoyed the album very much.

Japan is definitely one of my favorite bands. Started with Tin Drum and worked backwards from there.

David Sylvian's solo work is so smooth. Secrets of the Beehive is one of those classic albums that everyone should hear regardless of their tastes.
YEEEEEES. i started with quiet life and went forwards, and then checked out their first two albums.

definitely agreed. it's such a great album.

I listened to Gentlemen Take Polaroids recently. Individual stuff I'd heard by Japan, I'd not cared for, so I was hesitant, but I enjoyed the album very much.
god yes. the entire first side of the album in particular is so great.

I know one of the songs I really liked was "Burning Bridges", but I can't remember what the other one was.

I listened to half the new SLF album. I'll reserve actual opinions for after I've heard the whole thing and not on shitty speakers. But I was not so impressed. Absolutely going to see them play in Boston in September.

In other news, I can't remember how to change my avatar on my phone, so I guess that's one place Sonnen won't get fired from.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom